How to keep your billy clean?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
And no, I don't need advice on looking after uncle William! :)

There are a few threads floating around about billies and there are recurring comments about scrubbing off the soot stains. Wire wool, ash from the fire and more are suggested and all seem like hard work!

But what is the best?

I haven't used a billy for years (just bought a Tatonka to see how it goes), but when I did I'd rub the outside of the tin with a bar of soap. This formed a barrier between the flame and the metal. When finished cooking, the soot would just wash off.

Any other suggestions?

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
When out camping, I just rinse inside out with boiling water and some ash and take a small brush and a credit card for the stubborn bits. I use a metal swarf type scrubber for the outside when get back home.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Why bother cleaning the outside at all? As long as the inside is clean what does it matter?

I just quickly wash off the loose stuff from the outside then store it in a bag to keep all my other gear clean.

I think this is what most folk do....

Simon

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I seldom bother to scrub the soot of my cooking pots. But occationally I do.
The best remedy for this is (IMO) washing detergent used in the car wash at the gas stations.
This liquid soap is very strong and probably not good for your hands but it works best off all the remedies I`ve tried.

Tor

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
When out in the field I just give it rub with whatever is at hand (leaves, grass, sand, anything really). It doesn't become spotless, but why should it.

Do give it a thorough cleaning when I get home and it won't be used for a longer periode.

Oh and off course clean everything very very very good before going on the summer holliday when my wife will also use them... (for some strange reason she thinks it is unhygenic to use blackend pots..)

But as long as I'm camping alone I don't really care about the outside of the pots and pans.

For the inside I just boil some water with either ash or green soap and clean out with either a small spunge (if I have taken one with me) or a couple of twigs, with the ends beaten up.

Yep, this is some work, but thats also some of the fun.....

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Why bother cleaning the outside at all? As long as the inside is clean what does it matter?

I just quickly wash off the loose stuff from the outside then store it in a bag to keep all my other gear clean.

I think this is what most folk do....

Simon

I only bother with the outside if been cooking over a fire when buning unseasoned birch or coniferous woods, cause after 5 continuous days of this there is a good few mm of tar mixed in with leaves and all manner of forest, cleaning it now and again increases cooking time and it only takes 5mins in the sink back at home.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Someone asked about why bothering to clean the outside.
Well, I clean the outside because the soot soon transposes onto other bits of kit and then just becomes a pain keeping clean. By cleaning off the worst of it you can stop the mess spreading.
As to what to use.
Well, I was out a month or so ago and I happened to be sitting beneath a sweet chestnut tree. There were loads of old husks about and I used some of those as scouring pads. Both inside and outside. Did the job perfectly.
However, when chestnuts are not in season I tend to use a fistful of grass. A good scrub with that gets most of. That and rub the pot on the grass. Always works for me.
Mind you, it doesn't get rid of it all, but that doesn't matter - what is left is unlikely to come off on anything else anyway, and that 'seasoned' look is quite appealing...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve made some nylon bags for each nesting billy to go in, saves cleaning the outside altogether then. I will give them a quick rub on the ground to get most of it off before bagging and packing up though.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Someone asked about why bothering to clean the outside.
Well, I clean the outside because the soot soon transposes onto other bits of kit and then just becomes a pain keeping clean. By cleaning off the worst of it you can stop the mess spreading.
As to what to use.
Well, I was out a month or so ago and I happened to be sitting beneath a sweet chestnut tree. There were loads of old husks about and I used some of those as scouring pads. Both inside and outside. Did the job perfectly.
However, when chestnuts are not in season I tend to use a fistful of grass. A good scrub with that gets most of. That and rub the pot on the grass. Always worked for me.

If the problem is a dirty pot sooting down your other kit, why not get a bag to transport the dirty pot in?
A cloth bag is easy to make and weigh next to nothing. A cotton bag isn`t affected by the heat either (if not red hot that is), like leather wich can shrink and nylon wich could melt.
Most of my bags are nylon though, but I take my time to cool of the pots before putting them in the bag.

Tor

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
i was in the forces when i was younger and as such i use to drive myself bonkers trying to keep my kit looking prestine

but these days ive relaxed a lot or become a slob one of the two

my advice is try and clean and wash the pan as soon as possible (obvious) always buy steel pans so you can sterelize them in the flames of the fire
and dont worry about a bit of blackening

stuff sacks for the pans is a great way of avoiding any mess (which doesnt seem to come off with scrubbing but seems to fall off as soon as you put in your backpack).

J

Jimcatt

I dont bother anymore, I like that lived in look....

Gritty sand was my favourite.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you realy want a shiny finish those wire brushes you get with Dremmels, followed by the polishing felts works wonders......
Me? - I like the blackened look!

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Just wipe the outside with leaves, the inside with bread, eat the bread,and then boil a bit of water, throw away the water, place the pot in the bag and have a good time doing something important ,like watching the birds.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
By the time I've wpied it out with bread theres not a lot left in there for soup, a bit of gruel maybe.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I have stuck to the clean-on-the-inside line.

I did manage to burn some soup on though on the inside :eek: I was out and about on chalk and tried a small lump. It's perfect, it is softer than stainless steel (not for aluminium!) but harder than charred soup. So used with a little water, it scours off the soup but at the same time grinds to fit the contours of the billy. All you are left with is a non-toxic calcareous slurry which rinses out. Unlike sand, chalk is softer than teeth so doesn't feel gritty if you miss some in the bottom.

Cheers,
Steve

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
In the wild, things take more time than they would do at home, it's a simple fact. I like it.

I don't bother with the outside much, I'm not eating the sticky soot coating, although if I did it wouldn't matter, there is nothing alive in it that could make me ill. If I have put the pot onto the actual fire, after use I'll rub the bottom of it on some handy grass (after it is cooled) and for the inside, I'll use a bit of green soap and a handful of grass or a scouring sponge pad.

If I don't have soap, ash from the fire, soaked in hot water for a bit makes a weak lye solution which cleans wonderfully, especially if there has been some grease in the pan.

When I'm out all the pots are hung separately onto a tripod bracket thing: ==> X==O=O=O==X and at home time they are simply packed away.
At home I'll get the wire wool out (brillo pad) and give them a good scrub, inside and out. Ready for next time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE