Is this knife legal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I suppose I answered my own question, they are not much good as knives so no other purpose other than "fighting tools" for want of a better term.
I have an old flick knife from the 70`s and some cheap and nasty bilsong in the loft somewhere. The flick knives especially would end up either not flicking any-more or stuck in your wrist if a lot of pressure was put on them.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I remember the battle orders thing being the focus of them sort of banning " violent sounding advertising "

Battle orders always used to put things like "a lethal 12" blade", "a wicked 9" blade" and so on

Its a bit before my time, but I can imagine battle orders used flog loads of crap balisongs and flick knives

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Without opening up a can of worms here, anyone know why they added a bilsong knife to the list of banned weapons?
Come to think of it the flick knives too?

Personally I think they are pretty useless as general knives, have a few my self and the pivot would snap or wear far too quickly under moderate or heavy use.

I know they are listed in the Criminal Justice Act 1988... not sure if another proceeded it though.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Is it just me or do our weapons laws seem compiled by a 6 year old with a penchant for ninja movies?

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire

npr_kingslynn

May 17, 2014
Kings Lynn
Lock knives aren't illegal.
Incorrect. They are, most definitely, illegal to carry without 'reasonable excuse'. Eg, the locking blade on a multi-tool, if your job demands its use, or if you're in the middle of the woods doing camping related stuff. But if you mean for every day carry, they're illegal to carry in this context and you'll find yourself arrested and most likely charged with posession of an offensive weapon. Lock knives are as legal as fixed blade knives, its totally context dependant, basically.

As for the first knife, the one this thread is about, "butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it" - the law makes no distinction as to how exactly the handles encapsulate the blade, and it doesnt matter - when held, it is locked and therefore counts as a lock knife. But also, legally, it's a butterfly knife/ballisong.

The cold steel one is illegal in the uk for the same reason, the handles split in 2 and fold around it like wings. One handed opening isn't part of uk legislation on that point. The blurb relates to US law, which I assume must be different.

It sucks, and I wish I could carry a decent knife, but basically if you want to be legal then its basically a pen knife or ukpk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......One handed opening isn't part of uk legislation on that point. The blurb relates to US law, which I assume must be different....

There is no federal knife legislation what-so-ever in the US apart from switchblades being illegal to import. One handed opening isn't part of legislation in most states either (as such) Most states have laws making switchblades illegal to carry unless the carrier only has one hand and needs to be able to open a knife one handed.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Incorrect. They are, most definitely, illegal to carry without 'reasonable excuse'. Eg, the locking blade on a multi-tool, if your job demands its use, or if you're in the middle of the woods doing camping related stuff. But if you mean for every day carry, they're illegal to carry in this context and you'll find yourself arrested and most likely charged with posession of an offensive weapon. Lock knives are as legal as fixed blade knives, its totally context dependant, basically.

As for the first knife, the one this thread is about, "butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it" - the law makes no distinction as to how exactly the handles encapsulate the blade, and it doesnt matter - when held, it is locked and therefore counts as a lock knife. But also, legally, it's a butterfly knife/ballisong.

The cold steel one is illegal in the uk for the same reason, the handles split in 2 and fold around it like wings. One handed opening isn't part of uk legislation on that point. The blurb relates to US law, which I assume must be different.

It sucks, and I wish I could carry a decent knife, but basically if you want to be legal then its basically a pen knife or ukpk

Are you splitting hairs there. cup half full or half empty - there's still half the amount of water in it than it could have. personally I prefer the half full version - legal if you have good reason

Anyway, but even that isn't the whole truth as there's the offensive weapons act as well which says pretty much anything can be construed as a weapon in certain circumstances
Slip joints and even the UKPK can be illegal - situation dependant along with combs, umbrellas, spoons etc.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Incorrect. They are, most definitely, illegal to carry without 'reasonable excuse'. Eg, the locking blade on a multi-tool, if your job demands its use, or if you're in the middle of the woods doing camping related stuff. But if you mean for every day carry, they're illegal to carry in this context and you'll find yourself arrested and most likely charged with posession of an offensive weapon

Many thanks for pointing this out to me :rolleyes:

I have been using knives for most of my life, and i know the UK knife laws verbatim, i was merely pointing out in my previous post, that lock knives are not illegal.

I did not mention the circumstances in which they can be legally used/carried, although i am fully aware of them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE