Jokkmokk - Sub Zero Trip - February 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Try this or better yet this site if you can work your way through the language..

Cheers, seen those mentioned before wayland, I was looking for good 'ol paper maps that I can have in me pocket with me compass ;-)

BTW, do you by any chance have any fur offcuts you could bring to Da's ? I need a couple of bits to stitch to the back of mitts as snot-wipes. Shortish sheepskin would be good. Also considering doing a ruff on my parka, but I think a nice bit of fox might be harder to come by ?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Cheers, seen those mentioned before wayland, I was looking for good 'ol paper maps that I can have in me pocket with me compass ;-)

BTW, do you by any chance have any fur offcuts you could bring to Da's ? I need a couple of bits to stitch to the back of mitts as snot-wipes. Shortish sheepskin would be good. Also considering doing a ruff on my parka, but I think a nice bit of fox might be harder to come by ?

Fair enough, I just printed out the maps I may need but mostly I'll be using printed out satelite images from Google.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Yeah, yeah, BTDT. A while back when I was looking, nice stuff (eg. silver fox) on Ebay was going for a fair price. Been keeping an eye on charity shops too but round here its all seems to be cheap tat... Just thought one of my buddies might be able to help me out and save me the bother. I'm imagining some folk have this kind of stuff literally strewn about the place !

Andy

Andy.

Look in the charity shops for those fur stoles that old ladies used to wear over their shoulders, or an old fur coat. Couple of quid should sort you out, I have a nice fox fur stole to sew on...

Or just type "fox fur" into ebay.. Loads of stuff from 99p

Example......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Beaut...UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item3a7ca66a5d

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> BTW, do you by any chance have any fur offcuts you could bring to Da's ? I need a couple of bits to stitch to the back of mitts as snot-wipes. Shortish sheepskin would be good. Also considering doing a ruff on my parka, but I think a nice bit of fox might be harder to come by ?

Found you a bit you should be able to make some wipers with, I'll bring it with me.

udamiano

On a new journey
Great planning meet. And some final little bits sorted out. The kit looks great guys and no problems I can see with any off it. In fact I have some serious kit envy on teepees Baffin polar boots! :approve: Great group feeling over the weekend, and now its just counting down the Days until we arrive.:cool:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Great planning meet. And some final little bits sorted out. The kit looks great guys and no problems I can see with any off it. In fact I have some serious kit envy on teepees Baffin polar boots! :approve: Great group feeling over the weekend, and now its just counting down the Days until we arrive.:cool:
Hell yeah....

Really positive vibe, lots of enthusiasm and excitement and lots of great tips, skills and ideas shared. Going to be a trip of epic proportions I think. Great to put faces to names too and share a cuppa and a butty. Thanks for the hospitality Da !!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Yes, thanks again Da for hosting :bigok:

Putting faces to names was a real bonus and I've left with a very positive feeling about this one too. Having a look at all the gear and trying it on was a proper touch. The US N48 mitts rock and a pair is on their way.

Bring it on! :burnout:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There were times that I had doubts that this trip would ever actually happen.

First of all there were people bringing up more problems than solutions then there was the slow initial interest.

In the end it has been the positive "can do" attitude of the group that has turned this trip into a solid reality and the kind of trip that I originally envisaged when I first proposed the setting up of a "Sub Zero Crew"

As it is, we're all going out with different objectives, some are meeting up as part of a greater journey, some are just going for the market and the cultural events surrounding it, others have more diverse objectives but we all stand to benefit from the added safety that working together should create.

This was always the plan, something like the loose structure of a "meet" with individual responsibility but collective security.

Conversations around the campfire this weekend made it very clear that there is no reason that trips like this should not become a regular feature in the future taking in locations all around the globe.

Watch this space...

Last edited:

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
What type of travel insurance are people using (general travel or winter sports?) and which brokers are you using?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Capture-5_zps3765772a.png

Nice! :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE