Jungle accident

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EmmaD

Forager
Feb 27, 2011
South Staffs
Like he hasn't got enough scars. He is covered in them.

Anyway, thank you all so much for your kind words and support. I spoke to him at length today and he has already escaped from hospital (he really hates them). He told me to post this up on here as some of you have these parangs on test or something.

In short, the tang that was stuck in with epoxy had come unglued from the wooden handle and had slowly worked forward without him noticing. He was only flicking small vines out of the way when it happened and clearing a small animal trail when the blade flicked completely out backwards towards his face. It all happened quite slowly but as he threw himself back to avoid it hitting his enormous conk on the way up, it came down and the blade sliced across his side and rib cage cutting some intercostal muscles and obviously the flesh there. He says it looked awful when it started gushing and from the angle of the cut looked like it had gone between the ribs quite deeply. When they got back to base camp, he had covered himself in claret and everyone thought his chest had been ripped open really badly and major panic happened. He was air lifted out, but he says it had been stemmed by then and the hospital just cleaned and stitched it. It's uncomfortable breathing sometimes and it hurts when he lifts his arm, but apart from that he is fine. He will be coming home though, which is great news for me.

Ged, he says he owes you a parang. It is very bloody and just a little bit broken. He apologises profusely and will replace it. He says you may need to get your others pinned just in case.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i have never been so worried about someone i only know through the internet lol! thank god he is ok. was it a good hospital? i know hospitals in other countries can be quite rough.
was that a FOX parang??

EmmaD

Forager
Feb 27, 2011
South Staffs
i have never been so worried about someone i only know through the internet lol! thank god he is ok. was it a good hospital? i know hospitals in other countries can be quite rough.
was that a FOX parang??

He did not expand on the hospital, as far as he is concerned, they are all bad places. If it is the parang I think it is, it was a native one from Borneo. He moaned about the Fox ones for jungle work so I doubt he would have taken those in. I do tend to switch off when he is rabbiting on about knives and things though.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
He did not expand on the hospital, as far as he is concerned, they are all bad places.

my dad is like that too... he has escaped through a few hospital windows because of injections lol!
well, i hope it was a neat and clean fix and he makes a full recovery.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
It all happened quite slowly but as he threw himself back to avoid it hitting his enormous conk on the way up, it came down and the blade sliced across his side and rib cage cutting some intercostal muscles and obviously the flesh there.

Anyone else thinking of a scene from "THE MATRIX". We'll have to call him Jonathan "Neo" Deval from now on :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just read this and am sorry to hear about his accident.

Glad to hear it was 'only' a flesh wound as it sounds like he was very lucky to get away with what he did.

Wish him a speedy recovery from me please Emma

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That sounds quite painful!
I have torn intercostals in the past and that was bad enough!
As to scars - well chics dig scars (or so I have been told) so no big worries once it has healed.
Anyway he has had worse chest injuries in th past eh?
Best wishes to him for a speedy return to full health!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good to hear he's coming home. If he wants a few days convalescence Emma whilst you are herding sprogs, tell him to give me a shout. I've got a great new knife he can.......oh.....never mind ;)

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Just found out about this last night - glad he's ok. Make sure he recovers as I want to hear the next chapter of Pistachio man!

Snozz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE