How Many Open Canoe Paddlers On Here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Not a SOT, alright?

edwincoracle2.png

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Haven't been out much this year ( in the canoe or anywhere ), but I'm looking forward to my now traditional overnighter at Christmas.

And a sad one.....

Don't worry, the canoe survived, and is still very paddleable.

This was Li'l Cumbrian #2's first paddle, about a month before he was born:

If anyone has any doubts about buying a canoe, ignore them, and just get one.

Cheers, Michael.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
I've been out on my Royalex Nova Craft Pal, ( the fast one- in Red) about 8-9 times this year, did a four day trip down the Wye with Jo, my mate and his wife Julie, also done Bala a few times this year, one was a first meet from SOTP forum guy and gals, can't wait for our first trip up Loch Lomand next year.
Just some pics to remind me!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386112784.002649.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1386112826.371439.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1386112921.860514.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1386113217.196597.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1386113236.667379.jpg

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
I've always loved the idea of a canoe, but always thought you had to kneel in it to paddle. This put me off as i am extremely (dysfunctionally to an extent) inflexible and find it difficult kneeling for any amount of time. But from some of the pics comments here it would appear you can have seats....?

I've always loved the idea of a canoe, but always thought you had to kneel in it to paddle. This put me off as i am extremely (dysfunctionally to an extent) inflexible and find it difficult kneeling for any amount of time. But from some of the pics comments here it would appear you can have seats....?

Yes, most modern canoes have seats. However some people who are super keen will just have what is called a kneeling thwart, an angled bar lower than a seat to rest your bum on while kneeling. You can still kneel with seats as well.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Just an odd question, born I'm sure of ignorance, but why do solo paddlers of open canoes not use the sort of two-ended paddles kayakers do? I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but to the outsider it looks an odd omission.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just an odd question, born I'm sure of ignorance, but why do solo paddlers of open canoes not use the sort of two-ended paddles kayakers do? I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but to the outsider it looks an odd omission.

Some do prefer them, one reason I can think of for not using them is the amount of water you ship onboard with every stroke, with a kayak they're much narrower plus you have the spray deck normally. I like to paddle with the boat heeled over at an angle, the boat handles much better and it allows the paddle to get closer to the body and be more vertical through the stroke, with a double kayak paddle this wouldn't work very well.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK

Lots of reasons, some historical.

To use a double-bladed paddle the lower hand goes through a low arc - the high side of an open canoe would prevent this.

Drips from the paddle blade are unavoidable with a double-bladed paddle. Over a days paddling you can get really soaked.

A single-bladed paddle stows very easily in the end of the boat.

Control with a single-bladed paddle can be better (with a lot of practise when you've learnt the strokes).

Multiple people can paddle a canoe with single bladed paddles. This would be hard with doubles.

Kneeling - this was asked about, above. Kneeling makes you more stable and allows for stronger strokes. However you can paddle perfectly well sat upright in a seat (even with a lower back support on some). It helps if there is something to brace your feet against.

Falcn

Mar 1, 2013
Dinnington
A double 'kayak' paddle would have to be extremely long to be used efficiently in a high sided and much wider boat such as an open canoe. In a kayak the paddler sits almost on the floor and the boat is quite narrow.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I earned the canoeing merit badge as a Boy Scout in my early teens and have paddled frequently since I started back then. I've paddled an Old Town Discovery 146k (polylink) since the mid 90's. I primarily fish flat water, when paddling, with an occasional overnighter on the James River. I have to admit, though, that I spend more time fishing from my poly Perception Acadia (sit inside) kayak. I enjoy paddling both an "open" canoe and a "closed" kayak and look at each as just different craft for having FUN. For those trying to decide, dip the paddle you will not regret it!

scan0092_zpsb0ab74a3.jpg

scan0034_zpse5964b14-1.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A double 'kayak' paddle would have to be extremely long to be used efficiently in a high sided and much wider boat such as an open canoe. In a kayak the paddler sits almost on the floor and the boat is quite narrow.

Nessmuk used a double ended paddle - and so have I on the Orange river.
They work - but I find the single ended paddle works better if you have good technique.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Not near as often as I would like to but yes nothing better than a paddle. Anyone else always struggle to find a picture of them selves from a trip? This is an old one.

NE06_0302_065_zps856e5131.jpg

photo5_zps3ac70c1d.jpg

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
I sea kayak and play boat every Sunday and try to get the open kanoes out as often as we can bearing in mind we only have the sea to paddle on would love to do some river paddling

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I'm here too with my solo boat that can take a tandem pair

P1150086.jpg

and my tandem boat than I sometimes paddle solo... no one said it had to make sense!!

P7270043_zpse62795c0.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE