Jungle accident

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EmmaD

Forager
Feb 27, 2011
South Staffs
Just an update for those people enquiring after Jons latest expoits. He is OK, although the message conveyed to us originally was not quite right. He has not got deep lacerations to his chest, but a deep gash to his side which cut through his intercostals. He has had 18 stitches or staples.

According to him (just got off the phone) the blade of a machete slowly worked loose and forward, and eventually came out and flicked around and back at him.

He was hoping to get back out, but the doctors have advised against it because of infection.

Thanks to those that expressed concern in the previous post. I will let you know what is happening over the next few days. He has not had access to this site since he got into the jungle as it is restricted for some reason. But may be able to post from where he is now.

I have a message to pass on to a member here from him, but I forgot the name. Apologies in advance.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
sounds like he was pretty lucky really, it could've been much worse.

pass on my best wishes if you would.

stuart

EmmaD

Forager
Feb 27, 2011
South Staffs
To be honest Stu. it is almost a relief. The team leader had to bow out for good reasons and Jon had to take over with a weeks notice. That all meant extra forays he would have to go on, plus extra responsibility and fatigue. All that and his role of catching venomous snakes made for a really dangerous combination. Every time I spoke to him he was dead tired, and that was evening over here and about 2pm over there.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
sounds like he's bettor off out of it then, before something really goes horribly wrong.

thanks for keeping us informed emma, i'm sure that quite a few on here will be concerned.

stuart

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I dunno, you give a chap a bit of freedom and let him go off on his own, and look what happens...

Get him back here pronto, so we can be sure he's safe and sound.

Until then, I hope he's okay, and makes a full recovery. Then we can wind him up mercilessly about it all.

Regards to him, and thanks for the updates.

Mike

(If I'd known where he was going I'd have asked him to bring me back a spider...)

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
sounds like he's bettor off out of it then, before something really goes horribly wrong.

thanks for keeping us informed emma, i'm sure that quite a few on here will be concerned.

stuart

Absolutely, lets just get him home (not what he might wish) safely, there are more important things in life than snakes and heading up expeditions. My thoughts are with you both.

Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I missed the original info on this and have only just caught up....
Get that man of yours home where he can be looked after properly :)
Like most navy types he aint fit to be out on his own.... never mind playing with sharp toys!

It sounds like he came of lightly and is lucky to only have 18 staples...
Wish him well!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Tell him I hope he hasn't got blood all over my parang!

Thanks for letting us know, Emma, you know we're all rooting for him here. :)

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Missed the first post too....

Glad there was a good team to sort him out.
hope there is a speedy recovery.

Guess the word of warning should go out relating to large bladed tools....check the blade for cracks....check the handle is secure, check them frequently during use.

Mojo

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
i hope he recovers soon i am sure he will.sounds like they where giving him to much to do.

staples are better than stitches
my stitches on me knee still look:eek: whereas the staples i had on the other knee have faded quite quick

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
OMG! did he do it to himself or was it someone else? poor guy! :( how much longer is he supposed to be out there?
i suppose he wont get paid if he doesnt actually collect the snakes?
best wishes to him and i wish him a speedy recovery!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE