How much would you pay to stay in woodlands?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
Allowed to light fires, build shelters, hunt rabbits and squirrels etc.
There is no water supply at one of the sites but otherwise i think the owners are open to most suggestions and happy for us and possibly others to use the woods on a regular basis.

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
also for what period of time is this?

I think prob up to a week but still early in negotiations ;)

i've seen anything from 2.50 to 12 on here, depends on location and facilities available i suppose, water, toilets, parking, access, exclusivity etc. good luck :)

Ah i need to check the parking aspect, but no toilets and i believe both are exclusive so far :cool:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I have permission to go into a private wood. So far it has been free but:

• It was on the basis that I wanted to observe wildlife, not do bushcrafting as such
• No fires
• I tell no-one where it is
• I ask permission each time I go in
• I leave no trace
• Day visits only

For a year or so I have been to the wood about once a month and complied with these requirements. Having established my credibility I have, since Christmas had permission to stay overnight and to light fires but have not yet done either.

In return for this I am planning to carry out some ‘surveys’ identifying and photographing insects (shield bugs) and slugs and providing copies of these to the landowners as they are trying to improve wildlife in the wood. (Birds and animals are beyond me.)

The site has no water or toilet facilities so any payment would be tiny – say £2 per day - and I agree with the general line that payment in kind is the way to go – hence the plans to give them something that may be of interest to them. Also, at Christmas, I give a bottle of wine to the person who gave me permission to visit the wood.

Feb 6, 2011
none
Nova&Pinky, Ivan here if you are not talking locally , i could help ,we will chat more at the meet,if its something you want to experience before then give me a shout, atb Ivan

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
That's a really interesting suggestion and one I know we may be interested in.
We've discussed the idea of buying woodland ourselves, but without finding anyone interested in doing a joint purchase, we'd struggle to afford more than an acre at the moment :(

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I'd try and suggest some kind of work in return for use of the wood. Its not as if the "small" amount of money is likely to make much difference to the owner ? By performing some work you would actually be helpful to the owner and (perhaps) contributing to maintaining and enhancing the woodland. Its more likely to help you build a rapport with the owner, rather that simply throwing a few coins at them, and it will probably keep you outdoors and active for a while too !

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Me and Nigel pay a local farmer £20 for a weekend stay on some land set aside just for us. For that we can camp how we like with open fires, fish the river and if we leave all rubbish in separate bags for re-cycling the chap picks it up for us.

To be honest, my next move is to see if he will let me put a small two berth caravan on some of his land, not bushcraft but nice for the winter months and quick overnight stays, no setting up, can arrive late in the day and chill out.

You need to establish trust with a land owner, once he or she sees you stick to your promise of leaving the site as found things become easier. If we don't see the guy on a trip its no problem paying him the next time, he trusts us.

One issue though is who to share your good fortune with. Share with many and see the sites resources used in a flash, or keep it private? We keep it private.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE