Ignorant Public regarding Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dynamite Dan

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 19, 2007
BlackBurn, Lancashire
Hi.

Today in work i took a knife in to show somebody that has been a hunter in his past, the knife i took in is not a big knife, its only about 10" with half and half blade and handle, (5"-5") I took it in to get some sharpening tips as its a hollow grind.

Well a few people saw me talking to this man and him looking at the knife, and studying it.

then they said.. "woahhh, what you gunna do with that?"

It then became apparent to me that the knife is not even thought of as a tool, its been demonised as an offensive weapon, and that's the way everyone sees it.

Then a woman said "what you doing with that? you could kill somebody with that if you wanted" too which i replied, i could kill somebody with an ashtray if i wanted, does that make them illegal?

I find it a shame that people cant see knives as the tool they are, and not as the offensive weapon they are known as.

yes i know there are Rambo style knife designed to kill, but this one i took into work wasn't anything like that.

If i go to a meetup with you guys, i EXPECT you to be carrying knives with you,

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Don't forget the context.A tool in the right place won't bother anyone.

If a registered deer stalker turned up at your workplace with his 9mm pistol,I think even you would be a little taken aback.

I.E." why has he taken it to work?" and other reasonable questions.

Jun 18, 2007
Having come from California, to the UK, the knife laws that I thought were draconian seem quite liberal now They've changed in Cali since I was there last, but if memory serves, you could carry up to a 3" blade concealed, 3-3.5"" blade partially concealed (got a half serrated folder that shows exactly how this was accomplished) and anything longer had to be carried unconcealed. You would get stopped and questioned about what you were carrying and why, especially if you decided to haul a hand-and-a-half sword to the mall.

Here, I have trouble getting a straight answer as to what I can carry, as well as when/where I can carry it. Local police hassle people that carry a small swiss army knife, and I've even had to stop carrying my leatherman micra on my keychain because of the local police... and it's only going to get worse.

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
Be very careful taking a knife into work dude as some irksome colleague might stir up a stink about it and get you into trouble.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I carry a knife at work around my neck its part of my PPE in case I have to cut my rope if I or a work mate get stuck in a tree. But its getting really bad this knife law, the point made about the ash tray is a fair comment. I mean the only reason these idiots have been attacking and robbing people with knives is because of the gun law, now they introduce a knife law. What will it be next? a screwdriver ban? because there are plenty of crimes commited with screwdrivers:) .

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
What's a shame is that the good suffer for the bad. Just because a few thugs may use their knives to harm others shouldn't make life difficult for those of us that use them as tools you know. Before 911 I had no problems flying with my SAK in my pocket. I've even taken it out, put it in the bowl with my keys, and had them hand it back to me after passing through the metal detecter. Try that now and see what happens. Seems like instead of dealing with the riff raff properly, its easier just to make a bunch of laws. O.K. rant over. :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's pretty straight forward.
In normal conditions, i.e. no schools, and not on sites that are under special security measures such as airports or railway stations, or in social situations where alcohol may cause a loss of inhibition such as discos and clubs; then a sub 3" non locking folder is acceptable every day carry.
However, if the Police feel the need to search you, and they may well have to justify their actions later so this isn't as random an act as it may first seem, and you do not say clearly straight out that you have legal pocket knife on your person, then you can be in trouble.
If you are carrying a knife as a tool, for foraging, bushcraft, camping, to cut materials in your everyday work then that is perfectly permissable. But don't carry a big blade on your hip all day through town just 'cos you're going camping the next weekend or leave it unattended in a bag or vehicle.

Cheers,
Toddy

Dynamite Dan

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 19, 2007
BlackBurn, Lancashire
lets just clear one thing up.

I work at British Aerospace, most of the time on Civil Aircraft, but sometimes i work in the Military sections where security is uppermost, i have to have MOD security clearance to access these areas. I have a SOG Access card clipped to my belt all day every day,

Its Not the workplace that rules the mindset, it the workforce, I have common sense and don't allow my knife to be seen unless in use , i always have it conceeled.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
It's pretty straight forward.
In normal conditions, i.e. no schools, and not on sites that are under special security measures such as airports or railway stations, or in social situations where alcohol may cause a loss of inhibition such as discos and clubs; then a sub 3" non locking folder is acceptable every day carry.
However, if the Police feel the need to search you, and they may well have to justify their actions later so this isn't as random an act as it may first seem, and you do not say clearly straight out that you have legal pocket knife on your person, then you can be in trouble.
If you are carrying a knife as a tool, for foraging, bushcraft, camping, to cut materials in your everyday work then that is perfectly permissable. But don't carry a big blade on your hip all day through town just 'cos you're going camping the next weekend or leave it unattended in a bag or vehicle.

Cheers,
Toddy

Good answer.

Why even rant on you have lost the battle in the UK once you let them take the guns and now any edged tool you will be stuck with butter knives welcome to the new world reality surprised they have not RFID chipped you all over their yet! The sheople have won the battle....
The fun will start when they have maxed out their credit and morgages and the world economy crashes will be fun to watch em all cry like 2 year olds with no clue why it happend and them blaming the banks and credit card companys when it was thier own falt after all living large they will drop large too....LOL....

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Why even rant on you have lost the battle in the UK once you let them take the guns and now any edged tool you will be stuck with butter knives welcome to the new world reality surprised they have not RFID chipped you all over their yet! The sheople have won the battle....
The fun will start when they have maxed out their credit and morgages and the world economy crashes will be fun to watch em all cry like 2 year olds with no clue why it happend and them blaming the banks and credit card companys when it was thier own falt after all living large they will drop large too....LOL....

Ok Burt, Just hold the forst till WW3

burt.jpg

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Don't forget the context.A tool in the right place won't bother anyone.

If a registered deer stalker turned up at your workplace with his 9mm pistol,I think even you would be a little taken aback.

I.E." why has he taken it to work?" and other reasonable questions.

True Mike...but I would be suspicious of anyone who stalked deer with a 9mm pistol, whether it was at work or if I bumped into them in the woods :eek: ;)

rabsyboy

May 26, 2007
If you had problems with the knife at work, imagine what I had to put up with when I picked my new Machette up from the sorting office, and then took it in to work.

I think on reflection, it was a mistake to write "justice" on the blade, and sit stroking it wistfully for hours on end, whilst mumbling quietly to myself - but it WAS a slow day.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
If you had problems with the knife at work, imagine what I had to put up with when I picked my new Machette up from the sorting office, and then took it in to work.

I think on reflection, it was a mistake to write "justice" on the blade, and sit stroking it wistfully for hours on end, whilst mumbling quietly to myself - but it WAS a slow day.

PSML......:lmao:

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
i just carry a small folding pocket knife, it serves most tasks i need to perform in a bushcrafting capacity.
Im also learning to work with and make tools out of flint and i have to say some of my efforts have produced tools that if in the wrong hands would be much more dangerous than my pocket knife.
Im thinking it may be a long while before the law makers ban carrying slithers of rock i might stow my knife in my boot for emergencies and work soley with flint from now on.

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
This thread reminds me of last year when I went through customs on my motorbike prior to boarding a channel ferry. The customs lady stopped me and asked 'are you carrying anything dangerous'. It was hard to keep a straight face. Naturally I said no to avoid the possibility of customs getting me to unpack everything--and then they would have found an Opinel and Leatherman Wave.

But, honestly, I've got a full toolkit under the seat and I'm sure I could do some damage with my molegrips!

The problem as I see it is that officials these days have no lattitude. They operate in a climate of fear: that if they do or say the wrong thing they'll get into some kind of trouble. The result of an overiding state control in most areas of all our lives.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
As mentioned, it's all contextual.

I have to admit, I'd be somewhat concerned if someone brought a 10" hunting knife into the office. Did you not think of showing the knife to your work colleague away from the eyes of your other co-workers? Would this not have avoided all of the comments?

Everybody just stop for a moment and think how other people will view you carrying a knife around and in what situtations. Whilst it's perfectly acceptable to carry a hunting knife when hunting in the woods/moors, I would argue it's not socially acceptable to take it to your office and have it in plain view.

We live in a society whether you like it or not. If you re-read this whole thread and look at some of the comments that have been made, think about how this could be viewed by someone who's never been on this forum before. If you don't get it, try inserting the word 'handgun' or 'pistol' instead of 'knife' and imagine the headlines. If you truly understand society, none of the above should come as any surprise.

I like my bushcraft but I don't want to be branded as a 'knife-wielding survivalist'. And, as for calling the general public (of which - let's not forget - you are a part) 'sheople' - ***? Get a grip - you're beginning to sound like teenagers in a little school clique.

Anyone who advocates openly carrying a knife in public and complains when they are arrested/hassled by the police needs to get some counselling. I'm no angel but I certainly wouldn't invite trouble.

We talk about 'common sense' all the time on this site. How about we use some?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE