I know nothing about Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
Hello. I know nothing about bushcraft. Well, I've encountered some occasionally, and my Dad has tried to teach me his knot tying skills (but it keeps leaking out again), and obviously, I've watched Ray Mears' programmes. But in reality, I know nothing about bushcraft.

My first introduction to the subject was discovering a copy of 'How to Survive' by Brian Hildreth (Penguin, 1976) somewhere on a book shelf when I was a kid. I was most interested in the parts with diagrams of shelters and different kinds of fire, but never got much farther into it than that.

Then Mr Mears came along many years later and I could see someone actually doing this stuff. Very interesting, but still I was not moved to go out into the cold and damp. You see, I'm a creature of home comforts. I like soft living and while I can work as hard as the rest, I usually do so with the expectation of a hot shower to scrape the muck off at the end of the day. Living in it for days or weeks at a time never appealed.

So what are you doing here? Well, I'm still fascinated by the art - well, mostly the science - of bushcraft. I found this forum two years ago and asked about water purification, which then led on to a discussion about immunological rigour and the standards of cleanliness in modern society.

But what are you really doing here? I've decided to develop this nascent interest of many years into a proper hobby/past-time/thing what I does and see where it leads me, which could be nowhere, but I'll find out.

Okay, so who are you? You ready for the sob story? I turn 30 in two months and am unemployed (one of the very first casualties of the recession, too, so I've got tenure!). I would like to say that this experience has not rocked my boat, but in all honesty, I may be slightly insane right now. Judging from this post, that might mean multiple personality disorder. Shut up. No, you shut up. My saving grace? No wife or kids to pay for, although there are 3 dogs in the equation, which is a lot like having 3 highly mobile, furry toddlers around your ankles all the time.

I live in Warrington, Cheshire, about five minutes drive from the Ferry pub where I often go to look at boats.

Yeah, whatever. So what's with this username? Oh, I don't know! It's so hard to dream up unique usernames these days. I think I once read a website that listed Roman names and this one was supposed to mean 'dark haired' or something like that. As a literal description, it appealed to me (I ain't blonde). Also because a quick google revealed very little about it. So there you have it. But if you ever meet me in the horrible flesh, it's Mike.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Hi Mike
Well you've come to the right place. There are many people here with a vast store of knowledge. You will find that most are patient and will help you learn new skills. Don't be afraid to ask questions (even if they seem daft) there will be someone who can point you in the right direction...

Welcome to the family

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Welcome :)

Bushcraft or outdoorsy type of stuff, what ever one wants to call it has been my interest for quite a while now and despite constant reading and doing i still know nawt. :rolleyes:

What i do know is this bushcrafty stuff leads to many paths and currently its bow making and flora. Who knows where it will be off next....

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
Thanks for the welcome and encouragement, folks.

Welcome Mike.

I don't know much about it either and I think that's a great place to start from.

I think you should know that I've just been reading your website which came quite close to the top of the list when I searched for "possibles bag".

You don't know much about bushcraft in the same way that Gordon Hillman doesn't know much about mushrooms ;-)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Thanks for the welcome and encouragement, folks.

I think you should know that I've just been reading your website which came quite close to the top of the list when I searched for "possibles bag".

You don't know much about bushcraft in the same way that Gordon Hillman doesn't know much about mushrooms ;-)

If I know anything it's that I still have a huge amount to learn.
4166.gif

Hope you enjoy yourself as much here as I have.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Mike - welcome to the forum :)

Something new to be learnt here everyday, that's what keeps me coming back anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE