After a new canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I'm looking for a new hard shell canoe. I bought an advanced elements inflatable kayak quite a few years ago and it has served me well on rivers, lakes and coastal waters. For an inflatable it performs brilliantly. When the kids were small it would hold all of us comfortably, but now they're too big for it, so we need a second canoe.

I've plenty of experience kayaking, up to grade 3 white water, and so I have decided I'd like a Canadian canoe just for a change. And I enjoy the asthetics of Canadian canoes. I've paddled these on various occasions. However my wife prefers the idea of a kayak, with them being easier to paddle.

I found this:

This strikes me as a good compromise. Whereas I fancy myself paddling through the Canadian wilderness for days on end, realistically I'm going to be pottering around local rivers and broads on Sunday with the kids in tow. Has anyone used this canoe? Or can recommend any alternative? (I don't want a sit-on canoe).

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
I haven't used one but it is very heavy and has limited stowage space.

You can get Canadian canoes with seats for kayak type paddling maybe that would be a better compromise?

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Thanks, I hadn't really considered paddling a canoe with kayak paddles, but it seems it can be done.
One thing I also hadn't thought about is that the kayaks I've listed above supposedly track quite well, but are laborious to turn, whereas conversely, a Canadian canoe tends to be better at turning, with the ends being out the water. But therefore are more prone to catching wind. Is this a fair comment?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
. But therefore are more prone to catching wind. Is this a fair comment?

Canoes tend to be higher at the bow and stern than kayaks so, in general, you have to be more careful getting the loading right in a canoe. Think of it as a wind vane that pivots about the heaviest part of the boat - if the wind is coming towards you it is easier to canoe with weight forward; from behind, weight rearward (ignoring the direction of water travel which will also turn the boat). Your looking for a general neutral weight distribution with slight emphasis to cater for the wind/flow conditions.

We have a few canoe instructors on the forum that I am sure will give you much better guidance :)

You can get kayaks that turn on a sixpence but they don't track as well and are harder work for a day's trek; equally, you get some canoes that are easier to keep straight than others.

Last edited:
Reactions: FerlasDave

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
if the wind is coming towards you it is easier to canoe with weight forward; from behind, weight rearward (ignoring the direct of water travel which will also turn the boat).
Ah, interesting, I hadn't thought of this either. One thing's for sure, it's quite an investment, so I won't be rushing into it.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Most big retailers will have test boats or hold open days where they have several types of boats for you to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
A bit late in the day....but there is a builder of wooden canoes (lighter than plastic) not far from you and I.......Weston Canoes. (also cheaper than plastic)
Also a builder of lighter plastic canoes near to us as well.....Silverbirch Canoes, in Duralite??

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Ah yes I came across Weston canoes in my searching. Not badly priced either, all things considered.
But I (we) went for the Prodigy tandem in the end, in part because my better half felt more comfortable paddling something more akin to a kayak than a canoe. In any case we've had it out on some local rivers and also some lakes in Cumbria, where it has performed admirably. Does weigh a ton mind (or 33 kg to be more precise). It also has very comfy seats.

Reactions: Laurence Milton

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE