Bushcraft show 2024 ..what tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eddieb

Jan 17, 2014
Essex
Hi chaps n chapettes,

So I'm trying to return to the bushcraft community after a 8+year hiatus, sorry for leaving.
Part of my return I'm wanting to attend the bushcraftshow this year amd bring the girlfriend along.. She demands a tent ⛺️..I don't own one being a tarp and shelter builder in my past. Now what/where should I be looking? Google keeps sending me to cheap temp and amazon finds. I'm after one those French army style ones like this emoji: ⛺️. And

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Try e Bay. You might be lucky, but give yourself plenty of time for possible repairs, finding spares ,and reproofing.
You'll be hard pressed to find an tent like that nowadays, unless you buy second hand.
You can't go wrong with a vango tent, but get a 4 man if you want to be comfortable with two adults plus kit.
My Vango 3 man gives me plenty of space for one, but its barbie pink!
I love the robens tents. Good selection of styles, and I'd say the green cone would be a comfy bushcraft style tent.
Not cheap, but it would be usable for many types of camping, including bushcraft and family or more luxurious camping, and you could be sure to use it straight from the box. Easy to pitch aswell.

Reactions: John59

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Typically, a girl friend demanding a tent, the tent must have a sewn in ground sheet and bug protection. Typically, men enjoy camping because it is a chance to overcome or live with a certain discomfort. It is very unusual for a woman to enjoy camping for these reasons, so more space and comfort is generally a better idea. That French Army pup tent looks about as comfortable as a rabbit hutch.

I agree that you want a 4-man size tent. A two man is invariably sized for one and kit, and not a lot of kit at that.

I would be looking on eBay. There are even some hire services like this

Rent a bell tent

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
See if you can find a second hand Robens Fairbanks - more than enough room for two, very robust and well made - you just wouldn't be able to backpack with it :)

I second everything Chris said above - I know there are exceptions, and I've met ladies that will rough it with the best of them, but a decent amount of room and a sewn in groundsheet are advisable precautions :)

Reactions: gibson 175

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
Not knowing your budget or more details, I would suggest you forget what you want and go with what she might want.

If you have a serious relationship and you wish her to enjoy what you want to do, it would be best to provide her with the best experience for the first few times and see if she is happy doing it, before going with a more minimalist approach.

I would suggest something like a 4 person tent with a large porch to sit in if it is wet, midges, cook in etc or just to watch things going about.

Something along similar line to this......

ijohnson

Mar 10, 2024
uk
Vango Force 10 Classic?

3 man version probably a decent size for 2 plus a bit of space to spare.

Edit to add: these tents are much nicer to sleep in than nylon/polyester tents IMHO.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
You say you are going to "the bushcraft show"....... whats wrong with the Moot eh, go on tell us ... eh go on eh....eh

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Just remember, with any canvas or poly cotton tent you need to make sure it's properly dry before storage. Don't let it get damp in storage either.
Same for any tent realy, but particularly pertinent to the afore mentioned materials.
Camping under proper canvas is much nicer than synthetics, cooler in heat, and warmer in cold, but bell type tents, are not cheap.
I'd recommend the robens green cone, large floor area, plenty of head room and easy to pitch. much lighter than a bell type too.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
New girlfriend?
Get the biggest tent you can afford; it will pay big dividends in the future. Go the Mk5 and add a porch fly awning too, take chairs and cushions. Take Champagne and some way of keeping it chilled, ditto strawberries and clotted cream etc

Reactions: plastic-ninja

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
I have a Vango force 10 mk5 if you’re interested also have the porch extension.

I’d go for a bell tent if I was you though, put a few rugs, cushions and throws in and it will be glamping, solar fairy lights and a few glow sticks, fire pit………you can probably rent it out after you have left!

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Go to GoOutdoors and have a wonder round with her and find out what size of tent she wants.
If you going to do some car camping a tent you can stand up in, a porch and no sewn in groundsheet are really useful points.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE