Jokkmokk - Sub Zero Trip - February 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

udamiano

On a new journey
Sorry Dave, Been at the folks place Over Christmas. Will sort you our a copy of all the timetables as soon as I catchup with the large pile of stuff currently behind my front door :rolleyes:

Good idea on the CO detectors, I must say that I've never used one, but anything that provides an extra level of safety is a bonus.

Good on you Ducky :cool:. I've been ice fishing a couple of times, and was told that the lines really need to be near the bottom, and a good smelly bait. although I only ever managed to catch a couple of fish in all the times I did it, so no expert on that! Can I suggest checking on local fishing permits regulations, just in case, as your on public land this time. might be an issue but definitely no worth getting into trouble with the locals over.

Can I also recommend to all those going, that a trip to your dentist would be a wise move. Very cold temperatures can find those little sensitive dental areas with depressing ease, and a tooth problem is never a happy one. Im booked in with mine next week.

Keeping careful eye on the weather, and it's looking great :headbang:

25 Days to go. and i must say Im really looking forward to this

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
As I have decided to lug around an auger (to gain access to liquid water if possible) I might as well do some ice fishing. Last trip in Norway we managed to catch nothing at all even using night lines. Anyone (local forum members perhaps) have suggestions on lines, hooks, bait that will maximise the chance of actually catching something? If I understand correctly I am allowed to fish using natural bait as part of the allemansrecht, but if I use lures or jigs I need a permit. Anyone know if nightlines are allowed in the Jokkmokk area? If so, I assume we would need a permit as the rod will not be within reach, right?

The outdoor shop in Lulea looks very well stocked for fishing kit, my plan if I decide I want a little fish over there is to just take hooks and lines, then get local advice, baits and terminal tackle in Sweden.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
If I understand correctly I am allowed to fish using natural bait as part of the allemansrecht, but if I use lures or jigs I need a permit. Anyone know if nightlines are allowed in the Jokkmokk area? If so, I assume we would need a permit as the rod will not be within reach, right?

If the rules and regulations in Sweden are smilar to those in Norway (and I belive they are) you need to pay a fee no matter what bait or lure you use.
Most well equiped sproting godds stores sell earth worms and maggots for ice fishing during winter season.
For night lines I prefer to use earth worms on a single hook close to the bottom. It sholud not be more than 3 meters between the ice and the bottom, preferably 1-1,5 meters.

Last edited:

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Great thread this, can't wait to see the photo's you all return with and to read about the trip!

I'm sure you're all sorted kit wise but thought this snow saw might be of interest to some, nice and light, looks good for £25

Have a good trip all and safe travels

Matt

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Nice tool.

Inuit-Snow-Saw-Knife.jpg

I have this one based in a Inuit design which is OK for what I need.

Another useful document for those that are flying.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Wayland said:
Another useful document for those that are flying.

Useful info. Couple things I'd like to take are firesteel and some hexi block (in survival kit), anyone got any suggestions on these ?

Also, has anyone got experience of taking a used, but clean and dry, trangia burner ? If not I'll phone SAS and try to explain to them what it is. Failing that I may just have to buy a fresh one and bin it before coming home. I hope if I wash out my fuel (spirit) bottles with hot water so they don't smell I'll be able to bring them back.

Related subject. Has anyone identified which shop in Jokkmokk stocks liquid fuels ? The nearest hardware store is a fair step up the road, so I'm hoping one in town will have it. Be neat if the first group to arrive could get a good amount and we could go dutch.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Couple things I'd like to take are firesteel

Also, has anyone got experience of taking a used, but clean and dry, trangia burner ? I hope if I wash out my fuel (spirit) bottles with hot water so they don't smell I'll be able to bring them back.

Take them in your hold luggage and you'll be OK. That's with both Ryan Air and Norwegian Air

On our trips to Norway we take fuel bottles and trangia burners - as you state, wash them out and keep the lids and bases seperate and you'll be fine.

HTH

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Please may I add my name to the list.

Things have progressed mate, were all booked and paid for.

Getting flights at a reasonable price may be tricky, maybe worth checking there first ;)

@ Charlie. Hexy is banned for flights, get it in Sweden mate. Firesteels are fine to take but are really a luxury out there. Petrol lighters rule, with disposable gas lighters as back-up. Going dutch on the fuel is a great plan-they sell Alkylate petrol over there. Last time it was sold in 5l containers from the garage.

All my fuel bottles will be labelled "Vinegar" and properly dried. If anything is whiffy coming back, I'll buy some vinegar from the shop and flush the stove and bottles/pump out with it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
@ Charlie. Hexy is banned for flights, get it in Sweden mate. Firesteels are fine to take but are really a luxury out there. Petrol lighters rule, with disposable gas lighters as back-up. Going dutch on the fuel is a great plan-they sell Alkylate petrol over there. Last time it was sold in 5l containers from the garage.

All my fuel bottles will be labelled "Vinegar" and properly dried. If anything is whiffy coming back, I'll buy some vinegar from the shop and flush the stove and bottles/pump out with it.

Does that included checked baggage in the hold too mate? Stinky stoves I mean

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
You can add your name to the list mate but we're going out there in three weeks time and that might be a bit short notice for you to get things together from scratch.

Have you done anything like this before?

Yeah I have but no worries 3 weeks won't be long enough to sort everything out. Only just spotted the thread, nevermind maybe next time.

Have a good time gents and enjoy.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It's unlikely we'll need much of this but I always think it is polite to at least attempt to address people in their own language (even if I do usually manage to butcher it..
love9.gif
)

I've put together a few useful phrases from stuff I found online (Do please correct me if I've got anything wrong guys.)

Swedish – English

Ja........... yes
Nej........... no
Tack........... please (used at the end of a sentence); thanks, thank you
tack så mycket ........... thank you very much
Varsågod ........... you're welcome
hej or hej hej ........... hi, hello
hejsan ........... hi (informal)
god dag ........... hello; goodbye (good day; can be used any time from morning until around 5pm)
god morgon ........... good morning (used until around 11am)
god förmiddag ........... good morning (used from around 11am until noon)
god middag ........... good afternoon (used around noon)
god eftermiddag ........... good afternoon (used from noon until around 5pm)
god kväll ........... good evening (used from around 5pm)
välkommen! ........... welcome!
välkommen till ... ........... welcome to ...
hej or hej hej ........... bye
hejdå ........... goodbye
god natt ........... goodnight
vi ses! ........... see you! (informal)
vi ses snart! ........... see you soon!
vi ses senare! ........... see you later!
ha en bra dag! ........... have a good day!
ursäkta mig ........... excuse me (to get someone's attention or to get past someone); sorry
förlåt ........... sorry
inga problem ........... no problem
det gör inget ........... don't worry about it
pratar du engelska? ........... do you speak English?
jag pratar inte svenska ........... I don't speak Swedish
jag pratar lite svenska ........... I speak a little Swedish
jag pratar väldigt lite svenska ........... I only speak very little Swedish
var snäll och prata långsammare ........... please speak more slowly
kan du säga det igen? ........... could you please repeat that?
jag förstår ........... I understand
jag förstår inte ........... I don't understand
jag vet ........... I know
jag vet inte ........... I don't know
var är toaletten? ........... where is the toilet, please?
Hur mycket kostar den?........... How much is it?:
Vad heter du? ........... What's your name?:
Får jag fotografera dig? ........... May I take your photograph?

Swedish Numbers
Zero: noll
One: ett
Two: två
Three: tre
Four: fyra
Five: fem
Six: sex
Seven: sju
Eight: åtta
Nine: nio
Ten: tio

[FONT=&amp]English - Northern Sami[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Hello. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Bures. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Hello. (informal) [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Bures bures. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]How are you? [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Mo dat manná [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Fine, thank you. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Dat manná bures, giitu. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]What is your name? [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Mii du namma lea? [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]My name is ______ . [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... namma lea ______ . [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Please. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Leage buorre. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Thank you. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]...........[/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Giitu. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]You're welcome. .[/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... () [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Yes. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Juo/Joo. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]No. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Ii. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Excuse me. (getting attention) [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Ándagassii. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Excuse me. (begging pardon) [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Ándagassii. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I'm sorry. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Ándagassii. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Goodbye [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Báze dearvan (to one person). [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Goodbye [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Báhcci dearvan (to two people) [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Goodbye [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Báhcet dearvan (to more than two people) [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]See you! [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Oaidnaleabmai [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I can't speak name of language [well]. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Mon in hála dan giela [bures]. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Do you speak English? [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Hálatgo Eaŋgalasgiela? [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Is there someone here who speaks English?[/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Hállágo giige dáppe eaŋgalasgiela? [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Help! [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Veahket! [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Look out! [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Fárut! [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Good morning. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Buorre iđit. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Good afternoon [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Buorre beaivvi [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Good evening. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Buorre eahket. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp](Reply to above) [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Ipmel atti [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Good night. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Buorre idjá. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Good night (to sleep) . () [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I don't understand. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Mon in ádde. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Where is the toilet? [/FONT][FONT=&amp]........... Gos hivsset lea? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Numbers[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]½ - beal [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]0 - nolla [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]1 - okta [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]2 - guokte [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]3 - golbma [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]4 - njeallje [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]5 - vihtta [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]6 - guhtta [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]7 - čiežá [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]8 - gavcci [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]9 - ovcci [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]10 - logi [/FONT]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE