Canoe recommendations? Single man preferably.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
Hi Folks
Wondering if anyone can give me a little advice on choosing a single man canoe, for trips such as the Great Glen Canoe Trail with a mix of open water and low level river paddling.
No experience with Canoes, but been kayaking for a while. Approximately an 11' Canoe would be ideal, due to storage and transport limitations.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
LTDansLegs

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As I suggested you start this thread, I'd better respond :)

There are way too many options to be able to give you a definitive answer and, in the end, it will come down to budget. My own canoe is a 15' Apache which is a lovely boat to paddle but is heavy to lug around. It's capable of covering serious water and is reasonably priced.

However, if I was buying now I would look at the pack canoes that come in as low a 10 - 12Kg. Swift and Nova Craft make some lovely ones but they are serious money (to me anyway) made in Kevlar or Tuffstuff. Have a look here:

If you like the idea, but not the price, there are cheaper options that start to get up to the 18Kg mark and above. Here is the Apache 12' option:

For someone to haul a boat around on their own I would suggest you need to be less than 24Kg - mine is heavier than that and is a pain to get on the Defender roof rack :)

Good canoes appear on the second hand market but you'll have difficulty finding one that fits all the criteria and will need to compromise on some features (weight, size, material ....)

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
Hi LTDanslegs
If you have the money Ally make pretty decent folding canoes but they don't make anything smaller than 15' ,they fold down in to a car portable bag though.
Have you looked at folding or inflatable kayaks, I have a klepper folder which works for me but are hard to find.
Jules

Reactions: CLEM

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
As I suggested you start this thread, I'd better respond :)

There are way too many options to be able to give you a definitive answer and, in the end, it will come down to budget. My own canoe is a 15' Apache which is a lovely boat to paddle but is heavy to lug around. It's capable of covering serious water and is reasonably priced.

However, if I was buying now I would look at the pack canoes that come in as low a 10 - 12Kg. Swift and Nova Craft make some lovely ones but they are serious money (to me anyway) made in Kevlar or Tuffstuff. Have a look here:

If you like the idea, but not the price, there are cheaper options that start to get up to the 18Kg mark and above. Here is the Apache 12' option:

For someone to haul a boat around on their own I would suggest you need to be less than 24Kg - mine is heavier than that and is a pain to get on the Defender roof rack :)

Good canoes appear on the second hand market but you'll have difficulty finding one that fits all the criteria and will need to compromise on some features (weight, size, material ....)
Again, much appreciated Broch. I think the Nova, whilst very easy on the eyes, is a little out of my price range. The Apache looks like a good option, just wondering is "Pack Canoe" a type or a brand? Need something that can go the distance on lakes and the like, whilst surviving the battering a novice river paddler would bestow.
Many thanks
LTDansLegs

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
Hi LTDanslegs
If you have the money Ally make pretty decent folding canoes but they don't make anything smaller than 15' ,they fold down in to a car portable bag though.
Have you looked at folding or inflatable kayaks, I have a klepper folder which works for me but are hard to find.
Jules
Hi Jules
Cheers for the speedy reply. Both the kayaks I have are inflatable, hoping to use my Itiwit X500 for some multiday trips up on loch Lomond. The stability leave a little to be desired, but it cuts though the water beautifully.
Looking at a rigid Canoe for a little more rugged use, with a higher carrying capacity than the X500.
Many thanks
Ed

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Again, much appreciated Broch. I think the Nova, whilst very easy on the eyes, is a little out of my price range. The Apache looks like a good option, just wondering is "Pack Canoe" a type or a brand? Need something that can go the distance on lakes and the like, whilst surviving the battering a novice river paddler would bestow.
Many thanks
LTDansLegs

Yep, the term Pack Canoe really just means small and light. They are often paddled using a kayak double paddle. I think I would stay clear of anything above grade 2 on rivers in them but that depends on a) one's proficiency and b) the material it's made out of. However, the same applies to some of the larger canoes; the more robust materials are either heavy or expensive.

Reactions: CLEM

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I've done the GGCT, the Great Glen Canoe Trail, 7 times and I've used borrowed/hired and finally in the latter years my own canoe.

I spent my money on a Hou 14 and my reasons were, in no particular order, as follows:

The canoe looked good, like a proper svelte boat, it wasn't too expensive and neither was it cheap. A good mid-ground of a boat that I won't cry about running it up shores and bumping in rivers.... Or storing in a garden.

There are lighter more technical boats for sure but I'm a simple canoe guy.

I went for a 14 as its nicely filled on a solo trip, can take 2 no problem on a day trip and could do an overnighter for 2 if you didn't overpack.

I looked at the collapsible boats which I liked but the biffing I've seen my canoes get just made me stick to a moulded boat.

I followed the Ray Goodwin videos and enjoyed kitting out my canoe to my personal y thoughts.

Reactions: CLEM and Broch

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
If you’re looking at getting a solo boat as others have said I would definitely not advise anything less than 14 foot. I have paddled a 11 footer and I can tell you it’s horrible, waaaay too tippy and for a beginner that’s not what you want.

Also the fact you want to do expeditions means you need room for your equipment, don’t overlook this as once you’ve kitted it out and got airbags etc you’ll soon eat away the space.

Consider hill shape too, they’re all designed for different purposes. So do some research into different craft and manufacturers as they’re not all the same and some may suit you better than others.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
There is a pack canoe which was made by Old Town if my memory serves me.
There are Pack raft inflatable boats which have a good reputation.
I have a Pakboat which fold down into a bag. Similar construction to the Bergans Ally boats.
Also consider the high end inflatable boats like the Gumotex if storage is a problem.

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
Yep, the term Pack Canoe really just means small and light. They are often paddled using a kayak double paddle. I think I would stay clear of anything above grade 2 on rivers in them but that depends on a) one's proficiency and b) the material it's made out of. However, the same applies to some of the larger canoes; the more robust materials are either heavy or expensive.
Good to know, thank you for the info. Will definitely be portaging around rapids and the like, so light is a huge bonus.
Many thanks
LTDansLegs

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
I've done the GGCT, the Great Glen Canoe Trail, 7 times and I've used borrowed/hired and finally in the latter years my own canoe.

I spent my money on a Hou 14 and my reasons were, in no particular order, as follows:

The canoe looked good, like a proper svelte boat, it wasn't too expensive and neither was it cheap. A good mid-ground of a boat that I won't cry about running it up shores and bumping in rivers.... Or storing in a garden.

There are lighter more technical boats for sure but I'm a simple canoe guy.

I went for a 14 as its nicely filled on a solo trip, can take 2 no problem on a day trip and could do an overnighter for 2 if you didn't overpack.

I looked at the collapsible boats which I liked but the biffing I've seen my canoes get just made me stick to a moulded boat.

I followed the Ray Goodwin videos and enjoyed kitting out my canoe to my personal y thoughts.
Whole heartedly agree on needing something that can take a little a bruising, but was looking for something maybe a touch smaller. Basing this mostly on possible transport difficulties and the recommendations of "Getgowin"
, but happy to hear alterative opinions. Will look into the Hou 14.
Would be very interested in hearing more about your GGCT experiences, as its something id like to do in the near future either in my Kayak or a Canoe.
Many thanks
LTDansLegs

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
If you’re looking at getting a solo boat as others have said I would definitely not advise anything less than 14 foot. I have paddled a 11 footer and I can tell you it’s horrible, waaaay too tippy and for a beginner that’s not what you want.

Also the fact you want to do expeditions means you need room for your equipment, don’t overlook this as once you’ve kitted it out and got airbags etc you’ll soon eat away the space.

Consider hill shape too, they’re all designed for different purposes. So do some research into different craft and manufacturers as they’re not all the same and some may suit you better than others.
Ive seen several sites make reference to the airbags, which seem to take up quite a lot of room within the canoe, something I hadn't considered when sizing the boat up. Also heard somewhere that a longer Canoe travels faster, but not sure why?
Many thanks
Ed

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
There is a pack canoe which was made by Old Town if my memory serves me.
There are Pack raft inflatable boats which have a good reputation.
I have a Pakboat which fold down into a bag. Similar construction to the Bergans Ally boats.
Also consider the high end inflatable boats like the Gumotex if storage is a problem.
Heard good things about Old Town, will look into it. Definitely leaning towards non inflatable, but will check out Gumotex.
Many thanks
Ed

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
A 2 person canoe is usually great to paddle alone if you're kneeling and have a bit of weight (big bag of gear) in the front.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Ive seen several sites make reference to the airbags, which seem to take up quite a lot of room within the canoe, something I hadn't considered when sizing the boat up. Also heard somewhere that a longer Canoe travels faster, but not sure why?
Many thanks
Ed

It does depend on how big the bags are, as if you’re a whitewater paddler half your boat is an airbag these days. But you definitely want them especially if you’re carrying kit about.

Longer boat, straighter line as it’s more evenly balanced compared to its width that’s all. Most important part is that the engine works properly and efficiently, that’s you!

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
It does depend on how big the bags are, as if you’re a whitewater paddler half your boat is an airbag these days. But you definitely want them especially if you’re carrying kit about.

Longer boat, straighter line as it’s more evenly balanced compared to its width that’s all. Most important part is that the engine works properly and efficiently, that’s you!
Hahaha well this engine is looking forward to having fresh food on trips like this, hoping the greater capacity of the canoe can afford me the luxury of a cooler.
Many thanks
LTDansLegs

Reactions: FerlasDave

Roughneck

Mar 17, 2021
Chelmsford
Great ready all the bits and bobs about the Canadian Canoe.
I have recently aquired a Venture 14 Canoe UK built 3 Ply etc. Needed some work to spruce it up and re-lace it. Fitted front and rear Airbags and Centre Bags for Rappids and large expanses of water. Also fitted front and rear Kevlar Skid Plates with matching resin "green" to match the Canoe. Due to the condition I did pay a good price so the money saved I was able to fund the extra bits. I do have a Kayak a Wilderness 120 Tarpon, but that now stays behind as I spend more time in the Canoe on rivers and lakes. I have fitted a sail and has transformed it on a windy fresh day.
Wanted to learn more about handling and canoe strokes and sailing. So I arranged a session with Ray Goodwin. Wow well worth the time and money and what an amazing guy. Watching him on his many utube clips to meeting him made me even more committed to canoeing more.
I'm not sure if LTDansLegs has aquired a canoe yet but compared to the load out to the canoe a massive difference in weight and kit, you will certainly get a cool box and carry the odd luxury item's.
So transporting the canoe on the car, I have tried several ways to carry it and have found one that suits me without busting a gut. I do use a C-Tug Trolley which means everything can be loaded and moved. I also Portage it in the traditional way but practice is needed rather then huge muscles which I haven't got.
On your Q's about why does a longer Canoe or Kayak paddle quicker it's apparently the length of the wave or wake the Canoe produces as it's going foreward, it sits on top and falling forward like a surf board. That's the way it was explained to me sounds feasible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE