Is this (or was this) a polecat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I saw this at the side of the road, is it a polecat?

DSC00631.JPG

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I would say by the white marknigs around the mouth and above the eye's... Yes.

Used to see them very often up in Scotland shooting.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
There's no way of telling from a photo. It has polecat markings but that's as far as anyone would be able to tell without a genetic test but that wouldn't be conclusive either.
I see you do live in Wales which is one of the last strongholds for the native polecat but there are also a lot of escapee ferrets about and they will interbreed.
I own one myself and they all look pretty similar.
Jet.jpg

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Almost, it was my cage. I took him in the house one night fell asleep and woke up with him biting my ear and neck, he also dug up all the pot plants, ripped up the carpet and hid my keys.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Looks like polecat to me, but as others have said, impossible to be certain. I kept getting reports of them when I worked for the wildlife trust, but didn't see any myself. Then I saw two in a week, and none since. Nice animals.

charlieh

Apr 26, 2010
Staffordshire
I would say its most likely a polecat, as mentioned a dna profile is the only way to be conclusive, the very dark facial markings are about the best identification feature. If you ring vincent wildlife trust they will be able to give you more information.

I have retrieved several roadkills from round staffs and derbyshire and a good percentage have been dna'd as polecat. If wild polecats you will possibly find that you will get a cluster of roadkills. This is normally if you have a good breeding population and as youngsters disperse they get run over. I had three you females once near Castleton in the peak district all within about 100yrds of road.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Have to say it looks exactly like a Polecat ferret to me too. I was under the impression that Wild Polecats were a much darker colour for one thing? Either way, I feel bad for the poor guy :(

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
Pure Polecat -http://www.britishwildlifecentre.co.uk/animals/polecat.htm
Here,s the link to proper Polecat ,main difference more prononced markings particuarly face mask .

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE