indestructible !!!!!! (the dog not the knife)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Well I quite fancied trying to rehandle my Frosts mora 137 but I planned on it being me who would decide when to try it, however after seeing what happens when a nearly 2 year old lab gets bored by herself and you have left your bergen top lid zip open :swordfigh

DSC01456.JPG

DSC01457.JPG

Unbelievably she managed to not hurt herself at all - little monster. I also discovered my FAK being cuddled in her bed, 2 very soggy lumps of paracord and my firesteel with a few creative teeth marks in the handle now.

Have been debating on a new knife for a while so this is a great excuse and also means I have this one to play with to try and fit a new handle as well as learn some sheath creation skills - still tho' she's a little swine :cussing:

Stopped counting what her damage cost has been at £2000 but still have to admire something as indestructible as a young lab!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Have you been prep'ing rabbits and got some blood or gore on the handle, maybe the dog thought it as a meat flavoured wooded doggy chew :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sorry about the knife mate

We had a goldie who was just the same. Some of the stuff he nicked included the christmas turkey one year after my mum left it out to cool and my nans purse including cash and make-up. Total headcase he was.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Oh dear, what a mess! Our little staffy cross has made a similar mess with various knife handles. It always amazes me she doesn't cut herself but she must carefully stick to the wooden end :rolleyes: Like you said, it'll make a good rehandling project. Oh yes, you'll be needing to have a go at a new sheath too :D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
:lol: they are amazing critters.

Mine has only ever taken to chewin one tool of mine and that's a safe leather working one, which is good considering how messy I tend to be! Mind you he does occasionally pick my billhook up in the woods and walk off with it in his mouth and a cheeky look in his eyes :rolleyes: Luckily it's normally sheathed at the time.

Oh yeah, last year at a BB hammerin he sat down on a bunch of razor sharp cutting competition knives (10" blades). Just wlaked on top and sat down!! :O I'm amazed he didn't castrate himself!

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
When she was about 4 months, my working cocker got into a parcel the postie forced through the letterbox. She chewed through loads of sticky tape, then a jiffy bag, then cardboard cartons, then foil vacuum-packs, until at last she reached the contents - sufficient spices to make 40 curries!

I arrived home to find the scene of the crime attended by a small dog with a spice-encrusted nose.

She was none the worse for it, but the back garden smelled like a take-away for a couple of weeks.

She's now ten months, and her chewing days seem to be over.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Heh, I had a funny feeling this thread would be about your Holly the k9 chewing machine, or gnasher as she should now be called.

lucky she wasnt hurt, although at 2k+ damage i think id have slit her throat myself by now !!!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Nah they don't need no encouragement!

We have a black lab, Molly, she is 8 going on 9.. She is as destructive and mad as ever. We have never succeeded in stopping her from destroying her bedding, there is not a dog toy she wont demolish and its not a good idea to leave anything within reach!!! and she is a thief of the highest order, because she'll eat anything. I think she'll still do it when she is using a zimmer frame ;)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Well I quite fancied trying to rehandle my Frosts mora 137 but I planned on it being me who would decide when to try it, however after seeing what happens when a nearly 2 year old lab gets bored by herself and you have left your bergen top lid zip open :swordfigh

DSC01456.JPG

DSC01457.JPG

Unbelievably she managed to not hurt herself at all - little monster. I also discovered my FAK being cuddled in her bed, 2 very soggy lumps of paracord and my firesteel with a few creative teeth marks in the handle now.

Have been debating on a new knife for a while so this is a great excuse and also means I have this one to play with to try and fit a new handle as well as learn some sheath creation skills - still tho' she's a little swine :cussing:

Stopped counting what her damage cost has been at £2000 but still have to admire something as indestructible as a young lab!

Ahhh dogs rock !!:lmao: :lmao:
When we got our flatcoat from the dogs home, he ate 1 pair leather bike jeans, 1 pair trainers, half a kitchen cabinet, ALL the kitchen floor tiles and several pairs of the wifes knickers !!............

Wouldn't swap the little bugger for the world though :D

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Absolutely.

Off the top of my head.
Expensive camera bag.
wifes 2month old nokia handset
wireless mouse and base station
expensive cherry keyboard.
wifes 1 week old leather boots (that was a sore one)
The standard stealing stuff such as a box of sugar cubes, a 24 pack of kitkats (so much for chocolate being poisonous to dogs!)
Bag of flour which was then taken to the dining room and munched which meant a dog saliva bannock type mess encrusted into the carpet.
wirfes nintendo DS and one of those backup games cart things
sky+ remote
grado headphones
wifes pro hair straighteners (never sure why hair has to be straightened professionally!?!?!)
biwired speaker cable (no idea why this was such and attractive object)
my trainers, wifes trainers, wifes sistsers trainers
ventolin inhaler
prescription sunglasses
glasses
knife
orbital sander

there's more but I cant recall at the moment - the thing is she will not touch anything for weeks (sometimes months) but then all of a sudden decide to have 3 days of being a wee monster.

I love all the trouble the dogs on this thread have caused but i also know that everyone who has typed a reply has done so with smile on their face because it's simply impossible not to.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
rufusats4.jpg

Our much missed mutt ate:

A three piece suite,
A double bed (matress AND frame!),
Army boots (belonging to a serving squaddie. Not a nice man so ... :lmao: ),
T.V co-ax cables,
A door,
Carpet,
Stripped wall paper off walls so he could eat it,
Prescription medication :yikes: ,
Boxes of chocolate including wrapping - but never touched the orange cremes which are swmbos' favourite,
'Removed' door handles if left in a room he didn't want to be in,
Three vacuum cleaners,
Used tissues :yuck: - anything in a bin was fair game,
Any mail put through the door.
Combs and brushes - he hated being brushed.

At times it could be frustrating; but worth every penny re-spent.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Brand new brussletto knife, car alarm key fob, missus favourite expensive shoes, 2 memory cards, one mobile phone, kitchen door and wall down to breeze block, corner of the dining room table, chair arm, window sill, hall carpet and wall to name but a few. :rolleyes:

chris7273

Jan 2, 2008
Belgium
My Weimaraner has an addiction for TV remote control and paper handkerchiefs (used or not).

For your knife : it's a pity but hopefully it's a Mora and not a £££££ pricey one.

I remember now that she also ate once the scissors plastic handles without hurting herself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE