Karrimor K-SB boot woes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Another Meindel hater here. Poor build quality - I've had eyelets rip out, leaks, all sorts. Not for me in future. Still in search of the right high cut (8 eyelet type) brown leather boot with no liner. Till then its KSBs and Le Chameau

Red

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Another Meindel hater here. Poor build quality - I've had eyelets rip out, leaks, all sorts. Not for me in future. Still in search of the right high cut (8 eyelet type) brown leather boot with no liner. Till then its KSBs and Le Chameau

Red

Ahh, maybe we could have our own subforum :lmao:

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.

Red

Lowa Patrols? IIRC they don't have a liner and although they're supposed to be the lower cut version compared to the combat boots they're almost as high as magnums. I had a pair of the Lowa Mountain boots through work and the soles were a little on the hard side but they're absolutely bloody indestructable!

Had them for nearly two years now, wear them almost every day and the only sign of wear is a little to the sole and a few minor scrapes and scuffs to the leather uppers.

Considering at work I went from Magnums to the Lowa's they killed my feet at first but they have to be the toughest boots I've ever seen.

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I got a pair of military Lowas on order after two pairs of pro boots failed in the same week!
The soles disintegrated on both pairs, strange thing was one pair was 18 months old the other 6 months old with very low wear.I won't be buying them again.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I have mates in the German military and they swear by Lowa's.

I am still using my old Danner boots after being warned off KSB's, I do like them but they are black so I was perusing a brown pair for my birthday.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Yup I always found that gortex lined boots were sweaty. On chatting to the guy in Tisos he said that the linings were cut to fit the boots so most of the liner was actually the taped up seams?! Not sure if that’s true but hey. I searched hi and low for a pair of unlined boots ....... real struggle to find these days ...... and ended up with the only pair I could find ..... Scarpa Nepals.

Hill walking boots: Scarpa Nepal - excellent leather boots with no liner.
Weekend Warrior boots: Lowa Super Camp - excellent leather boots again with no liner
Hot Weather/Travel: Hi-tech Trail 2 boots or Meindl Desert Fox - both excellent non lined boots although if wearing the wrong socks the heels of the Meindls can pinch a bit.

......... I've also heard that there have been bulk private purchases of the KSB Outback boots being shipped out to Afghanistan as the troops have found them to be superior to the normal issue boots, issue Meindls and issue Altbergs.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
......... I've also heard that there have been bulk private purchases of the KSB Outback boots being shipped out to Afghanistan as the troops have found them to be superior to the normal issue boots, issue Meindls and issue Altbergs.

Now why doesn't that surprise me!:rolleyes:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a pair of KSBs and although they do sometimes get a bit sweaty I personally haven't had any dramas with them, I think they are a good strong boot.

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.

KSB's found to be superior to Altbergs??? Now that does surprise me...

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.

Red

Strange init? I've had the same bother with KSBs.:rolleyes: :)

The best fabric boots I've had were Asolo,comfortable as slippers,wore well,waterproof.....but not puppy proof.:yikes: :aargh4: :(

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I've had two pairs of KBS Skye 300 leather boots fail on me, in both cases the hard innersole plate cracked and the boot started clicking when walking.

1st pair was replaced by Blacks under warranty at 6 months , 2nd pair at about 18 months at my expense.

I don't give them to much stick walking but suspect that kneeling down or crouching doesn't help.

Also I have small (UK7) feet but take a wide fitting and have trouble-finding boots that fit, the KBS range fit well but the quality has gone down hill since manufacture was shipped to China.

Anyone suggest another make?

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Tiz true that goretex lined boot's arnt that breathable, but they do dry out over night unlike leather which will stay damp for days on end if on a longer trip. As for the goretex booty being mostly taped seams this depends on the design ordered by the boot manufacturer, some use more or less seams. Remember that glue is not breathable either so when the bootys attached to the felt lining thats the end of any real breathablity anyway :rolleyes:
Unlined fabric boot's for summer with some spare socks, well built leather boot's for the winter with as few seams as possible to reduce likelyhood of leaks, rest of the time sandals :)
As for Meindl build quality i've never had any problems, used them for 15yrs now (man i'm old) and have nothing but praise for them. Sold them for about 7 yrs and maybe had a pair a year back, thats not bad going for the amount we sold :cool: (Like to say i no longer work in the industry :togo: )

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
KSB's found to be superior to Altbergs??? Now that does surprise me...

Aye took me by surprise too. Obviously not everyone hated them but those putting them to the test (at that time it was the Para's in Helmand) found that they provided very little ankle support and the eyelets got ripped off very quickly so the guys ditched them. It was a while back and I think Altberg may have remedied the situation now as they now seem to produce about 3 different types. I've never heard anything but praise for their black leather combat boots though.

The KSB Outbacks were the most sought after followed by the Meindls and then the Altbergs ........ I suspect the issue boots came in last ;) . Spamel can probably give a better insight into the issue version.

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
Anyone suggest another make?

Yep, give the Lowa Mountain's a try, They're available in a wide fitting too. I can honestly say they're the toughest boots I've ever had, and I'm a real kit monster. They can come up a bit small so I'd consider going up maybe half a size. The cheapest Lowa's I've found are here;

http://www.polimil.co.uk/acatalog/Lowa_Mountain_Boot_GTX__129_99.html

The KSB Outbacks were the most sought after followed by the Meindls and then the Altbergs ........ I suspect the issue boots came in last ;) . Spamel can probably give a better insight into the issue version.

Beermonster, you seen these yet?;

http://www.polimil.co.uk/acatalog/Lowa_Desert_Elite_UK__114_95.html

They've only been out a few weeks, look like basically the mountain boot adopted for desert conditions. If they're anything like the mountain boots they should be pretty squaddie proof.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Beermonster, you seen these yet?;

http://www.polimil.co.uk/acatalog/Lowa_Desert_Elite_UK__114_95.html

They've only been out a few weeks, look like basically the mountain boot adopted for desert conditions. If they're anything like the mountain boots they should be pretty squaddie proof.

Haven't seen them in the "flesh" but they look good! Rumour has it they were developed at the request of the MODs Defence Clothing Integrated Project Team (DC IPT) and that 200 pairs of these and other off the shelf boots are currently on trail with troops in both the sandy and the rocky place. Plenty of other very fancy kit on trail at the moment too. We'll have to wait and see what happens :) ...... the MOD seems to finally be getting their act together.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
On the subject of Gore-Tex getting sweaty, the Meindl site FAQ says not to wear cotton socks - I guess they soak the sweat up instead of releasing it?

Black.Sheep, the reason I went for the Meindl's was the wide fitting, so maybe try them.

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
Haven't seen them in the "flesh" but they look good! Rumour has it they were developed at the request of the MODs Defence Clothing Integrated Project Team (DC IPT) and that 200 pairs of these and other off the shelf boots are currently on trail with troops in both the sandy and the rocky place. Plenty of other very fancy kit on trail at the moment too. We'll have to wait and see what happens :) ...... the MOD seems to finally be getting their act together.

Good stuff, good to see hopefully someone's pulling their finger out and the boys over there are getting the kit they deserve.

On another note, it'll be interesting to see what comes out on top after some field testing. As you seem to be well in the know, any chance you could let us know what the results are please?

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Good stuff, good to see hopefully someone's pulling their finger out and the boys over there are getting the kit they deserve.

On another note, it'll be interesting to see what comes out on top after some field testing. As you seem to be well in the know, any chance you could let us know what the results are please?

Not really in the know :eek: . The KSB info has come from a couple of mates who were out in Afghanistan and the other info about Lowa dessies was a rumour on another forum ..... still just a rumour ..... all be it from someone who seems to know their stuff. Still I'll keep my ear to ground :D .

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I've just wrecked a pair of KSB Orkney boots I've used every day for a year at work, plus walking, camping etc. The boots were great but the crappy Vibram sole split after wearing right down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE