how many of us are first aid trained?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

First Aid: how well trained are you

• no proper training

Votes: 101 13.1%
  • Trained but the certificate has run out

Votes: 230 29.8%
  • Trained with current certificate

Votes: 440 57.1%

• Total voters

RobertsonPau

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2004
North Yorkshire,UK
Currently got a basic level 4day ticket that is outdoor orientated, but I've done more indepth courses in the past but they've expired now. I used to work with a paramedic who is also an Outdoor Pursuits Instructor and learnt some useful stuff from him.

I've dealt with facial and hand injuries while hanging from a cliff face, and lugged victims off mountains on improvised stretchers. Fortunately I've never had to deal with major breaks in remote places, but did the training just in case.

Paul

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Odd, the poll looks fine for me

I had an advanced certificate from St Johns. I also used to train the younger cadets in basic first aid. I didn't get round to the moving and handling course through St Johns but my dad tought me so I fairly confident with it. (he's qualified to train moving and handling as well as ressusitation for the hospital he works in).

I'm one of four people to have the Nikon award from the st johns group. Thats from 30years of it being around. It was in a major RTA involving a women who had two very large cuts to the head from broken glass that was march 1998 so I was 11 at the time.
On duty we've had one fatality from a cyclist who came off and one guy who died later in hospital along with a few other major stuff over the 6 years

O

OrionN49

I'm trained with a current certificate and also CPR.
I work as a contractor in the oilpatch in Alberta and most oil companies require employees and contractors to have at least the St. John Ambulance basic first aid course as a condition of employment.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've no first aid qualifications.

Have got degrees in medicine and surgery, two diplomas and membership of a Royal College though :wink:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Doc said:
I've no first aid qualifications.

Have got degrees in medicine and surgery, two diplomas and membership of a Royal College though :wink:

how does your training hold up when your off duty?

I remember a while ago there was a bit of fuss becasue a lot of NHS nurses couldn't adapt their training to a camping environment. Ithink some of it was todo with CPR without the breathing kit.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
I've got the certicate for the four day one. Never had to use it in anger. The one time I was involved with an RTA there were more experienced people around so I got relegated to looking after the dog that was thrown out of the car through the windscreen. Not a mark on him. :?:

Also looked at the using herbal remedies with first aid course but work got in the way of attending that one. Have to check when that course runs again

Steve

My certs are out of date at the moment, but I did spend 10 years in the St. Johns Ambulance as well as working as a qualified first aider for some years after that, so I'm fairly confident if it comes down to it :wink: Had to use it in anger a couple of times, including once when I had to do full CPR for about 15 minutes as there was no one else who had any idea and the Paramedics got stuck in traffic. Probably one of the most exhausting things I've ever had to do.

2Blackcat said:
Also looked at the using herbal remedies with first aid course but work got in the way of attending that one. Have to check when that course runs again
Any chance of someone posting some info on that course?

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
I have attained first aid training at various points through my life although the last one [as a sub set of the PADI Rescue Diver qualification] is probably in a lapsed state.

It is probably fortuitous that my wife is a nurse.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I have been a guest of our Emergency many, many, many times (stabbed, slashed, puntured, ripped, broken, contused) and have paid great attention at the medical treatments that I was privy to :eek:): :rolmao: :p :eek:): Along with St. John and the Red Cross first aid course I am fairly well versed in pain and suffering :rolmao: :?: I shouldn't have said that!!!
just a confused thought :nana:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Been learning first aid since my cub days.... been a four day first aider for the last 12 years too and still valid now.....still learning all the time...
Did a basic medics course in the TA too...

Cuts, fainting and sickness are my main conquests as an aider....only once did I worry I might have a problem with a casualty (mountain bike brake level through a boys themoral artery when he went over the handle bars) but he was ok in the end as the ambulance got to us pretty quick luckily and I had other instructors to help with the pressure application.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I've had first aid training pretty much since I was 16 and currently hold FAW Certificate. I've had to deal with the usual fainting, splinters cuts etc with the cadets. The worst incident was an RTA in Germany when I was in the Army, when a Landrover with a British Army Driver and 3 American officers crashed into a lorry carrying eggs of all things. There was blood and eggs all over the show. I dealt with a chap (one of the American Officers who'd had his nose sheered from his face and was delirious, the hole in his face was about the size of a small tea plate and of course bleeding heavily. He wouldn't lay still and was ranting a fair bit. An experience I'll never forget.
While We were dealing with the accident a staff car pulled up to the scene, an American officer got out and went to the landrover wreckage and pulled out a briefcase, got back in the staff car and drove away. They didn't help at all, so there must have been something very very important in that briefcase !! Another memory of this incident was an arrogant German driver who refused to be diverted past the accident. He insisted on going past and told us we were not the police so wasn't going to pay attention to our instructions. We were just doing as we'd been trained to do and that was traffic control in the event of an accident, but that German guy wasn't playing the game. He was a very arrogant person.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
falling rain said:
Another memory of this incident was an arrogant German driver who refused to be diverted past the accident. He insisted on going past and told us we were not the police so wasn't going to pay attention to our instructions. We were just doing as we'd been trained to do and that was traffic control in the event of an accident, but that German guy wasn't playing the game. He was a very arrogant person.

That's fairly rare in my experience, I've usually found the German locals very friendly and helpful.....always one idiot though hey wherever you go and it's usually me that finds them! ! ! :?:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE