Regulating bushcraft

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

Broch

Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
Every farm has a midden. Be thankful that they always dump the rubbish in exactly the same place. I wouldn't ever align them with the crap-casters, tossing and scattering rubbish with every step.

The Neolithic people on the west coast of Canada have done this as well over 15,000 years. The shell middens (oyster/clam/mussel) contain 10s of thousands of cubic meters of shell.

I wish that was true. When I canoed a local river over two days a couple of years ago the banks were strewn with silage bale plastic. My onw wood has to be regularly 'litter picked' of the same stuff that the farmers just leave lying about and then gets blown everywhere.

No other industry would be allowed to get away with the mess left and dumped in the countryside.

farm plastic waste.jpg

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding the Govt licensing "Bushcraft", for the simple thing is that it would affect everyone, and no Govt would bring in something like that, you only have to look at the restrictions on Covid, they didn't affect everyone, and the Govt were willing to pay most peoples wages, so no loss of votes there, but if any party attemted to take away leisure activities that basically affected everyone, they would probably never get into power again.

In reality most Govts have no real interest in the countryside, the rural areas just cost Govt's money, they dont do anything for the economy, (I am not talking about Farmers here), you only have to look at the infrastructure in rural places, they are not usually worth the investment of building roads, etc, in Cornwall we have one main road which is a dual carriageway, the rest are narrow lanes, and despite it being a holiday destination for a few months of the year, the rest of the year its reasonably quiet.

The same on Exmoor, Dartmoor and many other areas of moorland throughout the country, they attract the crowds but not the investment, and that is another reason why "Bushcraft" would never be licensed, because if they did the Govt ( or licensing Authority, Quango) would have to take on the responsibility of making sure the areas would be fit for purpose, and that would be a lot more money that they would ever get from issuing licenses.

Regarding the litter situation which is abhorrent, the chance of being caught is obviously the reason it happens, and the onus lays with local councils, and unless they are willing to police the situation it will continue. Industrial fly tipping is now out of control, people making fortunes for waste clearance but not willing to pay the tip fees, so just dump it anywhere, the council are quite adept at giving out parking tickets, and collecting charges at car parks,speeding fines, but pay little heed to the important matters that affect us all.
(Rant over time for me tea)

Reactions: Big Si

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Would a farmer open his own illegal rubbish dump in Germany one of the next hikers who comes along surely would report him to the police.

Reactions: TLM

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I wish that was true. When I canoed a local river over two days a couple of years ago the banks were strewn with silage bale plastic. My onw wood has to be regularly 'litter picked' of the same stuff that the farmers just leave lying about and then gets blown everywhere.

No other industry would be allowed to get away with the mess left and dumped in the countryside.

View attachment 65782
On Google Maps you can put photos up so when someone is searching locations it shows up.
Just saying like...
Oh and as for the legal part? This from Farmers Weekly.
"In 2006, the Waste Management Regulations banned the burning or burying of farm waste – including plastic and cardboard – meaning farmers have a legal duty to send waste off-farm, either to recycling or a landfill site."

TLM

Native
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
"In 2006, the Waste Management Regulations banned the burning or burying of farm waste – including plastic and cardboard – meaning farmers have a legal duty to send waste off-farm, either to recycling or a landfill site."
Does anyone police it? Are there fines for not doing it?

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.