Karrimor K-SB boot woes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi all,

Just got back from a very wet week on Explorer Scout camp and thought I should report on the problems I had with my boots.

I bought a pair of K-SB's last September (e-Vent waterproof lining fabric boots) for milling about and camping in. They've seen fairly light use, nothing serious at all, and all was well until camp last week.

Ok, it was wet, it rained virtually non-stop for the first few days and the grass was very long, but having spent £70 on these boots I would expect them to be able to cope, however after about a day a large split developed in the nubuck/suede leather on one side of one of the boots (just above the sole), followed the next day by a similar split in the other side of the boot - not impressed! Apart from that, even the boot with no problems was letting in water after about half a day around site - not particularly impressive.

I spent the rest of camp in a pair of £10 trainers from Tesco's - not wanting to destroy the boots completely and risk being accused of abusing them and not being able to take them back. (These faired considerably better than the boots!)

On the plus side, I took them back to Blacks yesterday and they were quite happy to change them and apologetic, I decided to go for a pair of Meindel Gore-Tex XCR fabric boots this time - lets hope they fair better - anyone got any experience of them?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Yep, I've used meindl in the past and hated them. They're as breathable as wellies, warm as h3ll in summer and cold as h3ll in winter. The rubbering above the sole dried up and cracked in about 1½ year. They're very stiff, as they're made for mountains (an environment were they are often to cold), and the pattern in the soles makes mud clog up, so you end up with platforms. They take ages to dry when the get wet, which they do because the Gore-tex Schmore-tex starts leaking the minute you take them out of the store, or at least after about 10 days of continuous use. Almost forgot, the quality of the leather work is inferior, started getting splits on the inside, right before I bought new boots.

Apart from that they're ok. Not. I don't like them is basically what I'm trying to say here.

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
I've had a pair of Meindl's in the past and they were fine. The leather & goretex wasn't the most breathable but then it never is on any brand boot I've had, kept them reasonably clean and applied leder gris (a leather treatment) every now and again to keep the leather supple and stop it from cracking and they did fine.

They lasted about 2 1/2 - 3 years before they started leaking, with no other visable damage and they were used almost every day. Considering I weigh a ton and am very hard on boots that's pretty good going in my book.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
I've had a pair of Meindl's in the past and they were fine. The leather & goretex wasn't the most breathable but then it never is on any brand boot I've had, kept them reasonably clean and applied leder gris (a leather treatment) every now and again to keep the leather supple and stop it from cracking and they did fine.

They lasted about 2 1/2 - 3 years before they started leaking, with no other visable damage and they were used almost every day. Considering I weigh a ton and am very hard on boots that's pretty good going in my book.

Phew! Was starting to get worried about my new purchase - anyone else want to stick their 2p in??

I've got the fabic ones ('Magic' I think they're called!), so hopefully a bit more breathable than leather.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I'm not keen on leather and gortex combined. Prefer leather on its own. Why stick a non-beathable* liner inside a material that is already highly water resistant

(* - ok gore-tex is apparently breathable, but I just dont get on with it)

Got a pair of meindl burma or borneo...which ever was the gortex free version. Had them for almost two years now and they are great. Like Jambo, i keep them clean and treat them with leather conditioner now and then.

Meindl are definately a better maker than Karrimor imo and think you will be very pleased with your purchase.

Andyre

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
Abingdon, Oxon
I am surprised that you had problems, I have owned 3 pairs of various styles of KSB's for the last 5 years and rate them. They have been used for daily dog walking, scout camps and serious hillwalking. Seems that you may have been unfortunate, At least you got them exchanged without any hassle.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
My pair is a couple of years old, so maybe they have shaped up? Of course I took care of my boots as good as I could, but oiling up the leather made the goretex even less breathable.

I agree with andyn, now it's only leather boots for me, or wellies if it's really wet.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
i've got some merrell walking shoes with gore tex and they're grand.

i've also got some gore tex merrell boots i've had for about 11 years, they still fit and are so snug and well made. they've stood up to so much abuse its untrue, still waterproof and warm - spot on

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Just recently (last year) changed from KSB Goretex to Meindl leather and I'll stick to the leather.
The goretex means an extra layer and thus more insulation,which is great in the cold but not so good in the summer.Also the goretex always seems to get a breach in it,making it leak.Well cared for leather is, IMO,just as good at keeping your feet dry and a bit cooler in summer.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Now on my second pair of Berghaus Explorers and think that these are the best boots in that price range(under £100). My last pair lasted 4/5 years of regular use before they started leaking.I bought a pair of Meindl Magics and they leaked:(

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I had a pair of timberland boots (the high nubuck ones for casual wear not field kit) and they failed in what sounds like a very similar way to the way you describe the karrimors going. I bought them in the US but returned them to the UK arm and got a new pair back, this was after about 8 months use. I spoke to the guy on email about it and he said it was due to the a problem when they cut the excess off the plastic sole and the blade goes slightly too deep just nicks the upper. If this gets wet it can easily get bigger until it tears clean through. He put it down to a manufacturing fault and replaced the boots, this was about 3 years ago and they're still going strong, sounds like you may have been unlucky.

Good luck with the new ones though!

Cheers,

Alan

O

oilyrag

I use Meindl Air Revolution 3.1, fabric & goretex xcr boots. Perfect for the Alpine environment all year round. They are mountain trekking boots with a grip that has halted many a dangerous fall, very solid and certainly better than the leather & goretex Lowa mountain boots. The downsides are the colour, orange & grey, the top lace hook should be made of stronger suff as is straightens under duress and they're pricey at about £140. The best leather boots I have are the French issue rangers boots. Take some breaking in, but are like trainers and cheap at about £30 a pop.

Hi Jon
no experiance of that particular Meindel boot but have been using a pair of Meindel Mountain Cracks for several years now with no problems at all as winter mountaineering boots and would go so far as to say they are fantastic. Good fit, not overly heavy(for what they are), waterproof and warm nice natural curve to the sole for walking, stiff enough for crampons.

Interestingly though for summer/low level boots I've sworn by KSB3's for more years than I care to remember. When mine finally gave out last year and I went to replace them with oddly enough another pair of the same the fit was'nt as good ( not just because they were new boots), the overall build quality seemed not quite as sturdy/hard wearing.

Apparently they are made by a different manufacturer now. I have used to destruction both the Asolo and Gaumont versions and been really happy with them, the newer one however although it still bears the KSB logo did'nt feel right and I left the shop with a pair of Asolo boots instead for about the same price (which incidently are imo brilliant).

All that said though the mega reduced KSB sandles I got at the outlet village two years ago are marvellous for £20.

Cheers Tim

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
My olive gren KSB's were bought in 1991, and are still going strong. Theres been absolutely no trouble with cracks, splits, or stitching coming apart, and I use my boots they arent trophy statement's :lmao: The rubber is still perfectly bonded to the suede. The vibrams are a little worn, but I've used these boots off and on for 16 years and am very happy with them. I seen more recent ones and they look more flimsy trainerish?? I expect they are made in china now? Not sure where mine were made. I have worn them for work, (before steelies were compulsory) they have ben washed in the washing machine a few times with no ill effect's, if it aint broke dont fix, they will last a while yet :D Damn good £60 worth

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Now on my second pair of Berghaus Explorers and think that these are the best boots in that price range(under £100). My last pair lasted 4/5 years of regular use before they started leaking.I bought a pair of Meindl Magics and they leaked:(

I tried the Berghaus ones in the shop, but they didn't fit - too tight across the ball of my foot - the Meindl's have more space inside.

Oh well, thanks for all the thoughts guys, I'll give 'em a go and see how they do in the winter!

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
I have to say, since Karrimor got sold off by the original owners a few years ago the build quality of their gear seems to have gone a bit skewed.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Hope you have more luck with the Magics than I did, they really are light and comfortable, I was happy to try another pair (again from Blacks) but apparently Meindl need to have them sent back before they will replace.

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
I bought a pair of karrimor ksb about 12 years ago i still have them they are battered and soles are nearly smooth but they are still water proof and i have never treated them only cleaned them with soap and water, i did buy a pair of black leather ksb out of tk max they leaked in the rain cheap and nasty not even sure if they were legit karrimor. I now have a pair of scarpas excellent boots highly recommend them. My first pair of gore tex boots were by line-7 i havenjt been able to find them anywhere i wore them till the sole holed out and believe it or not they were stil keeping out the wet!!

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
........I went to replace them with oddly enough another pair of the same the fit was'nt as good ( not just because they were new boots), the overall build quality seemed not quite as sturdy/hard wearing.

Apparently they are made by a different manufacturer now. I have used to destruction both the Asolo and Gaumont versions and been really happy with them, the newer one however although it still bears the KSB logo did'nt feel right and I left the shop with a pair of Asolo boots instead for about the same price (which incidently are imo brilliant).

I too had some KSB's which I bought back in 90'ish on recomendation from a chap in Wales. They wore out, no surprise really, so I went along to Blacks in Northampton last year to replace them. Now the Blacks head office is in Northampton so the chap in the store has a good idea thru head office with what is going on in the industry. He told me not to bother with Karrimor anymore, I think his words were along the lines of "Since they sold out and production moved from Accrington to China the quality has gone to pot. With the boots the fit is not the same and the quality has definately gone downhill".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE