Buying kit to last?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Micke

Sep 22, 2014
Cambs, England.
Hi folks,

So I am looking at buying some quality kit that will last.

I know Bushcraft is the same as anything where you can really go to town, however I'd still like it to be a sensibly priced as possible.

I think ultimately as my skill set expands, I'd like to move more towards primitive and a more minimalist experience than taking a whole bergen full of gear.

Knife wise I am looking at the Casstrom no. 10 Swedish forest knife.

Hatchet wise I am looking at the Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet with something like this belt loop, sold by a member here.

Fire wise, I'll likely get a sheath for the knife that has a firesteel holder and likely get an army steel in there. I'd still like also to have a flint and steel kit to use and the means for bow drill.

Tinder pouch is something I've struggled with sourcing as I'd still like something spacious enough to keep larger items in, like cramp balls, as well as other, finer materials. I'd like to keep this leather as well for the durability factor.

Preferably the majority of kit will be transportable on a belt and maybe a small backpack.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Speak to John Fenna about one of his sets of leather pouches. They're a brilliant size and shape for firekit .....guess how I know ? :D

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wouldn't buy Casstrom kit expecting quality. The knives of theirs I owned didn't fit that definition - there are much better made knives out there. Given your stated preference for quality talk to FGYT or HillBill on here - they both make top end knives.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Sometimes quality really pays, at least in part because a good quality tool usually performs better than a cheap one. You get exceptions of course. On other occasions cheap does perfectly well and is sometimes a good idea if you aren't yet sure what kit suits you and what you do. When you start to refine what you like then you might consider the expensive stuff - or maybe not. Most of my bike clothes come from Aldi, for example, because even though they only last half as long as the posh stuff, they cost 1/3 of the price.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
With regards to cutting tools, I'd suggest you get a Mora, a Bacho Laplander and go for a smaller hatchet, rather than the axe. Something like a GB wildlife hatchet, if you want to buy quality.

You can upgrade the Mora if you want, but you don't necessarily need to. If you do decide to upgrade, you will still have the Mora as a backup knife. My recommendation for something a bit more expensive, but not necessarily better, would be an enzo trapper or nordic from brisa.fi. You can get the style sheath you want, although a hand made version will be better made and last longer.

The Bacho Laplander is an affordable and very capable folding saw that is recommended and used by everyone from novices to professionals. It will come in very handy and last the test of time.

The axe / hatchet is something that I value, but not everyone uses often due to the type of camping they tend to do. You need only look at the classified section to see how many small forest axes come up for sale by folk who don't actually need them. I'd suggest something smaller like a wildlife axe, or if you have the budget the Outdoor axe. Even if you find you want a bigger axe, these will still get used and they hold their value well. I think for a beginner, it is a better investment.

With regards to the leather axe loop, you may not want one. I make leather stuff for guys on here regularly and I find that my own axe loop doesn't really get used. I prefer to just keep the axe/hatchet/ hawk in my belt or carry it in my hand, and when not needed it will go back in the pack. I prefer how small axes carry across the back stuffed into a belt. If you find this method uncomfortable, then I'd buy an axe loop.

Tinder pouches can be ordered to you spec from any of us who make leather stuff or someone local to you. As regards a backpack and belt pouches, we seem to prefer the leather and canvas stuff on here. However, what you intend to do will determine the size and type of pack which will be most suited to your needs.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I presume you've got your boots and bedding sorted? If not, I'd spend as much as you can on those two items and get the best you can as it all starts there; as the saying goes, if you ain't in one you're in the other. :)

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Good clothing is what I would spend good money on first. The right clothes make being outdoors fun in all weather. After that comes the toys...
Riven.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Axe/hatchet wise. GB is very bushcrafty and all but you will get outstanding quality, durability and performance form fiskars. X7 for about £30...

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Got to agree with Bigmonster GB axe very nice and all that but as some will tell you themselves there are axes out there just as good for less money, or keep looking on here and someone will be selling something sometime...😉

Sent from somewhere?

Micke

Sep 22, 2014
Cambs, England.
Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Money is pretty tight at the moment, so I didn't want to go overboard, but I also want to do it 'right' the first time round.

If the knife is a no-go then I'll likely have to wait before shelling out more on a different one.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Good clothing is what I would spend good money on first. The right clothes make being outdoors fun in all weather. After that comes the toys...
Riven.

+1 to this. :)

I can build a shelter and make a fire with a butter knife from the breakfast table, it'll be hard but I'll enjoy the experience more if I'm properly dressed.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I will happily give you a better knife than a Casstrom free of charge Micke. Hultafors make a great little belt knife like a Mora. I use them as utility knives. If money is tight, send me you address and I will post you a new one gratis. I would far rather do that than see you waste your money on Casstrom tat (provided that you are over 18) :)

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
When I was a teenager I didn't had any money so I'm an expert :)
Cheap but still good stuff:
Mora knife, Hutafords knife, kitchen knife.
£6 waterproof utility tarp from eBay.
£4 camping foam mat from gooutdoors/tesco.
Any blanket or budget sleeping bag.
Either no stove with fire or a pepsi can alcohol stove + any pot from your kitchen.
Torch from £shop.
Cordage from any hardware store.
Any warm clothes + a poncho from £shop.

This will let you get out there and enjoy the outdoors. What money is really buying you is durability so your kit will last years (but you don't need that for now) and some weight off your back but you will be just fine if you only take what you need.

You probably not that depserate but I highly recommend watching on youtube anything with "homeless survival" in it. People have amazing ideas when they have to do with what they have.

Micke

Sep 22, 2014
Cambs, England.
I will happily give you a better knife than a Casstrom free of charge Micke. Hultafors make a great little belt knife like a Mora. I use them as utility knives. If money is tight, send me you address and I will post you a new one gratis. I would far rather do that than see you waste your money on Casstrom tat (provided that you are over 18) :)

That's an incredibly generous offer, but I think there will be people more needy than I am that would benefit more from your generosity :)

It's been a rough few years and I don't mind buying my kit over time, I just wanted to make sure that I don't rush (As I have in the past) and end up wasting money.

I do sincerely appreciate the offer though, especially since it's not like I'm a long-time member!

I certainly will be here for a long time though :) A lot of great resources here and a wealth of knowledge!

Micke

Sep 22, 2014
Cambs, England.
When I was a teenager I didn't had any money so I'm an expert :)
Cheap but still good stuff:
Mora knife, Hutafords knife, kitchen knife.
£6 waterproof utility tarp from eBay.
£4 camping foam mat from gooutdoors/tesco.
Any blanket or budget sleeping bag.

Either no stove with fire or a pepsi can alcohol stove + any pot from your kitchen.
Torch from £shop.
Cordage from any hardware store.
Any warm clothes + a poncho from £shop.

This will let you get out there and enjoy the outdoors. What money is really buying you is durability so your kit will last years (but you don't need that for now) and some weight off your back but you will be just fine if you only take what you need.

You probably not that depserate but I highly recommend watching on youtube anything with "homeless survival" in it. People have amazing ideas when they have to do with what they have.

The things I highlighted in green are things I already have :)

I will get a cheap tarp sooner or later or maybe borrow my Father's when he isn't using it.

Cheers

rg598

Native
If your actual goal is to go more primitive and minimalistic, I think your choices are too fashion oriented. A custom $100 knife? For what? A $120 hatchet? Why? Because they look good or someone on TV uses them? How is a ferro rod primitive or minimalistic?

If you want to use a hatchet, and you in fact want to go on the path that you have described, learn how to work on axes. Once you know how to do that you can bring most axes into working condition, and they will serve you well.

My recommendation: Buy a cheap Mora knife. It will last you for a very long time and cost you $15. Buy a $40 hatchet and learn how to work on it, i.e. how to re-profile and re-hang it. Get a piece of carbon steel and a piece of flint; make yourself a char box, and ditch the ferro rod, which is not a primitive or traditional tool at all. Then spend the $200 you just saved on a sleeping bag so you can actually go out into the woods. You are not going to look nearly as cool or "bushcrafty", but you will be much more suitably equipped for the woods, and much further along on your path to a more primitive or minimalist set up.

I know my post is harsh, but I don't want you to waste your money on the things that ultimately don't matter, but are just designed to get people to lose their money.

Micke

Sep 22, 2014
Cambs, England.
If your actual goal is to go more primitive and minimalistic, I think your choices are too fashion oriented. A custom $100 knife? For what? A $120 hatchet? Why? Because they look good or someone on TV uses them? How is a ferro rod primitive or minimalistic?

If you want to use a hatchet, and you in fact want to go on the path that you have described, learn how to work on axes. Once you know how to do that you can bring most axes into working condition, and they will serve you well.

My recommendation: Buy a cheap Mora knife. It will last you for a very long time and cost you $15. Buy a $40 hatchet and learn how to work on it, i.e. how to re-profile and re-hang it. Get a piece of carbon steel and a piece of flint; make yourself a char box, and ditch the ferro rod, which is not a primitive or traditional tool at all. Then spend the $200 you just saved on a sleeping bag so you can actually go out into the woods. You are not going to look nearly as cool or "bushcrafty", but you will be much more suitably equipped for the woods, and much further along on your path to a more primitive or minimalist set up.

I know my post is harsh, but I don't want you to waste your money on the things that ultimately don't matter, but are just designed to get people to lose their money.

Hi rg,

Thanks for the advice :)

The things I looked at weren't necessarily fashion-oriented, but I must admit, they do look nice. I'd rather leather than kydex and I'd rather wood than plastic, as an example.

As far as the ferro rod is concerned -- Yes, eventually I'd love to use friction and flint and steel as my primary means of fire, but while I improve upon my skills and slowly transition over to those skills, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to use a ferro rod.

With regards to the knife and axe -- I've looked at Mora knives and personally struggled to see them as a long-term, one-size-fits-all knife that I wouldn't end up replacing, maybe even multiple times. I've been told repeatedly by my Father to buy a full tang knife because of durability for tasks like batonning and generally lasting longer.

As for the hatchet, well that much I just went by recommendation and generally seeing what most people used that were in a position I'd like to be in myself. £60 for a hatchet that will presumably last me a good 10-20 years at the very least is a pretty good investment and I wouldn't feel like I should be questioning the craftsmanship of the product I'd invested in to last.

Much the same sentiments with knives. I'd rather buy one that's hopefully going to last, which is why I considered the carbon steel as well as full tang.

My opinions and assumptions may be that of ignorance on the subject, but that's why I am asking here :)

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Now you have done it... Never ever diss the Mora on any outdoor forum cause you get straighten up very quickly :)

After my poor days as a teen I went on a shopping spree regarding knives. I have been through fallkniven, s30v, custom, cold steel, laminated steels, survival knives, military knives, hollow handle and full tang etc. You name it I have tried it. And I'm carrying £10 mora on me...
There is no "mora cult", they simply are that good. Ergonomy, durability, usability, weight etc. And for next to nothing (I bought mine used for £3!). Go on YT and search for "mora destruction test" if you have any doubts. Not to mention the fact that they are used and recommended by Ray Myers and Mors Kochansky....

Seriously, mora is a knife for years and it's perfect for any buschcraft chore including batning. Great to learn sharpenng or even to rehandle if you don't like plastic.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Don't worry about breaking a Mora. It won't happen as long as you use it as a knife.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE