Is this knife legal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Was raking around through some drawers and came across a knife someone gave me a few years back.
I've never really carried it as it's not a blade type I have much use for, though I suppose it could be useful lashed to a stick as a spear; should I ever have reason to need one.
It stays in the collection as an oddity but aside from the length I always wondered if it falls foul of the law on Butterfly knives though it isn't the traditional "balisong" style as the blade sits in the same plane as the handles.
The law on butterfly knives is: -
"butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it" which can be read to include mine.
I wondered what the fine minds of BCUK think.
The Opinel #8 is in there for scale.
IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

Please excuse the pictures, the "new" batteries in the camera were flashing making the pictures quick snaps.
Look forward to your thoughts.
GB.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Legal in what sense? Balisongs are not illegal to own, but you may not have them in a public place at all. This does fit the , as usual badly worded, statute definition however as the act does not define in what axis the handle halves have to rotate around the blade. It is also by definition a lock knife.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I wouldn't carry it.

I think it would be unlikely that a police officer seeing that would not at the very least ruin your day.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Personally I wouldn't like to get caught with it. I can see the difference between that and a so called ''Butterfly'' but I wouldn't like to be hanging from a cliff by the danglies hoping a jury could make any sort of distinction.

I see a similarity here with the old ''Its not a flick knife, it's an assisted opener'' routine. Nice Opinel though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers gents. I think I worded it badly, I was more wondering if it fell into the balisong category. Due to length and locking I already wouldn't carry it, I just wondered as Brambles said if the plane of the blade put it in or out of the category. I know they deliberately keep the wording of the law vague so as to be inclusive and open to interpretation. I also thought some of you may want to see something a little different as it is a well thought out blade (though not the best executed).
It's too much like a fighting knife with the double edge for me to even think of taking out in my pocket, though I have gutted some fish with it rather well (at home I might add) and it's not bad filleting them either.
Cheers for your thoughts.
GB.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Personally I wouldn't like to get caught with it. I can see the difference between that and a so called ''Butterfly'' but I wouldn't like to be hanging from a cliff by the danglies hoping a jury could make any sort of distinction.

I see a similarity here with the old ''Its not a flick knife, it's an assisted opener'' routine. Nice Opinel though.

Cheers, it's a limited edition (number 226) Bose 1992 Albertville winter Olympics knife. Had it from new (still have the presentation box somewhere). Great pocket knife, usually have it or a carbon one kicking around in my pocket. Love them for food prep and general camp use.

yes it would fall foul of the CJA wording so is classified as an offensive weapon and the restrictions that come with that
as long as you got it before they where entered on the list your ok to own
you cant legally even transport it in your car to a new house as its classified as public space for this purpouse

I destroyed my cheap old Balisong a few years back

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
The knife in question is a CRKT Fury Dragoon 2 and although it is not a Balisong in the true sense of the word, as advised already, it wouldn't be a smart move to carry this outside your own house.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The knife in question is a CRKT Fury Dragoon 2 and although it is not a Balisong in the true sense of the word, as advised already, it wouldn't be a smart move to carry this outside your own house.

Cheers for that, was never able to find it online when I looked when I got it. There seems to be two versions, single edge and double like mine.
Yeah would never carry it outdoors though it is an interesting take on a folding knife and one for you exotica lovers out there.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Without opening up a can of worms here, anyone know why they added a bilsong knife to the list of banned weapons?
Come to think of it the flick knives too?

Personally I think they are pretty useless as general knives, have a few my self and the pivot would snap or wear far too quickly under moderate or heavy use.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think they were seen as too aggressive and only thought of for one purpose (though some one armed users may think differently). I generally shy away from "fighting" knives in my collection though there are some "bowies" and I always wanted an old Sykes Fairbairn commando knife for the historical interest.
Never even thought of using a knife to end an argument, remember when working the door a young edjit pulled one on me and I ended up with two slashed hands before getting it off of him. I just threw it behind me into the club (where other doormen disposed of it) before telling the young chap the error of his ways. It's a shame that as usual a young idiot spoils it for the rest of us, and that statistically they're much more likely to use a kitchen knife anyway.
So sword sticks and the likes are out though lovely pieces of blade history.
Don't want the thread to turn into a discussion/disagreement of the whys and wherefores though. That boats sailed and the MODS wouldn't like it.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
It was the old Battle Orders advert ban. Everything in a particular advert in a magazine was banned, they didn't have any stock of nun-chucks that month so they weren't banned. I am not making this up

Interesting stuff and wasn't aware of this, any more info, i would like to read about the ensuing debacle?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE