how many of us are first aid trained?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

First Aid: how well trained are you

• no proper training

Votes: 101 13.1%
  • Trained but the certificate has run out

Votes: 230 29.8%
  • Trained with current certificate

Votes: 440 57.1%

• Total voters

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I've just been reading my theory book on learning how to drive and there is a section on first aid in it. Alot of the questions are asking how you should stabilze a person after a car crash. Now from what I recollect unless you have some First Aid training you shouldn't be touching them, as basically if you do anything wrong you could be liable for their death. Is this the case?

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've just been reading my theory book on learning how to drive and there is a section on first aid in it. Alot of the questions are asking how you should stabilze a person after a car crash. Now from what I recollect unless you have some First Aid training you shouldn't be touching them, as basically if you do anything wrong you could be liable for their death. Is this the case?

This has been thrashed out in several posts. If there is a reason - road hazard, fuel tank leaking, needs CPR, life threatening injuries etc.- get them out

Ask them if they want help. "yes" is a consent. If they are not able to answer and the situation seems to demand it that is an "implied consent".

Otherwise if you are not trained and don't feel up to it, just keep talking to them or monitoring breathing and pulse. Call for help. Someone will be along soon.

Neither be an over zealous Samaritan nor reluctant bystander.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Like Doc, I have medical and surgical degrees and ATLS training. Interestingly, the nature of my work (Orthopaedic and Trauma surgery) doesn't necessarily equip me to administer basic first aid in the field, but I think I cope ;)

I've been "first bike on scene" at a few messy RTAs and other pre-hospital mis-haps. The crucial thing I became aware of was that without kit, I can take basic measures to save life but not the more advanced techniques I am capable of in a theatre or A&E Resus.

Problem is, how much kit do you carry -enough to match your skills-set? Enough to maintain an airway? Chest drain?

As with bushcraft, what you carry in your head remains the most important thing. Even small and simple measures can save life. I would urge everyone to get some training in basic life support. At the very least, it will give you a systematic approach to a scary and daunting situation.

Here's hoping none of you needs a first-aider...

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
f a @ work and trauma care through fire service. used at work, but only a couple of times per year ( but i try not to be first aider) and out (once, nasty rta outside house).

one piece of advice to everyone, open that airway.anything else is a bonus.Forget splints and triangular bandages, airway then maybe cpr, get professional assistance asap.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
First Aid is a required qualification for our school as we use Restrictive Physical Intervention techniques and have to ensure the H & S of the young person involved!

It is also a qualifying qualification for my Expedition Leader Award & Archery Leader qualifications.

I have FAW and am also a Community First Responder, trained and equipped with Automatic External Defibrilator and Oxygen as well as all the usual FAK contents.

Simon

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
i had my REC certs for when i was an instructor, but expired now. got to use it to scrape someone off the base of a cliff a few years ago. (not the cert, the skills learned. and some wound dressings)

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
One of the most important things needed in emergencies is calm. Training in first aid can give you the confidence to stay calm and deal with the problems. Most of it is plain good sense; make sure air is getting in and blood is not getting out!
But I really do think that first aid should be taught from day one at school, as should bushcraft. I guess that is one of the reasons I am a retired teacher, not an active teacher.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
One of the most important things needed in emergencies is calm. Training in first aid can give you the confidence to stay calm and deal with the problems. Most of it is plain good sense; make sure air is getting in and blood is not getting out!
But I really do think that first aid should be taught from day one at school, as should bushcraft. I guess that is one of the reasons I am a retired teacher, not an active teacher.

I agree on both counts. No matter what the situation or seriousness of the casualty I always introduce myself in the same way "Hello, I'm Simon and I'm a First Aider (or more lately - First Responder with the Ambulance Service) and you'r going to be ok".

This has the effect of calming people down and giving them enough confidence in your abilities to let you do your stuff without interrupting.

On the second count - I teach ASDAN Bronze Award as one of mysubjects (Life skills really). One of the topics is emergency procedures, so I have taken this to the next level and taught basic first aid. The pupils have generally taken it well - especially if I set the scene with a video of someone hurting themselves in a grand way from You Tube!

Simon

ManOtheWoods

Jan 25, 2008
Winchester
15:2, but that was last year.

Hi there sorry to cause confusion but the actual ratio for adults is 30 chest compressions to 2 breaths and there is no longer 2 rescue breaths at the begining of resus.
http://www.resus.org.uk/pages/gl5algos.htm
I'm currently in my second year of nurse training and this is our most recent guidelines. This should be accurate as if anyone is likely to be sued for doing it wrong its going to be the healthcare profession. The reasoning behind the 30 compressions is that pessure in the circulatory system is only just about reached at 15 compressions and then its stopped when the 2 breaths are given. Therefore it was decided that 30 compressions would actually give more effective oxygenation to the tissues. The 2 rescue breaths were taken out because it was discovered that a lot of oxygen remains in the blood and it is more important to get this residual circulating than to try and oxygneate it more.
Any queries please ask.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Did St johns a few weeks ago, due to my line of carework Im legally required to do so.
The trouble with first aid is that a lot of the things we do do more harm than good by intervening to much.
When the body goes into shock, the blood pressure drops, the veins slacken and blood pools, this is to allow clots to form and then we come along with intraveneous fluid and blow the new clots wide open. When doctors went on strike in Israel for 1 day, the death rate dropped 80% ! Of course that will involve a lot of different factors, but I suppose my point is that first aid has to be updated on a regular basis. The St Johns course told me they almost decided to omit mouth to mouth from resusitation entirely but felt it was to radical a move. The reason, they said is that the (british medical journal I think?) believe that chest compressions in no way at all are compressing the heart, its to deep in the chest, and what the compressions are actually doing are pushing blood and air in and out of the lungs, thus pumping the heart by proxy. The didnt cut the breathing out though, they reduced it to 2 or 3 breaths per 30 compressions. (Infact I cant even remember and I just completed the damn thing!)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi there sorry to cause confusion but the actual ratio for adults is 30 chest compressions to 2 breaths and there is no longer 2 rescue breaths at the begining of resus.
http://www.resus.org.uk/pages/gl5algos.htm
I'm currently in my second year of nurse training and this is our most recent guidelines. This should be accurate as if anyone is likely to be sued for doing it wrong its going to be the healthcare profession. The reasoning behind the 30 compressions is that pessure in the circulatory system is only just about reached at 15 compressions and then its stopped when the 2 breaths are given. Therefore it was decided that 30 compressions would actually give more effective oxygenation to the tissues. The 2 rescue breaths were taken out because it was discovered that a lot of oxygen remains in the blood and it is more important to get this residual circulating than to try and oxygneate it more.
Any queries please ask.

Good to see a student Nurse here, and good luck with your training.

The whole CPR set changes on a regular basis, compression to breathing ratios maybe a thing of the past.

Clinical lead research in the states (some areas) now says NO rescue breaths at all, just fast comps at about 100 per minute until the paramedics / defib is there, for several minutes.

Practise your first aid at home, keep up your skills, tape up the wife (first aid techniques here please) etc, it really helps. If and when you do get to try out the theory, its a whole new world and it does certainly raise your own BP :)

tuxdad

Feb 26, 2008
USA
Had my first aid training last summer .. I'm looking at possibly taking the next step and get certified as a first responder... After that, will see if wanna try for EMT basics ..

ManOtheWoods

Jan 25, 2008
Winchester
Good to see a student Nurse here, and good luck with your training.

The whole CPR set changes on a regular basis, compression to breathing ratios maybe a thing of the past.

Clinical lead research in the states (some areas) now says NO rescue breaths at all, just fast comps at about 100 per minute until the paramedics / defib is there, for several minutes.

Practise your first aid at home, keep up your skills, tape up the wife (first aid techniques here please) etc, it really helps. If and when you do get to try out the theory, its a whole new world and it does certainly raise your own BP :)

Many thanks for the kind words I need it at the moment. Should anyone have any interesting queries I am just about to satrt a placement on A&E so I could ask these guys.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
My own opinion is thatanyone outside should have the basic skills to "preserve" life...

Just tonite I set my scouts a test of fortitude and ingenuity...broken leg, canvas and poles, and 1/2 mile from casualty, and no one to call...

DSCF6806copy.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE