Jetboil or pocket rocket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
And another Jet Boil fan here. Used recently and it was great, very quick and as noted above with stabliser it's fine with this being used. No experience of pocket rocket so can offer comparison advice.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Pocket Rocket are nowt special, clones to be had for not a lot. The JB works because of the pot, not the burner.

I would go for a remote canister stove where you can flip the gas can in winter to boost performance and combine with a pot with built in heat exchanger (same as the JB).

Here is the pot, they sell other sizes, this will give JB performance. 'Make an offer' of £15

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHOENIX-H...084?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c1b14c05c

Stove wise, this will perform better in winter than either the JB or Rocket because the preheater tube over the burner means you can turn the gas cannister over in winter temps and performance is boosted back to 'normal' both the JB and Rocket suffer in colder weather. Make an offer of £16

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OT-4A-for...533?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c1b14a2dd

Much the same as the gas stove and burns the same standard gas cannisters or you can burn Coleman/paraffin, offer £30. Use common sense and for about £30 you have a fast JB performance setup with a stove that can also take group size pots or pay that bit more to burn liquid fuel

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camping-Stove-Gasoline-Gas-Multi-Stove-S-9-x1set-/120713425561?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item1c1b14b299

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Horses for coarses. What suits you best.
Here is another thought, use any gas you want and tip it on its side.
IMG-20120107-00126.jpg

FedUpFrog

Jan 18, 2012
Newport, Gwent
Pocket Rocket for me, will fit with brew kit inside a mess tin or MSR pan. Simple, nothing to go wrong, good for fuel efficiency, easy to use with gloves on. Can be used for cooking rather than just boiling water.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Pocket Rocket are nowt special, clones to be had for not a lot. The JB works because of the pot, not the burner.

I would go for a remote canister stove where you can flip the gas can in winter to boost performance and combine with a pot with built in heat exchanger (same as the JB).

Here is the pot, they sell other sizes, this will give JB performance. 'Make an offer' of £15

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHOENIX-H...084?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c1b14c05c

Stove wise, this will perform better in winter than either the JB or Rocket because the preheater tube over the burner means you can turn the gas cannister over in winter temps and performance is boosted back to 'normal' both the JB and Rocket suffer in colder weather. Make an offer of £16

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OT-4A-for...533?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c1b14a2dd

Much the same as the gas stove and burns the same standard gas cannisters or you can burn Coleman/paraffin, offer £30. Use common sense and for about £30 you have a fast JB performance setup with a stove that can also take group size pots or pay that bit more to burn liquid fuel

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camping-Stove-Gasoline-Gas-Multi-Stove-S-9-x1set-/120713425561?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item1c1b14b299

Some good suggestions right there, another route to the same destination. Cheers

rosshs1

Apr 5, 2011
oxfordshire
This is what I was using most of this year and last

jabuvu9a.jpg

It packs smaller than a jet boil but is a bit slower. Still a mile faster than hexi though. Bought a jet boil off someone on here a while ago and they are very good. It all comes down to what you want to spend and how versatile you need it to be really.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Eta Express is more efficient, versatile, packable and less prone to breakage than a jetboil. The flux rings on the Eta really work well.

Buy the pocket rocket and he Eta pan.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
jetboil flash fan, very good on fuel, worth the investment and well made. as your in king's lynn and if you would like to have a look at one first. before you buy one:) pm me. carl

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
For what it's worth, here's my 2p.
I bought a Pocket Rocket around ten or twelve years ago (must have been around the time they came out) and I have used it everywhere.
Snow holes, canoe trips, fishing trips and so on. I bought a Trangia pot which I painted with motor cycle black exhaust paint to retain heat and that has been my go to kit for all that time. It lights with a fire steel and has a controllable flame that can simmer and work like a Tornado afterburner, which it will sound like!
It might not be very "Bushcraft" but it works. I now carry a 10cm Zebra billy and the original pot and all my bases are covered.

No regrets!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Pocket Rocket gets my vote. Jet boil is bulky, a little cumbersome and a bit of a one trick pony. More to go wrong on it too. A jet boil and a lightweight aluminum/Ti mug to cook in- lighter, much more compact, simple, cheaper, and you can use the mug on the fire if you want. Boil times are only a little slower on the pocket rocket, especially if you take the trouble to shelter your stove, and put a lid on the mug (tin foil works fine). Clones available on the internet for way under £10 (I would assume their performance isn't hugely different from the real thing). oh and the piezos often break quite quickly on the jet boils.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Trangia Clikstand for me. Packs away to nowt. I'm never in that much of a rush so boil speed isn't an issue. Or a 27 with a gas burner if I must.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE