Jokkmokk - Sub Zero Trip - February 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Capture-5_zps3765772a.png

Nice! :cool:

Mid to low -20's make for good fun. Not too cold to be a hinderence, not to warm to be moist n humid.... Excited already !! :D

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Anyone have a good carbon monoxide alarm they can recommend (battery operated and which can handle being the cold)? As I intend to try and sleep in an igloo or quinzee at least some of the time and/or light a stove in my tipi I am taking one of these alarms.

Any names or brands of proven alarms are much appreciated ;)

Lennart

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Anyone have a good carbon monoxide alarm they can recommend (battery operated and which can handle being the cold)? As I intend to try and sleep in an igloo or quinzee at least some of the time and/or light a stove in my tipi I am taking one of these alarms.

Lennart

As long as you have adequate ventilation and a "cold well" you should be fine. CO is heavier than air so will sink into your cold well and out the door. I doubt any electronic detectors will handle the cold.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

Lennart

We used to have little CO indicator patches at a previous employment where CO was a constant problem-very light and disposable IIRC.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/carbon-monoxide-detectorpatches-18227?c=maplin&utm_source=gcs&utm_medium=gcs_search&utm_campaign=GG65V&utm_content=Fire+%26+CO+Safety

Obviously, the operating temps need checking. ;)

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
As long as you have adequate ventilation and a "cold well" you should be fine. CO is heavier than air so will sink into your cold well and out the door. I doubt any electronic detectors will handle the cold.

I don't think CO will sink into the cold well. CO will pretty much mix with air and 'float around with it'. Several people die every year from CO poisoning sleeping in snow shelters, igloos and what not so I think there is a real danger. Of course with enough ventilation there shouldn't be a problem, but I would rather not take the risk on judging what 'enough' is.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Best thing to do is to do a dry run at home. Seal the gaps in the tent with snow and light your fire. You can then monitor a CO meter while keeping it warm (most stop working below 5 celsius). Get your stove full of smouldering green wood and then block the chimney. This is probably your worst case scenario. If this doesn't set off your alarm you'll probably be OK. I'd also advise you spend a little extra and get an alarm with a LCD readout rather than a simple meter with a preset alarm level.

Snow caves are often called snow coffins for good reason. Monoxide is just one of the killers in these shelters.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Snow caves are often called snow coffins for good reason. Monoxide is just one of the killers in these shelters.

Comforting words ID ;)
The whole thing collapsing is probably the greatest danger.

Woody installed CO alarms in the lavvus we slept in the first night in Bardufoss. Anybody took a closer look at those?
The units don't have to work at temps of -30C/-40C as it shouldn't be that cold in the (snow)shelter (which is the whole point of the snow shelter :)) Anything functional to up to around -10C should be good.

I will have a little search and let you know if I find anything.

Lennart

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Can you just PM Woody and ask him what you used?

Twodogs

I can and will but he is a busy man and probably off building a snow cave or hacking his way through the jungle as we speak ;)
Don't want to bother him if it isn't necessary.

I understand none of the other 'icemen' is bringing a CO alarm? Perhaps I am being overconcerned?

I found a FirstAlert CO meter that should work up to -20C. That wil do as it shouldn't be colder in the snow shelter or tipi.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Built corectly CO will never be a problem in a snow cave. The vent
The only heat source to be present in a snow cave is the body heat of those who sleep in it, and maybe a candle.
The most difficult is to find a suitable snowdrift to dig the cave in.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Just ordered a CO alarm that will work up to -30C. Agreed I am being (over)cautious.
I will most likely spend one or more nights in my tipi as well and with a stove going in there I have decided it is better to be safe than sorry ;)

As mentioned it shouldn't be a problem, but I would never forgive myself if I died from CO poisoning :D

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Ok Folks have spoken to a very nice lady from Swedish Rail.

The nearest Stations to jokkmokk are :

Boden 65,49' 44.47" N 21, 42' 29.44"E
Alvsbyn 65,40' 37.69" N 20, 59' 34.29" E

then it's a coach to Jokkmokk, this take 2hr 15, (both stations are the same distance in terms of coach times) I'm waiting for the bus company to confirm their timetable, at this time

the trains from Stockholm are at

17:58 (local) >>>>Alvsbyn (07:37) >>>Boden (08:08)
22.12 (Local) >>>>Alvsbyn (10:00) >>>Boden (10:30)

the cost of a single overnight ticket is 475.00 SK

Return. (its the same train that gos to both Boden, and Alvesbyn

Boden 17:29 (local) >>>>Alvsbyn 17:50 >>>>>>>>> Stockholm 06:30
Boden 18:54 (local) >>>>Alvsbyn 19:15 >>>>>>>>> Stockholm 09:20

Ticket prices are the same.

Ticket prices for a group of 6 in a cabin are 2,850 SK

Just awaiting campsite now

Thanks

Da

Any news on bus timetables yet Da??

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
As I have decided to lug around an auger (to gain access to liquid water if possible) I might as well do some ice fishing. Last trip in Norway we managed to catch nothing at all even using night lines. Anyone (local forum members perhaps) have suggestions on lines, hooks, bait that will maximise the chance of actually catching something? If I understand correctly I am allowed to fish using natural bait as part of the allemansrecht, but if I use lures or jigs I need a permit. Anyone know if nightlines are allowed in the Jokkmokk area? If so, I assume we would need a permit as the rod will not be within reach, right?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE