how many of us are first aid trained?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

First Aid: how well trained are you

• no proper training

Votes: 101 13.1%
  • Trained but the certificate has run out

Votes: 230 29.8%
  • Trained with current certificate

Votes: 440 57.1%

• Total voters
i have recieved the four day at work course a long time ago and done a few refresher courses in previous places of employment, i did a red cross first aid course for my DofE many many moons ago buit i am currently not trained as they have all lapsed.
but i am off on the first aid course being run throught this site in a couple of weeks so will be certified again.
fortunately i have not had much cause to use any of my previous training despite working with behaviours that challenge,
regards
Sam

Well it is official
I am certifiable!!
As a trained first aider I hasten to add.
I attended the explorer four day first aid course run by Wayne at Forest Knights,
the course was highly informative, Wayne was extremely knowledgeable of the subject and supplied all information and training in a relaxed fun way, he had a wide amount of related tales with which to deepen the information, and as for the simutlations they were well in one part harrowing and another educational,
the night assesment came off brillantly in part from Wayne's instruction and from Barney's supurb leadership!
if anyone is thinking of doing a first aid course with specific leanings towards the outdoors/bushcraft I would totally recommend Wayne's course.
I was always a little concerned about my first aid knowledge or rather lack there of before I attended the course but now whilst I still hope i never need the training I am confident i would be able to deal with anything should it happen.
Regards
Sam
PS no connection with wayne or forest knights other than a very happy customer who is now looking at other courses they offer.

Purdy Bear

Jun 5, 2009
SE London
I was a first aider for about 6 years, but it is well and truely lapsed.

I still keep my hand in some in the family, but not much else.

My brother is in the St Johns, so when I want to redo it, and have the get up and go to do it, I'll go see him.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I did a course last week, my 5th, it was the minimum for NGB awards ie 16hrs taught time inc. CPR.

It was Ok but not an outdoor one. I would reccommend Dave Craig or any BASP course as the scenarios really do put the theory into context.

Minor cuts and faints, 12-13yr olds filing in a hot room who have skipped brekky, are the main thing I deal with at school in the workshop and recognising when kids get cold on outdoor learning trips are the main skills.

Nick

I'm a qualified first aider as well as instructing first aid to young people and about to start instructing adults through both Hearstart Scheme and the Scouts First Response scheme.

I have completed all sorts of courses, combat first aid, HSE, peadiatric, Mountain Rescue / Wilderness and have been "doing" training for the last 18 years through the different roles I've had at work.

I am one of these sad buggers that enjoys it. I also enjoy passing on my skills to others and make sure that courses I organise or deliver have a certain degree of "realism" (Just ask the fainters I've had!!)

It matters not the amount of training you've had however until you have to actually use it. CPR rarely takes place with a slim looking streile dummy. Normally you are surrounded by wailing family members with overweight individuals, struggling to find that "notch" whilst emptying their mouth (and occassionally yours in the "old" days) of vomit and body fluid.
Try counting compressions whilst trying to instruct others to do something!

Similarly, blood gets messy and it's not at all pleseant realising that someone is dying in front of you and there is nothing you can do to help them.

I've dealt with some pretty horrendous injuries from gun shot and knife wounds to multiple RTA's and amputations and it's not even really my line of work!!

Everyone should have basic first aid training because it really could make the difference!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
whilst emptying their mouth (and occassionally yours in the "old" days) of vomit and body fluid.
Similarly, blood gets messy and it's not at all pleseant realising that someone is dying in front of you and there is nothing you can do to help them.

Been there - training realy does help you cope!
Mind you the adrenaline "come down" after is not good.......

Hangman

Tenderfoot
Did my Search and Rescue medics training in the RAF, have done the FaW certificate every four years since about 18 months ago.

As for the ratios I've seen it go through and end up full circle, I first did rescue breaths 13 years ago, seen it dropped, now back - I sometimes think that the changes are there for the sake of change (rolls eyes).

wildman695

Forager
Jun 17, 2009
Ilfracombe, Devon
I spent many of my younger years as a member of the St John Ambulance Brigade as an instructor. And worked for a while in a hospital instructing nurses how to appy bandages. It is now a very long time since my certificate ran out.

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
After completing my first aid course I joined the Red Cross as a volunteer. They keep my certificate valid and offer free weekly lessons, in return I'm expected to volunteer as a first aider at events a few times a year. Another advantage: they offer aftercare (as my dictionary calls it) for just the things you mentioned, John.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I have a current basic FA Certificate inc defib. However, I trained as a Team Medic (basic battlefield medicine- Cannulas and giving sets, intubation, EMERGENCY tracheotomy etc (but NOT wound stitching) in the Army 17 years ago. That training was more valid than the FA I do now.

A valid FA cert means little to me. It's something an employer has to cover their ar$e!

What you can't do is gauge what someone has retained. I'm sure we all know someone reasonably highly qualified in one particular field but has for gotten some of the basics or is not very good at them.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE