How to plan a solar system

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thank you. Ref;the 4 into 1 leads. I cant work it out though if you get 2 leads (enough to connect four panels) or just one for £19. I am very nearly there now. xxx
That kit will produce up to 6 leads. To wire in parallel, each panel will require two leads (a positive and a negative)

The 4 in one connectors are a pair so just order one

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
That kit will produce up to 6 leads. To wire in parallel, each panel will require two leads (a positive and a negative)

The 4 in one connectors are a pair so just order one
i tried but they out of stock for 2 months. i have nearly sourced everything you said. i hav got a couple of small questions to ask and i will then put the stuff in an online basket and ask you to ok it pldease before i press buy now. thank you. dale x

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Of vourse
i tried but they out of stock for 2 months. i have nearly sourced everything you said. i hav got a couple of small questions to ask and i will then put the stuff in an online basket and ask you to ok it pldease before i press buy now. thank you. dale x
No problem

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
It sounds like the sort of thing you need & you can always send it back!
BR these are my last questions before buying it all
1, i now want the controller and any batteries inside. the best place for the panels to go is about 15 meters away. can i run a cable that distance?
2. on a 12v setup under 30amps can i use 4mm cable or is 6mm better?
3. I have already bought this (link below) how does the out lead to the battery work? can I attach wires? it looks like a plug. can you get a fitting that connects to the batteries?

https://bateriapower.com/products/30a-12v-24v-pwm-solar-charge-controller?variant=48742452068644
Thank you ever so much for your help. I have learnt loads. I will send you shopping list for your confirmation later. thanks again, dale x

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
BR these are my last questions before buying it all
1, i now want the controller and any batteries inside. the best place for the panels to go is about 15 meters away. can i run a cable that distance?
2. on a 12v setup under 30amps can i use 4mm cable or is 6mm better?
3. I have already bought this (link below) how does the out lead to the battery work? can I attach wires? it looks like a plug. can you get a fitting that connects to the batteries?

https://bateriapower.com/products/30a-12v-24v-pwm-solar-charge-controller?variant=48742452068644
Thank you ever so much for your help. I have learnt loads. I will send you shopping list for your confirmation later. thanks again, dale x
Dale,

1) You can run a cable that far but thicker means less loss. Join your panels near to the panels & just run two leads (positive & negative) to the charge controller

2)Under 30 amps 4mm is okay. 6mm is good up to 50A plus. Long runs of 4mm risk loss.

3) It should come with cables with crimped on battery lugs that plug straight in.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Dale,

1) You can run a cable that far but thicker means less loss. Join your panels near to the panels & just run two leads (positive & negative) to the charge controller

2)Under 30 amps 4mm is okay. 6mm is good up to 50A plus. Long runs of 4mm risk loss.

3) It should come with cables with crimped on battery lugs that plug st
Brill I am clear with all that except in answer 1. where it says "join your panels near to the panels" what does that mean?. thank you x

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Brill I am clear with all that except in answer 1. where it says "join your panels near to the panels" what does that mean?. thank you x
Use the 4 in 1 right beside the panels then run a lead from the output to the charge controller. That way you only need 2 times 15m leads rather than 8

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Use the 4 in 1 right beside the panels then run a lead from the output to the charge controller. That way you only need 2 times 15m leads rather than 8
Ah yes. I was gona do that. here are the items i have got in my basket

The control panel you know about already. The two leads to the control panel are 6mm and 1.5 meter (the long cable is on hold for now ). can you confirm i have got the right stuff please. I am certain I have but would be good to have your say. Thank you. d x

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ah yes. I was gona do that. here are the items i have got in my basket

The control panel you know about already. The two leads to the control panel are 6mm and 1.5 meter (the long cable is on hold for now ). can you confirm i have got the right stuff please. I am certain I have but would be good to have your say. Thank you. d x
Hi Dale, the combiner is correct and should connect to the charge controller fine. You may need a number of extension leads to connect the panels to the 4 in 1 depending on how long the supplied leads are but what you are ordering looks fine

Reactions: demented dale

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Hi Dale, the combiner is correct and should connect to the charge controller fine. You may need a number of extension leads to connect the panels to the 4 in 1 depending on how long the supplied leads are but what you are ordering looks fine
thanks . i will let u know how i get, be next month now as away working thanks again x

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
For those of us interested in homesteading and off grid living, solar power is becoming increasingly approachable. One tricky aspect of building such things is understanding how all the components are compatible.

Our latest video explains how to get the right number of panels, the right type of batteries and even wire gauge based upon the hub of the system - the charge controller

Hello BR I had hoped to send you a post showing my panels up and running. Instead I founfd that the solar charger I sent off for has a plug coming from the it to the battery but no leads to connect it to the battery. I looked on their website and they dont seem to have any. What did you do please? https://bateriapower.com/products/30a-12v-24v-pwm-solar-charge-controller

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
For those of us interested in homesteading and off grid living, solar power is becoming increasingly approachable. One tricky aspect of building such things is understanding how all the components are compatible.

Our latest video explains how to get the right number of panels, the right type of batteries and even wire gauge based upon the hub of the system - the charge controller

Hello BR I had hoped to send you a post showing my panels up and running. Instead I founfd that the solar charger I sent off for has a plug coming from the it to the battery but no leads to connect it to the battery. I looked on their website and they dont seem to have any. What did you do please? https://bateriapower.com/products/30a-12v-24v-pwm-solar-charge-controller

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hello BR I had hoped to send you a post showing my panels up and running. Instead I founfd that the solar charger I sent off for has a plug coming from the it to the battery but no leads to connect it to the battery.
Hi Dale,

My unit just has screw terminals for leads. That said yours looks to be an Anderson plug on the end. I'm surprised that they didn't come with a lead to fit it with either battery lugs or croc clips but it's easy enough to make some. That said I would contact Bateria and ask for some!

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Hi Dale,

My unit just has screw terminals for leads. That said yours looks to be an Anderson plug on the end. I'm surprised that they didn't come with a lead to fit it with either battery lugs or croc clips but it's easy enough to make some. That said I would contact Bateria and ask for some!

Thank you BR. Tell me please would these be suitable.
Also I have conntacted the solar company. yes, it seems a bit odd ghat they came with none and there are none available

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Looks right but hard to be 100% without having the unit in my hand
Hello BR and thank you. The company, somewhat ridiculously, does not supply any leads. Do you think these will do. I noticed that they are 50 amp but does that matter? Thanks again for your help. I think we might be nearly there. dale x

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hello BR and thank you. The company, somewhat ridiculously, does not supply any leads. Do you think these will do. I noticed that they are 50 amp but does that matter? Thanks again for your help. I think we might be nearly there. dale x
50A is fine for your setup

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I would be suspicious about using their kit at all if that’s the attitude around the leads.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I would be suspicious about using their kit at all if that’s the attitude around the leads.
Stew. it does seem like that but Its actually really good kit and recommended. The battery lead is the only one they dont supply. it is idiotic buissness practice more than anything else and annoying. x

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE