What would you do with 30 acres of woodland?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
Be very wary of any association with the Scouts without the modern view of landscape management.
Their older handbooks for camping assume that they can RAVAGE the forest for every stick and twig
in their encyclopedia of bushcraft.
Whole regions of the USA have been ruined before a stop was put to their handcrafts.

klenchblaize has a useful idea = 6" x 6" posts and an 8' fence.
I suggest a posted number = Bushcraft Camping by permission only.
Your land.
You control the numbers (sensible, huh?)
All the money is yours to defray the disturbances to the landscape.

May I suggest you look up a few UK Scouts websites and get a copy of the Scout Mag - things have moved on a lot.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I would want to consider the type of habitat present first. I'd recommend doing a National Vegetative Classification (NVC) survey (see these links for details here and here). When I bought these books they cost over £100 a pop. I think you can get them in paperback nowadays, so they're a lot cheaper.

You'll need someone who can apply a bit of scientific methodology, not just identifying species; if I recall correctly, the basic approach is contained in the books...it isn't difficult and requires surveying a number of 1m quadrats. The species composition of these quadrats, coupled with the composition of the understory and canopy, allow you to identify the vegetation type i.e. the kind of woodland you have. By classifying the habitat present, you can make more informed decisions over the management of that habitat and get an idea of species that might be present (which you may not have seen). It will allow you to describe the woodland by using a simple alpha-numeric e.g. W17 (Quercus spp. - Betula Spp - Deschampsia flexuosa woodland). Maybe Harvestman can provide this service? Alternatively, you could contract a professional field biologist or perhaps approach a college/university to see if student could do it....maybe someone like THOaken from this forum, for instance. Alternatively, maybe someone from your local wildlife trust could help or provide advice.

I would also survey the species present to produce species lists, including flowering plants, mosses, lichens, fungi, invertebrates (moth surveying is fun - this is the book to get) as well as the more obvious bird and mammal species (including bats).

Once you have this information, you can try to complete a woodland management plan (see here). This will put you in a position to apply for a grant under the Countryside Stewartship Scheme. This will define a number of agreed management objectives and activities to enhance biodiversity or flood prevention, etc. Then you will simply need to implement the management plan. Incidentally, none of the above would necessarily prevent you from using the woodland for bushcraft or rearing pigs or shooting deer or whatever. Indeed, rearing pigs or shooting deer could be seen as a positive component of the proposed management. If you do go down this route, I would recommend that you leave one area of the woodland completely untouched, to act as a control and something against which the managed part of the woodland can be compared. Please remember, no intervention can be seen as a positive management decision/strategy, if that's what you decide.

Unfortunately, I do not live local to you and, to be honest, my field biology skills are more than a little rusty and my habitat management knowledge is (doubtless) no longer current.

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
If, and it is a big if, income is not crucial then I would see whether it would work for a prehistoric experience place. Prehistoric reenactors are not usually flush with cash but I am certain that you would get assistance from that community in building whatever prehistoric house would fit the area's history and potential interest. Couple this with a field archery course and experience days, if you were interested in such things and there would certainly be some income. PM me if this sort of thing appeals if you like and I might be able to assist with more info.

Of course, the above is not necessarily incompatible with the other suggestions.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If, and it is a big if, income is not crucial then I would see whether it would work for a prehistoric experience place. Prehistoric reenactors are not usually flush with cash but I am certain that you would get assistance from that community in building whatever prehistoric house would fit the area's history and potential interest. Couple this with a field archery course and experience days, if you were interested in such things and there would certainly be some income. PM me if this sort of thing appeals if you like and I might be able to assist with more info.

Of course, the above is not necessarily incompatible with the other suggestions.

I have always thought that is great idea for west wales. Castell henllys is missing a trick by not having overnight stays. Apart from history tourists and reenactors there is larpers and eco-tourists and bushcrafters of course. There are quite a few roundhouse builders in the area. Some charge a stupid amoumt, but the uni does welsh history, well educated well fed volunteers that are kept warm can achieve a huge amount.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE