Jokkmokk - Sub Zero Trip - February 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Currently sat in Stockholm Arlanda waiting for the sleeper train. 3 hours free wifi is handy, just trying this tapatalk thing. Dunno how you guys managed to keep your baggage weight down, my two were 23 & 16 without a toboggan! 23 is limit on SAS. Will have to rebalance on return Norwegian has 20kg limit.

Jokkmokk here I come!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Currently sat in Stockholm Arlanda waiting for the sleeper train. 3 hours free wifi is handy, just trying this tapatalk thing. Dunno how you guys managed to keep your baggage weight down, my two were 23 & 16 without a toboggan! 23 is limit on SAS. Will have to rebalance on return Norwegian has 20kg limit.

Jokkmokk here I come!

Great news :) I think you did well to get there with that weight, I'm looking at possibly taking 3 bags.

Its overcast there so proper dark at night but the temps are a near perfect -10 ;a nice easing in to it.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Heh, all good ! Yeah that area is criss-crossed with foot paths and XC ski routes, looks like a sort of rec park.

Edit. that is, the area further north toward town, around lake Talvatis.
Just been thinking those paths will help us transport wood. Getting around the snow will be a lot easier to walk on than in the bush,wear its allmost to deep and powdery to move even with snow shoes. Working as a team to cut and transport wood will save energy and time as time is not on are side.Sorry to go on guys im just getting sycked up. This is going to be challenge to get the shelters built, collect wood and build fire, cook food and melt snow all before dark, or even in the dark and all after a big tiearing journey..I bet we will sleep well tho and in the morning we will wake feeling alive and ready for more hard work :) ...

udamiano

On a new journey
Another picture to set the juices flowering
ydaqu9e3.jpg

Out and about in the arctic forests of northern Sweden.
If you go down in the woods today, in for a big surprise...

udamiano

On a new journey
@ redfox.
The paths your looking at are lighted night ski paths, and to be honest would take you the best part of a day just to get to especially with the current level of snow. And you would also get all the snow mobile and ski traffic near any place you camp, as well as the Sami bring reindeer into that area, for the race. The area we suggested is quiet and has plenty of dead wood, and goes back quite a few miles if you want to :)

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
Thanks cliff. Big elk tracks near the camp this morning. Just need a flying pan big enough now Elk kebabs.. Bring it on
No elk in Jokkmokk I can guarantee you :) Only moose, reindeer - and maybe some roe deer?
The prepared XC-ski tracks are for skiing only, if you walk in them the locals will not be pleased=D

/Micke, 180km from Jokkmokk...

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
No elk in Jokkmokk I can guarantee you :) Only moose, reindeer - and maybe some roe deer?
The prepared XC-ski tracks are for skiing only, if you walk in them the locals will not be pleased=D

Moose is a North American word and IIRC, I'm pretty sure I've seen Elk warning signs on the roads all over Scandinavia. ?
They are the same species.

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
Moose is a North American word and IIRC, I'm pretty sure I've seen Elk warning signs on the roads all over Scandinavia. ?
They are the same species.
Moose is the english word we swedes use for the king of the forest, älg in swedish. Elk is not used.

udamiano

On a new journey
Interesting that the sausages are labeled as elk, which is the European common name for the species that is referred to in the colonies as moose.

Of course our colonial cousins also use the word elk for the species we call red deer, but as everyone knows we are two nations divided by a common language.

Written by Wayland, 0 miles from Jokkmokk

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire

Thank you MickeS i wouldnt want to upset any nice sweedish peoplel i will make sure i dont. Yure input will be very much appricated Asspseally you living around the corner from jokkomkk.:) ...are you going to the market.:) ...

Last edited:

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
@ redfox.
The paths your looking at are lighted night ski paths, and to be honest would take you the best part of a day just to get to especially with the current level of snow. And you would also get all the snow mobile and ski traffic near any place you camp, as well as the Sami bring reindeer into that area, for the race. The area we suggested is quiet and has plenty of dead wood, and goes back quite a few miles if you want to :)
Thanks guys i guess i will just have to keep cool until we get there. your camp looks very good guys :) ...

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
Thank you MickeS i wouldnt want to upset any nice sweedish peoplel i will make sure i dont. Yure input will be very much appricated Asspseally you living around the corner from jokkomkk.:) ...are you going to the market.:) ...
No worries, the local papers have each year readers angry comments about this, unaware people walking in the ski tracks so not even all swedes know this =D
We will propably not be going to the market, we prefer the summer markets in other towns instead:) A bit warmer then. We live in Luleå by the way, just came in from some pork and hot dog grilling over open fire, comfy -7C here now.

Good luck all with your trip and I hope you get to enjoy both some real cold and aurora borealis!

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
A bit of aurora tonight, some lovely bright stars, and minus 20 celcius.

Oh yes, spotted three elk as well from train this morning in the forest south of Murjek, which was a treat!

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Good one andy. Mad dave and I fly out later bring it on :dancer::dancer: Oh amost forgot THANKS FOR EVERYONES INPUT AND ADVICE:) ...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE