Buying kit to last?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Micke

Sep 22, 2014
Cambs, England.
The last 2 replies are what I worry about, because I see them as conflicting. One argument is that it will do everything and mow the lawn if I ask politely, the other says it's a singular use item.

I will check out the videos nonetheless.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
It's not a single use item, it's a knife. That doesn't make it a wrecking bar or an axe though.

A fundamental part of bushcraft is using the correct tool for the job or making one where required.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I'd rather have 10 £10 moraknives than 1 £100 knife any day. Guess I'm in the cult there lol seriously though I own 2 mora crook knives, 2 mora frost wood Knives a 106 nd a 120, 1 mora classic carbon, 1 mora pro carbon, 1 mora companion stainless steel as my home kitchen knife and 3 mora heavy duty to lend to folks who don't Ave a decent knife when out and about. Suppose I could have bought myself 1 'fancy' knife instead

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Aye the crook knives are the curved blades for carving bowls n spoons, the Mora frost are also carving knives but with small straight blades. Made these with a mora right handed crook knife and a mora frost 106, safe to say i am a Mora fanboi lol

12014-1411823019-7baa707267644fc68df1b5c39db8acd0.jpg

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Natural, they are made from american black walnut and once done i rubbed pure walnut oil into them and leave it to absorb in over a couple of days and then apply again, after about 10 coats they will be fully sealed, the little spoon is 2 coats ahead of the tablespoon and 4 coats ahead of the knife

Thread of their development

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....As for the hatchet, well that much I just went by recommendation and generally seeing what most people used that were in a position I'd like to be in myself. £60 for a hatchet that will presumably last me a good 10-20 years at the very least is a pretty good investment...

10 or 20 years isn't a very long time even for a cheap hatchet. I still have the Plumb hatchet (admitedly not cheap, and unfortunately they're no longer made) that I bought some 45 years ago. It was never treated gently; it's been used as a for chopping and splitting as a hatchet should be, it was also used extensively as a hammer to drive in tent pegs, to cut barbed wire (not with the edge) to dig, and any number of other tasks, and for throwing. I fully expect a hatchet or axe to last in terms of generations rather than "years."

Last edited:

Brynglas

+1 on the Mora, I've just this weekend sharpened up a Mora that I was given in 1987, it's battered and looking it's age and the blade has been sharpened out of shape over the years but it's still solid. It hasn't been looked after at all, used to open paint tins, cutting large mooring ropes and all sorts of other stuff. It's survived the abuse though and I'd recommend Mora any day.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I can certainly vouch for the hultafors knives, I have a heavy duty craftsmen, cost £5 delivered (amazon!) and has proven to be a solid bit of kit. Also tonnes of vids on youtube where people have tested these knives to destruction and they still come out shining. I am in a similar position in so much as ive started out (9 or so months ago now!) with a limited budget but harbouring intentions to buy good quality gear and have found that you can get lots of good quality stuff for not a lot of wonga. I also use an opinel folding knife and find it compliments the hultafors perfectly as the thinner blade can come in handy for carving and small jobs and that cost less than a tenner.
You also don't necessarily need a crook knife for spoon carving. I've carved a couple of spoons with an opinel and made the bowl shape of the spoon by using hot coals from the fire - works really well!

Ex army gear is also good quality. Heavy yes, but not nearly as heavy as people like to make out and as boris the blade said in the film 'Snatch' "heavy...is sign of reliability!..."

rg598

Native
Hi rg,

Thanks for the advice :)

The things I looked at weren't necessarily fashion-oriented, but I must admit, they do look nice. I'd rather leather than kydex and I'd rather wood than plastic, as an example.

As far as the ferro rod is concerned -- Yes, eventually I'd love to use friction and flint and steel as my primary means of fire, but while I improve upon my skills and slowly transition over to those skills, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to use a ferro rod.

With regards to the knife and axe -- I've looked at Mora knives and personally struggled to see them as a long-term, one-size-fits-all knife that I wouldn't end up replacing, maybe even multiple times. I've been told repeatedly by my Father to buy a full tang knife because of durability for tasks like batonning and generally lasting longer.

As for the hatchet, well that much I just went by recommendation and generally seeing what most people used that were in a position I'd like to be in myself. £60 for a hatchet that will presumably last me a good 10-20 years at the very least is a pretty good investment and I wouldn't feel like I should be questioning the craftsmanship of the product I'd invested in to last.

Much the same sentiments with knives. I'd rather buy one that's hopefully going to last, which is why I considered the carbon steel as well as full tang.

My opinions and assumptions may be that of ignorance on the subject, but that's why I am asking here :)

The only reason why I mentioned what I did was because you expressed a desire for simplicity, practicality, skills, and minimalism. If that is the criteria for choosing your gear, then there are much better ways to spend your money than a $120 knife and a $120 hatchet. My advise is to get yourself a cheap Mora (which will last you for the rest of your life just like any other knife, short of using it as a pry bar), and buy the dullest old hatchet you can find. By the time you have finished sharpening it and hanging it, you will have developed a lot more skills than you ever will carrying around a GB hatchet. Spend the rest of the money on the items that really matter like a good sleeping bag and pad. We all love knives and axes, but if I'm honest with you, they are not the most important items in your pack.

If on the other hand looks and feel of gear plays an important role in the choices, then yes, go with the items that get your imagination going. If you don't like an item for some reason, you are likely to end up replacing it.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Before the net a lot of us more mature folk started with what ever we could lay our hands on. Axe's, hatchets, knives, etc, borrowed (with or without permision :rolleyes:) from the old mans shed, ex military gear for sleepng bags, ponchos, etc, It didn't matter what name was on it or what it looked like, we went out, we used it, overcame any failings and just had a good time!
I've still got some of this gear and it still works, the reason being is that it's been maintained, whatever you buy, look after it properly!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...We all love knives and axes, but if I'm honest with you, they are not the most important items in your pack..."

+1 to this.

"...ex military gear for sleepng bags, ponchos, etc, It didn't matter what name was on it or what it looked like..."

I am still using the 58 pattern poncho I borrowed money from my mum to buy when I was an Army cadet some thirty six years ago. :)

Last edited:

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Ex army gear is also good quality. Heavy yes, but not nearly as heavy as people like to make out and as boris the blade said in the film 'Snatch' "heavy...is sign of reliability
Boris
Who! Boris the bullet dodger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Ex army gear is also good quality. Heavy yes, but not nearly as heavy as people like to make out and as boris the blade said in the film 'Snatch' "heavy...is sign of reliability
Boris
Who! Boris the bullet dodger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love that film!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE