Making Sauerkraut

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Danny1962

Nov 12, 2014
Maidstone, Kent
Making Sauerkraut is a traditional way of preserving cabbage without refrigeration, it is also very healthy as it introduces beneficial bacteria into the gut. It tastes far better than the shop-bought sauerkraut. It relies on fermentation of the sugar in the cabbage whilst it is submerged in a 2-3% salt solution, using natural yeasts and bacteria. The sugar ferments out of the cabbage, and this is what causes the tangy taste. There is no vinegar used. It is very slightly alcoholic but you’d need to eat an entire bucketful of the stuff to feel any effect. You’d turn green and queasy long before you ever got tipsy.

Equipment:

Clip-top wide-mouth jar (such as Le Parfait or Kilner) , 1 * 750ml jar per 900g of cabbage
2 large bowls
Food processor
Chopping board and long sharp knife
Glass tea light holder (not lead crystal, and must be able to fit through the mouth of the jar)

Ingredients:

Salt (not iodised, this can inhibit the reaction), 25g salt per 900g of cabbage
Cabbage, red or white

Method:

Cut the cabbage into a few large chunks, small enough to get into the food processor. Discard the heart and any wilted outer leaves.

Shred the cabbage, the finer the shred the better it will juice
Put the shreds into a bowl, mix the shreds with the salt, wait a few minutes. The salt draws the juice out of the cabbage.

Pack the shreds into the jar, press them down using the glass tea-light holder

The cabbage will sink beneath the juice (do not pour the juice away or let it overflow)

Pack more cabbage into the jar if it will fit, but leave around 2cm gap at the top to allow for swelling / fermentation.

Press down again.

Leave the tea light holder in place, as it will keep the cabbage submerged (it must be kept underwater to prevent spoilage and for the necessary reactions to take place). You can also use a cabbage leaf to help keep the mixture underwater.

Leave the jar at room temperature for around a week, unlatch the lid to release gas pressure twice daily for the first few days, until the fermentation has subsided.

Then move the jars to a cooler room to mature.

The sauerkraut will be edible around 3-4 weeks later but the flavour will mature with time. It will keep for many months at ambient temperature.

The same technique of brine pickling works with many other vegetables, for instance carrots, small cucumbers, peppers, cauliflower etc. Many of the East European food shops sell ready made brine pickles, but for shelf life and consistency these are pasteurised which removes some of the goodness.

It is best to make several jars at a time, since there will be some cleaning up to do afterwards and it’s the same amount of washing up however many jars you make.

You can eat it cold as a salad, or serve it with a bean stew, or with sausages and potatoes. It goes well with cured meat, like chunks of corned beef, or with salami in a rye bread sandwich.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Great post, I lived for a good long while in Austria and Germany where they make much of their own, and you're right, it's nothing at all like the shop goo......

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I love sauerkraut and often add a generous portion to soups and stews (inspired by bigos) Unfortunately the wife cites the "strange and unusual cruelty" clause in British matrimonial law so I have to be careful with doseage and timing. ;) the only time I tried to make my own the side effects were so bad that I almost divorced myself

Aug 17, 2013
North wales
Our family sauerkraut recipe adds some shredded carrot, whole black peppercorns and bay leaves. We make 5 gallons at a time in a brewing bucket. The cabbage is pressed down by a circular board weighted by a housebrick (in a plastic bag). When the sauerkraut is ready, we portion it out into useable amounts, then frozen. (Well, you can't eat that much sauerkraut in a couple of weeks)

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
This afternoons activity.
uploadfromtaptalk1486826337796.jpg

I am really hooked on this stuff. It is so much better when you make your own. I think the shop bought stuff is pasteurised so it loses its crunch and the probiotic benefits. I haven't been able to test how long it keeps as I keep eating it all!
I'm eagerly awaiting the ramsons coming up so I can try fermenting them.

Z

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Nice one.
i had a go at making some before xmas, but, for some reason it sat and stared at me then went green (er) and mouldy. Not sure what i did wrong, but our house is very cold.
Will give your method a go as i love the stuff.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I appreciate your helpful advice. I inherited a nested set of sauerkraut crocks.
I have 6 different recipes. I took the average of them. I tried 3 times, all black rotten, so quit.
Admire the magic to make it happen, tastes good, not by my hand, I'm afraid!

We have 2 kinds in the store: the real salt sauerkraut and a "wine sauerkraut" which is dreadful.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wish I liked this stuff, Himself does, but I find it most unpleasant. I do like coleslaw though, and I do like the Chinese pickled cabbage, but that's so salty that even I can't manage more than a couple of spoonsful of it.

I am really tempted to try making it at home, just to see if it is better than the stuff from the supermarkets.

Robson Valley ? Himself agrees with you about the wine sauerkraut, he's no fan of it either.

Danny1962 ? Thank you for the tutorial, nice and clear and informative, and I think I'm going to give it a go :)

M

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Tried to make it once as all the stuff I have eaten in restaurants has been ace, but it was a total failure, feel a bit better to know that I am not alone in this !
should try again......

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It is important to sterize all utensils you use including the glass container. Also use Organic cabbage.
Organic cabbage ( or veg) are coated with the natural occuring Lactic Acid producing bacteria that do the fermentation.
I leave it in the kitchen for about 2 days, then it goes into a room that is no more than 12 C.

If you oversalt, the fermentation might not happen.

If you want to get used to it, try it cooked first. Try a dish called Szegedin Goulash

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Intresting microbiological process. Example of ecological seral stages of succession as several species of bacteria dominate, one after another.
Good exercise at the second or third year level for a microbiology lab. Maybe 6 weeks to monitor the changes. They always made good kraut, too.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Intresting microbiological process. Example of ecological seral stages of succession as several species of bacteria dominate, one after another.
Good exercise at the second or third year level for a microbiology lab. Maybe 6 weeks to monitor the changes. They always made good kraut, too.

RV, a question: I have always been told that you can not inoculate a new batch from the old one, as the bakterial process changes.
Is this true in your opinion?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yes it cannot be done. Salting the cabbage sets up an environment which excludes all but some halophyllic (salt-loving) species of bacteria.
Very few bacterial species can live on the raw cabbage, but they thrive. They are changing their environment by their actions. This begins to make an environment
where they have exhausted their resources. At the same time, there's a new opportunity for new species to thrive in the wastes of #1.
This happens several times as the seral stages in succession. The last user is the climax species community, they cannot thrive on raw salty cabbage at all.
You can't put the cart before the horse.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
At any point in this progression of bacteria and changing cabbagey mixture, is it toxic ?
I am wary of botulism and the like.

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
At any point in this progression of bacteria and changing cabbagey mixture, is it toxic ?
I am wary of botulism and the like.

M

No, safe all through the aging process. In central Europe ( and Poland and Russia?) you can buy fermented veg in specific, different fermentation stages. They never lost the art of lactic fermenting, which the rest of Europe did and is now rediscovering.

Cucumbers for example, can be bought in the Czech Republic over the counter in delicattesen shops and farmers markets, in the different stages. Hungary the same, but in a much wider range of veggies.

A friend gave me a jar of sour mini watermelons, between one and two cm in diameter!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE