Is bigger better?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScotchDave

Forager
Jan 6, 2010
Glasgow/California
Alright lads (and lasses),

Time has come for me to purchase a tarp. I'm pretty much set on a DD as they seem to be well priced and of high quality, though feel free to suggest others of similar prices. But I'm not sure which size to get: 3x3 of 3x4.5 metres.

The reason I'm unsure is that I'll most likely be camping with my family some of the time and therefore extra space will be needed, which draws me to the XL.

However I'm not sure what, if any, drawbacks there are to the larger tarp for when I'm out on me tod. Also can the XL be pitched with the ridge along the 3 metre length?

I'm not bothered about the extra weight because I'm fairly large meself...

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. I did try a search and got lots of reviews of tarps, but nowt about selecting them,

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Are you hammock camping or on the deck ?

I use the 3x3m 99% of the time but if the rain is coming down sideways it's nice to have the extra length. The 3x4.5 is a great size for a hammock in foul weather as it covers up your suspension nicely, if weight and bulk isn't an issue then go for the bigger one.

The extra room underneath is good for establishing a camp for a few days, gives you somewhere to hang stuff and crash out.

You can hang the 3x4.5 with the 3m length as the ridge no problem.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I use a 2.5 x 2.5 metre Kathmandu basha and have slept two under it comfortably. 3 x 3 seems luxurious by comparison. Size matters when the weather is awful but weight matters when you carry it mile after mile. Of course, you could give it to some other member of the family to carry - if so, go for the biggest you can get...

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
these all seem big to me!

i first slept out under a small poncho (bearly fit) in army cadets untill i bought my own 'big' army issue basha (cammo tarp about 2x2.5m)

never felt the need to go any bigger really:dunno:

pete

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
As a ground dweller I think you don't need as big a tarp. I use the same Kathmandu Basha in 2.5m square as Kerne. ALthough I bought it at the Outdoor show off Bison Bushcraft in 2009. It is good but I just noticed the centre external lifting loop webbing tape has the corner cut off it and where that corner is ther is a hole in the sil-nylon. I have not spotted any leak but it is annoying me. Anyone know how to seal a hole in a sil-nylon tarp? I know nothing really sticks to sil-nylon. I can't really take it back now, had it too long. Any ideas? I once heard something called shoe goo sticks to stuff nothing else does. I thought cling one side then squeeze something into the hole and cling the other side squashing it flat until it dries might work if I can find the right clue or goo to use.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
As far as size I found my 2.5m square a bit too low down at the weekend. Was good for the high winds but could not sit up in it. Was well spread out though gearwise. Used trekking poles for tarp poles. Mind you was late back from pub so just crashed out. Used the tarp in a campsite recently. Worked well when you walk into the darkness and the only place is a campsite. Pitch late get up early = no fee. ;)

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I would hesitate to get the bigger tarp. It will be harder to find a good spot to pitch, and for 2 people a 3x3 m is plenty, and ok for 3. I would rather have two 3x3 m tarps, in order to have have a choice for campsites. Assuming ground dwelling here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE