Inventions that should Exist

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
returning to realism

This will probably only be understood by those who have had web-interviews, or web based meetings this last year.

A webcam with a micro camera that can be mounted/dangled on your computer screen so it lines up with the person you are talking to. With current webcams you tend to look at the picture of the person you are talking to, and to them this makes you look like you are always looking down or away. Advice to look at the little cyclops lens on top of your monitor when speaking is hard to follow when you can see the person you are speaking to on screen.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
A basic one for me.

It seems the ability of many UK drivers to be able to drive in and reverse out of a 90' deg Car parking space is limited.

Can we not have more Car parking space set at 45' deg to the main flow of traffic? Surely it doesn't take up any more actual space?

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
There was a compressed air van about 25 years ago that ran by cleverly turning a geared small turbine. The van rear was a completely fibreglass compression tank. Did speeds of around 60 mph and mileage was around 120 miles.

......then it disappeared, never to be seen again, have since in the past tried to find details of it, nothing?
They are still around IIRC, they use compressed air vehicles in mines...

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wondered how they made that stuff
Maybe it needs to be hit with some Liquid Nitrogen ( every kitchen surely has that under the sink, ) first in the same way as the Peanut Butter in PB2 is turned to powder.

I wondered how they made that stuff. Himself is addicted to it :rolleyes:

Reactions: TeeDee

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Thermodynamically a compressed air vehicle is not a very good idea, a lot of the used energy tends to be lost as heat to nowhere. Heat exchangers have been tried but they tend to be quite expensive and large. Even an EV is better (though not good at all).

Closest heard of, is the Australian's Northern Territory solar project. Building a massive solar farm (30,000 acres, world's largest) and then sending the power generated over a 3,700 km undersea cable to Singapore.
so they're going to spoil 30000 acres of desert (i presume) --one of the most fragile ecosystems -- in the most beautiful country (and continent) on earth just so that a bunch of sheeple can have more illuminated billboards and other unnecessary appliances?! :eek::mad::mad:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Vehicles that refuse to back out of parking spaces, driveways and side roads. Minor dislike is how people don't back off the main road into a side road or driveway.

Another thing that should be invented and in place was an Internet where everyone is fully identified and unable to use with anonymity.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Another thing that should be invented and in place was an Internet where everyone is fully identified and unable to use with anonymity.
Proven to be an absolute terrible idea. Abuse rises when people are forced to use their real names.
Also practically impossible to verify anyone is who they say they are on a global scale.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Vehicles that refuse to back out of parking spaces, driveways and side roads. Minor dislike is how people don't back off the main road into a side road or driveway.

Like using a photo of ones own face on an internet forum in the avatar slot??

:rolleyes: ;)

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
A robot that can deliver instant karma to people who litter :)

A windproof umbrella

Accurate weather forecasts for beyond the immediate 12 hour period

Actual waterproofs

Pineapple weed ice tea (I'm working on it)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Proven to be an absolute terrible idea. Abuse rises when people are forced to use their real names.
Also practically impossible to verify anyone is who they say they are on a global scale.
Abuse rises when they're forced to use real names but what about when identifiable as in more than just a name or a face? Also I've not heard about research to say identity being linked to your Internet usage making abuse worse so I'd be interested in a source for that.

One thing though, it is likely to only work well for stable, democratic nations. Wouldn't think Russia should be in any such scheme.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Accurate weather forecasts for beyond the immediate 12 hour period
I think TeeDee would like to keep this thread within the bounds of reality. :D
A windproof umbrella
They do exist but they're neither cheap nor mass produced.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Abuse rises when they're forced to use real names but what about when identifiable as in more than just a name or a face? Also I've not heard about research to say identity being linked to your Internet usage making abuse worse so I'd be interested in a source for that.

One thing though, it is likely to only work well for stable, democratic nations. Wouldn't think Russia should be in any such scheme.

You may want to have a look at the Chinese Social credit System.

It sounds like an episode of Black Mirror but its very very real. And without adorning my tin foil hat a few Western Governments have shown enough interest in the outcome to purchase some software i'm informed.

Imagine THAT . I can see the merits in what you are saying - no more Keyboard Commandos being excessively rude or trolling on line but equally flip it over - a world where one can't criticise or raise a form of digital free speech.

Anywhere - here is a link.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
A toaster with timer on it, the numbers on our toaster do not relate to any thing tangible, on most common toasters they relate to the resistance on a capacitor which, when it discharges shuts off the heating circuit (More resistance, more time, more heat, burnt toast).

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
A toaster with timer on it, the numbers on our toaster do not relate to any thing tangible, on most common toasters they relate to the resistance on a capacitor which, when it discharges shuts off the heating circuit (More resistance, more time, more heat, burnt toast).

Weirdly I've changed over to an electric egg boiler. Life changer!!! Perfect eggs everytime!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE