Making Sauerkraut

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I also did the Korean Kimchi a couple of times. But that kind of cabbage (Napa Cabbage) goes soft and flabby, so what we have been doing is to spice up white cabbage, thinly julienned, Korean style. With carrots and bell peppers.

The funny bit was when I proudly told my mum about it, she told me it was a an ancient Czech way too.
I guess traders between Europe and Asia took the dish with them, either way!

When we moved to Sweden in 1970 we could not get Sauerkraut, so my parents did their own. But you could get it in Norway, tasting exactly like in Bohemia. The Swedish cuisine was horrible in those days.
The German way to make Saurkraut is a little bit different, in some areas they add white wine.

The British cuisine is an enigma for me. The Brits have lost the taste for breads other than wheat, brined and smoked meat and fermented veggies are mainly forgotten.
I think it is the industrialisation and extensive railroads that made thus preserved foods unneccessary from the mid 1800's on. Fresh meat and produce could reach the consumer most of the year, co no need tor preserving?
Also the Brits are/were huge meat eaters.

I read a book written by one of the POW's in Colditz, where he wrote that they were served uneatable food like dark, dense bread and uneatable, disgusting sour cabbage, plus weird sausages.
I guess it was Rye bread/pumpernicel, sauerkraut plus the generic hot smoked sausages?

I find food extremely interesting.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No. I don't believe there's need to worry. The salty environment is the kiss of death to most organisms except the few that can
accomplish the series of fermentations to "pickle" vegetables.

Then you are well aware of the salt cured "corned" beef, as well.
Here "corn" refers to the cereal grain-sized salt crystals popular in the process.

As I am well aware of the ins and outs of the biochemistry of the process, I'll be damned if I can bring it off in my own house.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Arya, we always bring back some from Norway. Noras. Very convenient, already cooked in the foil pack!
Just warm and serve!
Haha, yes that is the most popular one 😁 Very covenient, and good company with so many traditional meals.
But this is the first time I've heard about someone bringing home sauerkraut/surkål from Norway 😁

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Interesting the way foreign language seems somehow familiar….your Norwegian surkål translates as soorkail in Scots :)

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Haha, yes that is the most popular one �� Very covenient, and good company with so many traditional meals.
But this is the first time I've heard about someone bringing home sauerkraut/surkål from Norway ��

When we return home, we have one or two 25-30 kilo styrofoam box full of frozen fish fillet ( own catch) and a suitcase full of Mills Kaviar, kyst bacon, surkål, dry sausages various sorts, frozen whale meat, fenalår,.....
Well, in short, half of what you can buy in Norway!

Interesting the way foreign language seems somehow familiar….your Norwegian surkål translates as soorkail in Scots :)

M

The Vikings brought over not only their DNA but also theirlanguage. It was Norwegian and Danish Vikings that successfully civilized the British Isles.
Swedish Vikings created Russia ( Rus) and tried to civilize the Ottoman Empire, but they were to few.
Kirk = kyrka / kirke

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm a lowlander Janne, soorkail is lowland Scots, it's more akin to the Germanic than it is the Scandinavian. Similar to the way Norwegian is related to but distinct from Danish.

Some words are pan north atlantic though, weather ones in particular :D

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yep :D

Hear ? I wonder how kail would do for this ? real kail I mean, not cabbage.

If it kept it's rich green colour, and there were peppers or carrots added, that'd be a cheerful looking dish too :approve:

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Might be worth a try with Cavallo Nero cabbage, hard to imagine anything taking the colour from that, eh?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Sampling sauerkraut made by friends, we all agreed that the variety of cabbage has a lot to do with the flavors at the end.
"Savoy(?)" was terrible.
The leafy green that we call 'kale' might be OK.
There's only one way to find out.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Kail, kale, cole….all apparantly the same thing :)
Well, so says t'internet. I mean the curly dark green leafy veg.
Ye gods, look what I found …. :D someone's made a Wikipedia in broad Scots ! :D :D

https://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kail

M

Amazing, what is next?
:)

I do not have a clue what kale/kail/ cole is in Swedish or One of the Norwegian languages.

(Wiki says it is called Grönkål in Swedish)

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Personally, I'd give the kale a miss.
3' high, 3' across, bug infested and more holes in the leaves than a sponge.
Found the stems with an axe and tossed all onto the compost heap.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eh ? ours is clean, crisp, pretty looking foliage stuff. It's as hardy as the hillsides and it tholes all weather, sun, rain, frost, and constant picking.
Your's sounds like it's never been picked. It's the better for it, it really is. It's the constant fresh greenery of an overcast dreich Winter. Tastes good, does you good, makes great soup, etc., and it doesn't even need much care. Keep and eye on it for the cabbage whites, and that's pretty much it.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
OK. Guess I didn't know what to do with it.
I did not plant it in my garden. Gifted with the best of intentions, I suppose.

Our concept of "winter" is somewhat unlike yours.
There isn't a snow drift in the garden more than 5' high.
Likewise for the berms of plowed snow along the edges of the street.

3' grass to deal with then maybe peas and green beans this year.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've no idea how it'd do under snow for months on end, but it manages fine for a few weeks here. Even in the Highlands it was grown in the kailyard….basically the walled kitchen garden where it was at hand and free from the predations of most grazing animals. It seems to thrive on being picked often. Makes for fresh green stuff even in the dead of Winter. Strip the leaves and steam and keep the stalks, cut them up and poach in broth for soup :D No waste :D
It's like Brussell sprouts in that you can keep it outdoors in the garden and it's fresh all the time.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE