In praise of the humble withy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, with all these cordage threads going on, I thought it was time for a thread on twisted cordage's less glamorous cousin - the humble and under-appreciated withy.

The word "withy" apparently comes from the Old English for willow. A withy is simply "a flexible slender twig or branch" (according to Websters), and it's a good alternative to twisted cordage for many applications.

To make a withy, simply select your twig or branch, remove the leaves and any side shoots (although it's preferable to choose one without side shoots, as these can introduce a weak point), work it using a kind of cranking twisting motion (which is much easier to show than describe) to separate the fibres a bit, and split it to the desired thickness. No messing around separating fibres from stems, no fancy preparation, and no twisting!

The main difference in use between a withy and twisted cordage is that the withy is less flexible. They don't like tight radius curves or being bent backwards, so you've got to change the knots you use - the clove hitch is pretty much the definitive withy knot as far as I know.

The best material for withy making is probably willow, but I'm not sure exactly which... I have used rowan with some success in the past, and I believe many of the dogwoods make excellent withies. I'm not sure if spruce roots and the like count...

I almost every case where I need a field-expedient lashing, I'll go for a withy over twisted cordage - they're just so much less effort. The only exceptions are when you need a very fine cord, or a very flexible one. So the next time you're looking for a lashing for that tripod or shelter, don't go round the twist - use a withy! :D

I'd be really interested if other members have knowledge of other withy-making materials, and other suitable knots - or any other withy lore in general.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Willow withies are the most common, but hazel and ash both work well for certain applications. The ash withies are often used just split out from a thin branch or sappling and wrapped. Ash withies were used to hold wooden buckets together before metal bands became popular.

Eric

Wayland

Hárbarðr
gregorach said:
I almost every case where I need a field-expedient lashing, I'll go for a withy over twisted cordage - they're just so much less effort. The only exceptions are when you need a very fine cord, or a very flexible one. So the next time you're looking for a lashing for that tripod or shelter, don't go round the twist - use a withy! :D

I agree completely. I've use withies loads of times for quick rough and ready applications.

xylaria

I am with withy brigiade :D

I live a few feet from the river trent and willow and hazel withys are plentyful.

I remember watching a ray mears where he made a Yule ring being very fancy with jointed sticks and cordage, and just thought why aren't you using withies :dunno: I been making Yule rings (+ beltane crowns) for years and have always made the base with willow withys. It takes me about half a hour to make one.

I have nothing against cordage is has it place, and is fun to make. But I do find when harvesting nettles a willow withy comes in useful.
A): to tie up the nettles
B): To chew up the green bark and spit on the stings. Willow I think works quicker that dock leaves. :approve:

xylaria

gregorach said:
The main difference in use between a withy and twisted cordage is that the withy is less flexible. They don't like tight radius curves or being bent backwards, so you've got to change the knots you use - the clove hitch is pretty much the definitive withy knot as far as I know.

I'd be really interested if other members have knowledge of other withy-making materials, and other suitable knots - or any other withy lore in general.

Ivy is really flexible and cordage like. It cant wieght bare in same way and snaps with a force applied in the wrong direction.

:offtopic: : Willow bark is also good for toothache, just chew like with the nettle remedy until it tastes like asprin :yuck: In fact it will really treat most minor painful condtions.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
That's a good tip xylaria. Well, two actually... ;) In fact, asprin was developed based on an extract of willow bark.

Eric - you've got me curious now. I know how you get an iron hoop good and tight on a bucket or barrel - just get it hot, whack it in place, and quench it. I'm really curious as to how you would get a hazel withy tight enough - any ideas?

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
I'd like to reopen this purely for the fact that I'm not always sure what I'm looking for when selecting a withy? Any tips?

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Eric - you've got me curious now. I know how you get an iron hoop good and tight on a bucket or barrel - just get it hot, whack it in place, and quench it. I'm really curious as to how you would get a hazel withy tight enough - any ideas?

I'm guessing that shrinkage tightens up the withy band.

Grunde

Mar 12, 2015
Norway
Hi everybody.
I came over this thread about whitties on google, and I instantly had to sign up for this forum. Great to be here!

I know that withies was used extensively in Norway in yonder years, but kinda went out of fashion when steel wire became affordable.
However, my granddad was pretty old school and regarded withies as something of a universal remedy for just about everything. Before 1850 or so, everybody knew how to twist a withy. They didn't use them just as rope for bundling twigs or securing loads, but really for everything like hinges, rowlocks, carrying a catch of fish, for belts or securing live stock. In fact, withies was the chosen material for ski bindings, and was even used to make impromptu rucksacks of frames for carrying home firewood or the meat of a freshly killed icebear.

Withies may not make the longest lasting ropes in the world, but when it breaks it's so easily mended and finding the raw materials is a breeze. At least in some parts of Norway birch was used, and only birch. Some harvested it in spring to get the bark off easily. Others would never use a withy with sap in it, but would only harvest late in fall when the wood is said to be tougher.
I use a variety of woods for withies myself, usually what's closest at hand and will do the job. If you don't know how suitable a certain wood will be, I would have thunk you can test it by trying to snap a twig. Some woods like fresh Ash breaks like a pencil, while others like birchwood just folds over like a rope.

After I started using withies myself I discovered there really is no end to what you can do with them. And really, why should I carry around a big ball of expensive rope transported from the other side of the planet, when a withy does the exact same job, some times better? Plus it doesn't litter. And it's completely bio-degradable.
Wandering off your campsite in search of a suitable twig makes you take in the environment in a whole different way, even if you stray only a couple of yards. I'm not sure how many birds nests, rare plants and wildlife I've spotted on my small expeditions for withies, but it's a lot!
I really think more people should go back to this form of outdoors activity.

Hope this was helpful
Grunde

And by the way:
gregorach: You don't need to tighten the withy around the bucket. You make a hoop first, makes sure it's just the right size, and then you just wack it into place around the bucket until it sits tight. Just like you would do with a steel hoop. I'm not really sure it's that important to heat the steel hoops when making barrels or buckets. Withies are used to make wooden barrels in Norway even today.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Willows (Salix sp) are members of the Family Salicaceae.
The active ingedient in the bark for the relief of pain is salicin, a biomolecule similar to salicylic acid and the more familiar acetysalicylic acid or ASA/aspirin.
Trivia you didn't need to know!

Here in the Pacific Northwest, common binding materials include split spruce roots for binding the corner of waterproof kerf-bent boxes. The fresh stuff bends like rubber.
There's an interesting cordage made from the outer stringy bark of the Western Red Cedar (Thuja plicata) which can be woven into blankets, robes and the iconic cone-shaped & waterproof hats of the Haida people. Have yet to learn what the Haida used as cordage for ocean fishing lines and nets.

Grunde

Mar 12, 2015
Norway
Cool thread resurrection, thanks goodjob

Thanks White Bear!
I thought that the humble withy was too important an issue not to comment on. :)

But I really do think this resource deserves more attention from bushcrafters on the whole. The technique is learned in an afternoon, and the reward is huge! I really can't think of a more massively useful skill for bushcrafting, after friction fire.
Maybe we spend too much time on the sofa fiddling with elaborate and time consuming bushcraft techniques like basketry, making rope and twine, carving antler fish hooks, sowing ornate leather shoes or bickering over the proper blade shape of a buchcraft knife (and I may be the worst one of us all). Let's not forget the basics.

It's a funny thing. The more bushcraft skills I get, and the more man made products I learn to do without, the more i feel like I'm master of my environment. It's a wonderful and empowering feeling.
Grunde

Grunde

Mar 12, 2015
Norway
By the way.
I found this old Norwegian book with a large section on withies. Amongst a lot of techniques and traditions with withies - it also describes the knots that were used.

If anybody is interested I can probably post some photos.

Grunde

stonehippo

Forager
May 15, 2011
Birmingham
I would be very interested in that.

By the way.
I found this old Norwegian book with a large section on withies. Amongst a lot of techniques and traditions with withies - it also describes the knots that were used.

If anybody is interested I can probably post some photos.

Grunde

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Yew branch withies when used to sew the Ferriby bronze age boat at Falmouth were twisted while being inserted into the sewing holes. It was found that fresh cut thin branches were essential. Some got ready by stripping the needles a day or two earlier than being used tended to be too dry to twist without breaking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE