Ignorant Public regarding Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rabsyboy

May 26, 2007
yep, absolutely.

There's PR considerations to take into account - I'm sure that my work mates think I'm a bit weird anyway, when I mention that I spent saturday making charcloth or cooking a new wild fungus i found, without being seen as dangerous as well, even though I see knives and so on as a valuable tool.

I mean, you'd never think of bringing an pair of shears or a scythe to work, if you really liked gardening, so waving a knife about is a definite no-no. (I know you weren't waving it about, but you know what I mean).

Just be discrete.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
A while back, I brought a friend's (cased) airgun into work to hand over to another friend (quietly, after the end of the working day when most folks had left).
Someone noticed and got upset; I apologised.

Then pointed out politely that I'd checked the law with the police, that we both had firearms training, that it would require 11 distinct conscious steps to fire the rifle, and that there was more energy in the swing of any of the golf clubs scattered around the office than in a fired pellet. I had a "Father's advice to his son" drilled into me early, and never even let the case point at anybody.

From a safety, a practical and a legal point of view, I'd done nothing wrong. But I won't do it again. Good manners cost nothing.

At work I never carry a knife, I don't need to its that simple however my car usually has two possibly three.
I've got an opinel in my door pocket as an emergency seat belt cutter and pheasant gutter ;) , I've usually got a leatherman wave in my jacket out of work always (and this is illegal as it has a locking blade) and I have a woodcraft type knife in my boot with a grab bag. I'm not advocating breaking the law, I'm advocating common sense.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
As mentioned, it's all contextual.

I have to admit, I'd be somewhat concerned if someone brought a 10" hunting knife into the office. Did you not think of showing the knife to your work colleague away from the eyes of your other co-workers? Would this not have avoided all of the comments?

Everybody just stop for a moment and think how other people will view you carrying a knife around and in what situtations. Whilst it's perfectly acceptable to carry a hunting knife when hunting in the woods/moors, I would argue it's not socially acceptable to take it to your office and have it in plain view.

We live in a society whether you like it or not. If you re-read this whole thread and look at some of the comments that have been made, think about how this could be viewed by someone who's never been on this forum before. If you don't get it, try inserting the word 'handgun' or 'pistol' instead of 'knife' and imagine the headlines. If you truly understand society, none of the above should come as any surprise.

I like my bushcraft but I don't want to be branded as a 'knife-wielding survivalist'. And, as for calling the general public (of which - let's not forget - you are a part) 'sheople' - ***? Get a grip - you're beginning to sound like teenagers in a little school clique.

Anyone who advocates openly carrying a knife in public and complains when they are arrested/hassled by the police needs to get some counselling. I'm no angel but I certainly wouldn't invite trouble.

We talk about 'common sense' all the time on this site. How about we use some?

Well said Mike.

Was thinking exactly the same thing as i was reading through this.

Carrying knives into work to show a colleague is not legal and its not responsible either. Your lucky you havent found yourslef fired tbh.

Someone posted a while back about being stopped by the police for speeding and their found his bushcraft knife on his front seat and gave him a ticking off for it. He was having a right b&*%h about them. But again its not a responsible or legal thing to do.

You are not above the knife laws, so stop complaining about other people!

If you aren't carrying it for a job, then don't carry it!

:cussing:

rabsyboy

May 26, 2007
i carry a small one inch blade knife, but its a combi one, with a bottle opener on it, and its on a keyring - so i think thats pretty much ok.

Its got a long lanyard so I can use it to strike my firestriker without removing it from the keyring.

I think the firelighter is probably the most dangerous thing on my keyring - it weighs a ton :)

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Let me ask a couple of stupid questions. Does your place of employment have a kitchen? Does the kitchen have utensils including knives? Ours does, and a large knife at that. No one views it as a weapon, its a tool used for cutting food. The problem today is all the fear and paranoia. Anything can be used as a weapon should someone be so inclined. Law makers bandaid social problems by making crazy laws that restrict everyone not just the criminals. If they would punish criminals instead of the general public, we wouldn't need all these silly laws. If 95% of the general public is law abiding, then shouldn't the 5% that are not suffer the consequences of their actions, and the other 95% be left alone. Why then make a law that affects 100% of the population? You know what I mean?

rabsyboy

May 26, 2007
good point about the kitchen knife.

Though try wondering about the office with it, and see if people look at you strangely - or hide behind a door with it for better effect :)

I'm waiting (hoping) for the day when someone gets killed with a cricket bat, so they all get branded as "evil" and banned. Ha - no more cricket.

Let me ask a couple of stupid questions. Does your place of employment have a kitchen? Does the kitchen have utensils including knives? Ours does, and a large knife at that. No one views it as a weapon, its a tool used for cutting food. The problem today is all the fear and paranoia. Anything can be used as a weapon should someone be so inclined. Law makers bandaid social problems by making crazy laws that restrict everyone not just the criminals. If they would punish criminals instead of the general public, we wouldn't need all these silly laws. If 95% of the general public is law abiding, then shouldn't the 5% that are not suffer the consequences of their actions, and the other 95% be left alone. Why then make a law that affects 100% of the population? You know what I mean?

Absolutely agree and I'm afraid we, the general public, ARE sheep in this regard. Liberalisation of criminal justice has only meant liberalisation for the law breaker - it has meant the complete opposite for the law abider. A knife, in the right hands,is a tool - nothing more or less. A claw hammer, for example, in the wrong hands is a lethally offensive weapon.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk

Sure, your 100% correct.

The point is thought that that knife is in a place where there is a use for it. Take it out of the kitchen and it is no longer a kitchen knife.. yeah? So what is its purpose now?
If the chef in our building walked up here with one of his knives in his hand I'd wander wth he was doing with it.

IMO a tool only remains a tool while it is being used for the thing it is intended for.

Likewise if someone was to walk in holding a glass ashtray i'd be pretty suspicious too!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I wouldnt show my knives in an office (not that I have ever been priviledged enough to work in one, BTW) without a lot of thought and assessment of situations

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I was a work today and the cook asked me to sharpen her knives: one has a blade about 12 or 13", the other one shorter but still evil looking things. No one batted an eye lid over my walking around with them. But then, they know me as the woodworking tutor. I have sharpened some of my clients' cooking knives and the cook's own home knives too.

And yet I was telling one of the staff members about the knives I make, and got funny looks about those "weapons".

I think the context in which a knife happens to appear is important. A kitchen knife in a kitchen is ok. A kitchen knife on a bus and everyone runs out! I think that's fair enough. I don't show my knives, don't put them on display and normally don't even talk about them, except to like minded people.

It would be a bit like standing under the only tall tree in a thunderstom. You're asking for trouble :D

Darn, I can't find a lightning strike smilie:eek:

Dynamite Dan

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 19, 2007
BlackBurn, Lancashire
Im lucky i havent been fired????

You don't know the situation at my workplace, my boss collects samurai swords ( which i have bought a few off him), my supervisor collects shotguns (lives on a farm)
and i am bloody good at my job and well respected in my skills. To say that, about me getting sacked is a bit narrow minded.

As for the Knife in work thing, it only had a 5" blade, and i kept it concealed until it was time for show n tell. It wasn't a falling out at work, it just surprised me that's all, as I've never had anybody say anything to me like that.

garbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2006
uk

beware of the sheeple mate, they kick and scream if you try to fight your corner and there are plenty of them to go round on this forum. Bushcraft it seems has to be politic'ly correct these days

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
The point is thought that that knife is in a place where there is a use for it. Take it out of the kitchen and it is no longer a kitchen knife.. yeah? So what is its purpose now?
If the chef in our building walked up here with one of his knives in his hand I'd wander wth he was doing with it.

Valid point, no argument here. Same would be true if he were walking around the office with a baseball bat. That being said, if a number of people started bludgeoning each other with baseball bats should we then band the sport? Or would it not justice be served better by punishing the wrongdoers appropriately rather than everyone else?

Risclean

Forager
Feb 28, 2007
North Highlands
I was recently clearing some scrub with the countryside rangers and I was trying out my 9" samkniv. One of the other volunteers came for a look at it and said, "that's an offensive weapon." He's a sensible guy as well.
The was after I'd turned up with 3 different slashers, a Faithfull pruning saw and a lopper and used them for the last hour. And he uses an old billhook which is much heavier than my samekniv.

bazil

Jul 14, 2006
under a fallen tree
Sure, your 100% correct.

IMO a tool only remains a tool while it is being used for the thing it is intended for.

Likewise if someone was to walk in holding a glass ashtray i'd be pretty suspicious too!

a tool always remains a tool untill it is used for something other than what it is intended for
(does it magically change when you put it down...and if so...can you give me the adress of the smith...because that sounds like some nice steel)
i would also be suspicious of the chap with the glass ashtray...what with the smoking ban and all...i think i would follow him to find out where to go for a dry fag!!!

I haven't been on bushcraftuk.com for long and I have to admit to being dissappointed with some of the sanctimonious repies. I like legislation when it benefits all but the "oooh we mustn't upset our Whitehall masters" tone from some of the posters on here, frankly sickens me.

Me - I will carry a knife when and where I bloody well choose!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE