Snugpak Rocket mods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi I had a request to show my old SnugpaK Rocket mods and I found 3 long lost photos from the early 2000's i'm guessing that from the garden the photos were taken in ;) :

Which means the Bag in the photo is at least 10 years old!

P.L.C.E. half inch male clips were added to the front to allow for a 3rd pouch (not pictured) to be mounted to the front (and held under the cords.
is_00016_zpsrdlzolrr.jpg
[/IMG]

4 Buckles 4 square "D" rings were added to the lid to carry things like a rool mat, but due to the overall softness of the pack it is very "flappy" so only works well if the top pocket is also totally full.
is_00014_zpsklkh2vbu.jpg
[/IMG]

The most important Mod by far is the shoulder straps that draw the top of the pack towards the shouders (you can see the square "D" rings mentioned in the previous picture).
I also added QR straps to the compression straps, otherwise you had to thread the straps through the "Jet" packs every time(see 1st picture), unlike the PLCE bergen the straps are left loose and untidy, the PLCE has shorter compression straps under the "jets" so no threading needed, It's very annoying in a hurry! the compass pouch seen on the shoulder and barely visible sternum(chest) strap are both long lost

is_00015_zpswyyiejut.jpg
[/IMG]

Since then, I swapped the bag for something in a surplus shop, My friend bought it and eventually gave it to me, neither of us knew it was the same bag. The front half inch PLCE male clips were removed from the front, but everything else is pretty much as I left it Minus the side "Jet packs", but I have PLCE sidepouches that fit and do the same thing, so no loss.

The only recent mod I've made is to fix the QR bucles on the side more neatly, and to totally remove the elastic straps as I rarely use them but they catch on everything.

As it's a little older now, it is slightly worn, It is still very floppy and has slight wear on the mesh back pad but otherwise it's fine, and in perfect working condition, it's at least 10 years old, I have never trusted the fabric, though it hasn't ripped it always felt to soft to cope with things like brambles and barbed wire or scuffs on trees and rocks.

IMHO not a perfect bag but comfortable andvery usefull with loads of features including: 2 waterproof covers (sand/Camo), a water bladder pouch. I still prefer a tougher PLCE type cordura, as it feels stronger, but that's more psychological than practical.
Given the choice I'd use a longer tougher pack for anything other than hiking/camping.

This may also interest potential buyers of the sack, it has overall good points...and bad!

Snugpak rocket opinion
(I wrote this around 2004-5?)

For something this small and discovering the problems I now find it a very useful sack a little on the small side but something I can get used to.
Adding the top medic bag pocket adds another 10L making the overall size 80L, which is a big sack! There is now also provision for a further 10L side pocket on the rear of the back! And there is always the option of using belt pouches too.
To put it into perspective, during my most arduous training, days camping/hiking in the Lake District, I used my PLCE Bergen with the side pockets empty (I could have carried less!) and that 80L (ish) was fine.
I think the most annoyance is always going to be mistaking the compression straps with the lid straps and that s only ever going to be a problem when attaching the side pouches which might only be once a weekend! Not much of a problem!
Being the size it is, it's far more useful as both a full-on Bergen and a day sack it would also pass as a climbing sack with ice axe loops and mesh pockets to carry walking poles/tent poles.

Observations after modification
Since my modifications the whole sack feels very different, it sits much closer to the back, higher, and tighter, far easier to adjust and less tiring to use.
I can now run with the bag and even when it is loaded as the weight has been moved up and forward towards the centre of balance.
It is possible to attach standard belt type pouches to the compression straps (PLCE pouches fit easily), which is convenient. It could be elevated with some sort of tie down strap or permanent clip on the pouch but possibly more hassle than it is worth
If the top pocket is filled with heavy items (an example being 2 water bottles) the medic top pocket will move violently if a jog or run is attempted and may damage the clips, unless the main sack is full and holding it s weight.
Having the roll matt under the bungee straps is very convenient and unnoticeable when carried. Only downside not able to use the waterproof cover, if both are needed there are two options either: carry a Thermarest instead or use the roll matt to line the main sack (it is just possible but it dramatically reduces the overall size).
After using it on a BCUK meet-up, I found it a good size, fine for weekend Bushcraft or camping if anything too big.
Caution is needed when packing large amounts because the sack is soft it can slip to the bottom an it could balloon outwards this is annoying as it forces good organization. (this does not happen with the PLCE Bergen)
A positive and a negative is overall size, 70l total size, PLCE Bergen s are 120l which is getting on for twice the size. Originally regretting selling my PLCE Bergen.

(2016) I did eventually buy another PLCE Bergen.

Last edited:

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Thanks for sharing as I've just acquired one and was considering mods , particularly an additional pocket to the front . I'm giving mine its first run out this weekend , will post some pictures.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
The first picture makes my back hurt a lot, just looking at it. Unbalanced loads are a killer for me. ;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
The first picture makes my back hurt a lot, just looking at it. Unbalanced loads are a killer for me. ;)

:) I know what you mean, the thing to remember is that the Rocketpack was designed to fit over Military webbing hence it is higher and fatter than usual much like the well known much older ALICE and SAS/Para Bergen. If you were to try to carry the same things as in a heavily loaded Military bergen I don't think the Rocket pack would be comfortable and it would fall to bits....though I said I don't trust the material, I'm yet to be proven right, so far it seems very strong....It just dosen't "feel" right lol.

Thanks for sharing as I've just acquired one and was considering mods , particularly an additional pocket to the front . I'm giving mine its first run out this weekend , will post some pictures.

If you have the sidepouches that came with it it's worth your while noticing how long it takes to completely remove them and convert to a daysack, with then without the compression straps.....you will add Q/R straps! ;) compare the PLCE Bergen sidepouch fixings and note the ease of the fixings:

To remove one of the Snugpack rocket "Jet packs" and re-compress:
1. Loosen then unthread 2 compression straps.
2. Unzip the pouch.
3. Rethread the straps without the pack (if you don't, they will hang down and/or flap about)
4. Tighten the straps

To remove one of the PLCE side packs and re-compress:
1. Unzip both zips.
2. Unclip 4 Qr clips.
?. .......

it's just 2! The side compression straps were already tight! removing the pouch has nothing to do with the compression straps)

The order is reversed to replace the packs in both cases.

It would be interesting to see the mods, The medic pouch I mentioned with the pictures was literally a PLCE Medic pouch (same dimentions as Sidepouch) was never going to be a good idea it's why I attatched the half inch clips on the lid, basically unless the bag and lid was full it wobbled far too much.
make sure the pouch you attatch isn't too lowdown try to make it diectly under the "X" of the elastic straps otherwise if you put something like a waterbottle in the pouch I reckon the weight will drag the rucksack main body backwards.

If you can, try to use a stiffer material like PLCE 1000d cordura to make the pouch as it will help to stiffen the sack, and remember that the waterproof cover might not fit so well after adding the pouch.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE