Homesteading reality - in a picture

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That sounds grand Nemesis - all the advantages of working in a big city with precious few of the disadvantages. I confess I fail to see why big firms insist on people schleping into offices these days when, in reality, 90% of them can do thoer job from home. Habit I suppose. Good on you for bucking that trend!

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
That sounds grand Nemesis - all the advantages of working in a big city with precious few of the disadvantages. I confess I fail to see why big firms insist on people schleping into offices these days when, in reality, 90% of them can do thoer job from home. Habit I suppose. Good on you for bucking that trend!

You're so right and I try to nudge my clients in that direction with their staff. Most people I know who home work probably do more meaningful work than those who don't and unless you're a half wit of an employer it should be pretty easy to notice that occasional person who sits at home doing nothing. It means you don't have to have expensive London office space and to my mind stafff are far more positive when working for an employer who trusts them. I think habit certainly plays a part and simply that somehow it feels like cheating.

I heard on the radio travel warnings about 2 hour delays coming my way out of London so made sure I took the long way back down the garden from the shed out of solidarity. Doubled my commute to a whole 30 seconds. :)

In terms of pickling, have you tried eggs pickled in malt rather than white vinegar? Much nicer flavour to my palate.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Yes, the dependence on offices is madness in the world of high speed intenet. In a previous job I used to work form home the day before Board meetings to get my head around evything and always got way more done by three pm than if I had worked a silly long day in the office.
now its a shorter commute to school and I still would rather be on my allotment or cooking what we grow, but still, one day........we are getting closer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE