Jokkmokk - Sub Zero Trip - February 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

udamiano

On a new journey
As for fire wood! There is some dead wood around! But it's hard to tell the amount under all the snow!
The bus was waiting outside the station at Murjek and was a matter of 10 metres from the platform. The route into Jokkmokk takes you right past the campsite and if you let the driver know at the beginning he is happy to drop you off there.
We are out in the next couple of days and will have a better idea on the wood situation. We have been informed that it is not suitable to pitch any closer to the town than the pitch we suggested.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Heh, all good ! Yeah that area is criss-crossed with foot paths and XC ski routes, looks like a sort of rec park.

Edit. that is, the area further north toward town, around lake Talvatis.

Last edited:

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
For DUCky your pulka is looking bomb proff no snow is geting in their i like it. For Wayland and da the camping and bus info is very usefull thank you for finding the time. I have loged the co-ordinates and i think that the camp spot you have found will make a good home. I will see what mad Dave thinks i am sure when he sees the piictures he will want to camp ther. If we are all camped close it will save time meeting up for trips out on that lovely snow. As far as the wood situation if there are no dead standing trees nearby we will pull some in on are 8 foot tobogons from the endles forest.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Good point i have written down the directions anyway incase daves gps fails, i wouldnt count to much on technology working well out there :hatscarf:

udamiano

On a new journey
No problems guys. The local campsite does have a wifi access point however the signal is very unpredictable, and I don't always get a signal. But when I can ill post any relevant information.
The forest areas are quite deep snow, you will definitely need to snow shoe in that area as it is too deep without!
Weather is clearer during the week, with Sunny days expected this weekend, this however means that clear sky's at night will cause the temperature to drop drastically so prioritise having enough fuel to last the night. From the pitches it's about a 50minute walk into Jokkmokk, taking it steady! There is a pathway a little back from the road and I really recommend this as opposed to walking along the side of the road! As snow plows are often down that stretch and you don't want to argue with those fellas.
As for supermarkets, we found that ICA has a much better range of good than the coop although prices are about the same.
See you folks soon

udamiano

On a new journey
Today's view just around the corner

sysuduma.jpg

udamiano

On a new journey
A trek along the 'Arctic trail' definitely snow shoes all the way, currently the snow is just over a metre deep. At one point Wayland got me to step off the path to see how deep the snow is and it went straight up to my waist, even with snow shoes on. A really enjoyable day even when a tree dipped a load of snow down my neck
4e8upu9e.jpg

ezasuseh.jpg

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Ok folks, further update on suitable pitches.

Opposite the campsite and bus stop is a yellow house. 50mtrs towards Jokkmokk is a track on the left marked "storknobben"
reqepyre.jpg

ajerunaj.jpg

100mtrs up the track, it is crossed by a second track there is a lake to the left and you can still see the yellow house
a6y4e8ed.jpg

Turn RIGHT West by North West. On this track marked "Hembygdsgården"
anynu7y8.jpg

In a few metres you will see a red "X" on a pole to the right
y8adeguv.jpg

Ahead of you are two "X" on poles
aze4ehu2.jpg

To the right. About half way between these markers you should see our tracks on the left. Follow the track 50Mtr into the woods over the ridge and choose your spot. Have checked with local TI and its ok to pitch here.

Guys..... You rock !!!.... That'll save a whole lot of time finding suitable sites.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
The road into jokkomkk looks very nice but dangares. When i was in norway the trucks never slowed down they couldn;t as they needed to keep momentun for hill climbing i bet they drivee the same way there. Looks like good qwinsy building oppurtunities will arise. Mad Dave was saying he thinks his snow shows are a bit over kill but judging by your info report their not. Andy is probably thinking he should take his big old fashioned snow shoes. And i am thinking whats that elephant and why are you in a bath robe. Have a good camp thanks for the report.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE