TOP TIPS AND TRICKS.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That’s I nice piece of kit.

I had no idea about the pencil sharpener until I was using one last night. I’ve ordered some two hole metal ones.

In fact all I ever use is a 12 mm ferrocerium and my tumbler fluff (or a back up cotton wool ball). I get a spark with whatever is to hand - often the back of an Opinel sometimes a steel spork. The rest is shavings and chippings off whatever I find to shove into the Kettle.

To keep to the OP - the idea was new to me so I put it here. Since the arrival of the internet I have learned that there are very few new ideas so I’m not surprised that it was already known.
The pencil sharpeners are often made of magnesium. I’m pretty sure the Spitfire kit ones are, so you can scrape shavings off them too.

Reactions: Pattree

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
So easy!

Ingredients
Two nesting buckets
One lid
Long handled sink plunger
Drill

Method
Drill hole in lid big enough to put the sink plunger through, make sure it moves up and down smoothly.
Drill holes in one bucket in the bottom and sides evenly spaced all the way up and round.
Drill holes in the sink plunger. Just enough to stop suction.

How to use
Insert the holey bucket into the whole bucket.
Fill with hot water, washing soap, and clothes.
Insert the plunger into the lid
Put lid firmly onto the two nested buckets, and work up and down for a few minutes agitating the clothes to release dirt.
Remove lid and plunger, remove inner perforated bucket and drain as well as you can, by pressing out the water, and swinging the bucket to provide a bit of a spin.
Refil with clean water and rinse the clothes .remove and drain as before.
Peg out to dry.
Perfect for off grid living, or grid down scenarios.
Every home should have one. :)
i found this.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Very simple catapult range I made using a sheet, some string and two hazel poles. The ammo rolls down and I pick it all up again using a magnet on a stick, In this case an old torch, cable tied on. It saves faffing about picking them all up and it saves your back. The catapult has a cable tie on the the upper band. I had one come off once and thwack me in the eye. That can't happen now. Also notice the cross drawn on the leather pouch. If the bands get twisted this really helps to put it right again. Hope thats useful to someone. xxxx
IMG_1343.JPGIMG_1344.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1345.JPG
    IMG_1345.JPG
    496.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1346.JPG
    IMG_1346.JPG
    372.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
The pencil sharpeners are often made of magnesium. I’m pretty sure the Spitfire kit ones are, so you can scrape shavings off them too.

Finally someone posted a video using a KUM magnesium sharpener.

Reactions: Nice65

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Jig for tying DIY slingshot bands. I will be saving lots of time and resources by making and using one of these, Fantastic idea.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
These are cable ties making it easier to pull my boots on. They are reusable ones so I am able to remove them when I want to look cool down at the local disco. Mine are loops but to have snag free you just pull them all the way through and use the protruding tag. xIMG_1386.JPG

Reactions: Kadushu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE