Ignorant Public regarding Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I've never had any trouble, but I'd hate for my first confrontation (not that I'm planning one) to be an escalation of egos to the point where I find myself with a record!

But if you have done nothing you can not be charged with anything. Remember the police only report crime for prosecution. They do not want to look silly in the eyes of the Crown Prosecution Service (all those 'kin clever dicky lawyers with their law degree's) and definately not in front of Magistrates or a Judge - my wife was a Magistrate and she would rip a copper a new hole if he expected to win a case on the goodwill of the court.

Contrary to popular belief the police, CPS and judiciary do not all get together for breakfast or dinner and drinks at either end of the court day. The judiciary requires that all cases heard in their court are correctly presented - if made aware of a breach of the law by the police they will bounce them severly.

If the officer has no reason to search you then he does not need to mess you around by searching you. Sad to say thats all it is, harrassing a dodgy looking character.........hand up, I've done it and I've seen it done plenty of times. The thing is if it is at a reasonable time of the day, you are not drunk or behaving suspiciously you have nothing to worry about.

"Why do you want to search me officer"?
"Are you allowed to do that"?
"I'm not too sure you are, I am not saying I do not consent to a lawful search but I would like a supervising officer to come here and tell me it is legal and I would like you to enter this conversation in your pocket book and let me countersign it and I would also like you to give me one of your official business cards with your name and number on it".
Also get another member of the public to stand there as an independent witness to what is said.

The Law is the Law, thats why out of the 300,000 police officers reported for speeding last year only 400 were prosecuted........they know how to use the law.

Anyway that's it for my legal input, I'm here for the tree's.

edit: apparently I used a naughty word, I apologise.

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Ogri you are so right. NO-one wants to get into a conflict of egos with a police officer. As a former police officer I would suggest that you should never do that. I can also see what tourist means.
What astonishes me is that Traderran says Brits are paranoid. I've been in the US for a year
I have never witnessed such paranoia. People in the most rural of areas ( and never likely to be of interest to terrorists) are preparing to be attacked. One of my roles is to participate in Red Cross Disaster planning, fires and floods with some earthquakes by and large, but ordinary people in the back of beyond have been conditioned by media and politicians to fear imminent attack.
The amusing thing here is that my bushy, an original Allen Blade, gets no remarks at all because the next guy is carrying a rifle over his shoulder or his pistol is lying in full view in his car. :confused:
What is happening right now where I am is that this State is number 4 in the US for domestic violence against women, and reported rapes here have doubled in the last 6 months. Wierd that prostitution in this state is legal
I think Toddy put the case beautifully, if its not needed why carry it.:You_Rock_
Just my 2 cents,
George

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Ogri you are so right. NO-one wants to get into a conflict of egos with a police officer. As a former police officer I would suggest that you should never do that. I can also see what tourist means.
What astonishes me is that Traderran says Brits are paranoid. I've been in the US for a year
I have never witnessed such paranoia. People in the most rural of areas ( and never likely to be of interest to terrorists) are preparing to be attacked. One of my roles is to participate in Red Cross Disaster planning, fires and floods with some earthquakes by and large, but ordinary people in the back of beyond have been conditioned by media and politicians to fear imminent attack.

the thing that cracks me up about the States its illegal to have a gun with a silencer but you can purchase a machine gun what a mad country :rant:

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA

the thing that cracks me up about the States its illegal to have a gun with a silencer but you can purchase a machine gun what a mad country :rant:

The same laws that let me purchase a automatic weapon also let me purchase a
Silencer. We do have laws against hunting with a silencer.

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
Don't forget the context.A tool in the right place won't bother anyone..

I agree with this. If I'm off camping/away for more than a few days, I take my SOG seal pup with me. But again, it is stowed in my rucksack/jacket etc and not on display at all.

More than anything its to stop "those strange looks". I think if people realised how much they cost they would realise that its there for a reason etc...

On a slightly different note, but in relation to other comments here, I do if I'm out with my dog, take a 1.5 inch swiss army knife. I used to take the SOG, (again concealed etc) but I had a run in with a chinless wonder who approached me and my dog with a shotgun. He threatened to shoot my dog (no sheep/animals/crops in sight!) which I obviously wasnt too happy about. Every since then I have left the SOG at home and never taken in out with me again.

I think more than anything I was slightly shook up about how things could have gone. Shame really, I'll just have to thump him next time ;)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I agree with this. If I'm off camping/away for more than a few days, I take my SOG seal pup with me. But again, it is stowed in my rucksack/jacket etc and not on display at all.

More than anything its to stop "those strange looks". I think if people realised how much they cost they would realise that its there for a reason etc...

On a slightly different note, but in relation to other comments here, I do if I'm out with my dog, take a 1.5 inch swiss army knife. I used to take the SOG, (again concealed etc) but I had a run in with a chinless wonder who approached me and my dog with a shotgun. He threatened to shoot my dog (no sheep/animals/crops in sight!) which I obviously wasnt too happy about. Every since then I have left the SOG at home and never taken in out with me again.

I think more than anything I was slightly shook up about how things could have gone. Shame really, I'll just have to thump him next time ;)

"He threatened to shoot my dog" Inform the police as even if you were trespassing by accident or purpose he has no right to threaten you or your dog. I cannot condone thumping the :tapedshut as this is a public forum but in jest i would say bury the ***** next time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE