Itchy rash after summer bushmoot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Has anyone else developed an itchy rash on their foot or whole body at, or perhaps up to several weeks after the summer bushmoot?

Well I did anyway! It was not straight forward to diagnose, and then it was difficult to treat. So if anyone else had similar and is still suffering then maybe my experience will help you.

PM me and we can discuss this further.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Hi, I wasn't at the moot but while out camping in the summer 3 of us woke up one morning with a lumpy rash mainly feet/ankles but my mrs was covered head to toe. It was terrible really itchy my mate counted over 70 lumps below his knee. took days to fully heal. does this sound simmilar??

Regards Ben

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
without knowing the type of rash etc. it's nigh impossible to know for sure but. .
firstly see a quack!!
it could be any number of things including Scabies (I know yuck, but they are easily cured).

If it had been a warmer summer it could have been what's referred to as a "Nettle Rash" which (in my case anyway) was a major reaction to an irritant (nettle) exaggerated by hot weather and (apparently) eating strawberry's (I know it sounds odd but it happened to me), I was given antihistamines and earex cream to ease the itching . . .oh and (and this is the best part. . ) cold baths for a month.

good luck.

Kev

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
There was a whole lot of Himalayan Balsam there, which is apparently good for treating poison ivy rash - so if any of us suffer this next time...

For anyone who isn't familiar with chiggers, here's a microscopic close-up...
pumpkin-1.jpg

Seriously, my whole family was eaten alive by the beggars back in sept, they get inside all your clothes. Repellant next time!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
what the bloomin 'eck are chiggers anyway? I thought they were an American beasty.

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/

"Chiggers first show up as annoying red bumps. An itch begins. It grows. More hard red welts surface. From your feet and ankles upward, and especially at those tender locations your mother told not to scratch in public, a maddening itch takes hold.

Savage scratching begins. Every welt becomes a persistent, exquisitely itching preoccupation that continues to irritate for days and even weeks. You probably recognize these symptoms of chigger bites. Yet we never see the culprits responsible for this summertime agony."

Last edited:

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
You guys................:lmao:

OK, so no one PM'd me so far, so obviously wasn't a silent unreported outbreak or epidemic. Thank goodness for that.

You clearly want to know more.

Well, before the end of the moot I noted a small bump with surrounding swelling in the web between 2 toes. This hung around for a few weeks and gradually I noted more bumps on the adjacent toes and increasing itching. At one point I got a 2ndary bacterial infection. There seemed at times to be ridges connecting the bumps - that became intensely itchy. Something wasn't right! So what had I done to expose my feet to anything like this? I had been out of my hammock in the night a few times so my feet had been of the woodland floor. It wasn't till much later I realised I had also taken a shower (silly me).

This is classic, localised scabies - a human to human transmitted mite. The shower was the likely moment of infection.

So treatment seemed straight forward. However, as a doctor there is a rule that when it comes to illnesses in doctors nothing is straight forward. And so it proved. 2-3 Over the counter standard treatments only partially worked (even when repeated over several weeks) and I was still getting spread of the condition. It was only when I hunted down a much rarer medication that I got contol of it.

So, if anyone else thinks they got scabies from the bush moot then I can now tell them that Benzyl benzoate might be the best first choice medication.

Also it is a warning to consider foot health at large public camping events.

Oh, and if someone came to the moot with this then maybe the medication might help them too, good luck to you mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE