Making Sauerkraut

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Amazing, what is next?
:)

I do not have a clue what kale/kail/ cole is in Swedish or One of the Norwegian languages.

(Wiki says it is called Grönkål in Swedish)
Cabbage is "kål" or "hodekål" (head-kail/kale/cole) in Norwegian.
"Grønnkål" in Norwegian, or "grönkål" in Swedish is this:

https://goo.gl/images/PGmkqD

Grønnkål just means green-cabbage/kail/ etc etc...

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Just to be sure that I don't confuse you peeps, this is "kål" or "hodekål":

https://goo.gl/images/MDHD3h

In Swedish that one would be Vit kål ( white cabbage). Or less specific kål huvud ( 'head cabbage' referring to the shape) but that can aldo refer to the red cabbage.
Note that this is cabbage that can be stored for periods of time.
To make our life even more confusing / interrsting, in Sweden we have something called Färsk kål (Fresh cabbage) which is fluffier and greener and does not store well. Same veg as cabbage but picked later.

In Europe I would say Brassicas were the most important sources of Vitamins and Minerals before the South American imports.
Brand, peas and lentils were the most important sources of protein ( plus vitamins and minerals).

One Brassica I love with all my heart is Kohlrabbi. Raw, gently braised, pickled.

I am not do much a Chernobyl guy, more a Yellowstone guy.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
We also have Nykål "New Cabbage" since it is an earlier harvest. It is a regular head of cabbage. It is one of my favourites! Ooooh, I always look forward to the season for Nykål. Yummy!

Thanks for the recipe Janne!

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes! Steamed with lots and lots of butter, and sprinkled with salt.
When I buy Kohlrabbi in Norway, it usually comes with the leaves. Those I use as a veg separately. Here it is imported from the US without leaves and waxed.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
In UK we used to pick Sea Kale on our weekly walks in Seven Sisters Country Park or Dungeness. Delicious, better than Kale, more flavour and 'meatier' leaves.
Was never sure if it was allowed, never asked.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE