Red's Spiced Pickling Vinegar Recipe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As has I suspect become apparent, we are preserving like crazy right now. Today I began the fun of preserving 20 pounds of pickled onions :)

As much as a good onion / shallot is important to a top rated pickled onion, I can guarantee that a first rate, fragrant, delicate, spicy (NOT hot), infused pickling vinegar will absolutely transform a pickled onion (or any other pickle for that matter).

To get this, you need really good quality aromatics, properly infused.

Over a third of a century I have been experimenting. I have finally arrived at a mix that I consider just right. Its a complex mix, and is designed to flavour malt vinegar for pickled onions - I use other mixes for other foods and vinegars.

Spices by British Red, on Flickr

To make 75g of mix (which is enough to flavour 4 litres of vinegar which should pickle 5 kilos of onions) you will need

2 tbs of Black mustard seed (must be black, other colours are inferior)
1 tbs of whole allspice berries
2 tsps of green cardamom (not black - that is too harsh a taste)
10 whole cloves
10 whole dried chillis (medium - tabasco or similar - reduce for hot varieties)
1 tbs of whole green peppercorns (never black - far too pungent)
2 tbs of Szechuan pepper
1 tbs of Juniper berries
5 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick

Please note that all of these spices are whole and not ground. Ground spices leach into the vinegar making it cloudy and muddy. Whole spices infuse the vinegar leaving it clear and flavourful.

Mixed Spice by British Red, on Flickr

The spices need to be put into a pan with 4 litres of good malt vinegar

Spiced Vinegar by British Red, on Flickr

Bring the vinegar up to the boil and then immediately turn off the heat. Leave to infuse overnight and then dtrin through a fine sieve to remove the whole spices

Strain by British Red, on Flickr

The taste is subtle, fragrant and delicately spicy. Makes an amazing pickle.

I understand that for many some of the more esoteric spices are hard to come by, but trust me, its worth it. Its also tricky that many are only available in large amounts :(. If you really want some and don't have a big spice cabinet, I'll sort you out :).

Red

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I really must make some home made red cabbage this year (if I can find any in the shops). Ever thought about selling ready made spice mixes?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its not a bad idea that Imagedude - I would be happy to if people think there would be a demand?

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'd make my own but it's not really economical in small amounts. It's not that I can't afford to just that I object to the inevitable waste of the spices that don't get used.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That is indeed the problem I agree.

I'll put together some mixes and we'll see how they go. If there is anything particular you want - ground or whole - do drop me a PM

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'd make my own but it's not really economical in small amounts. It's not that I can't afford to just that I object to the inevitable waste of the spices that don't get used.

Same here. I occasionally stock up on black mustard seed etc and get into a Thai/Malay theme, but then find them in the back of the cupboard a year later lacking their essential aromatics.

Some fresh mix would be the way forward I reckon. I'd go for enough to spice about 5lbs of onions. Any more than that and I lose my rag with peeling them. ;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Same here. I occasionally stock up on black mustard seed etc and get into a Thai/Malay theme, but then find them in the back of the cupboard a year later lacking their essential aromatics.

Some fresh mix would be the way forward I reckon. I'd go for enough to spice about 5lbs of onions. Any more than that and I lose my rag with peeling them. ;)

Okay - I'll knock some up when I get a minute - that would be about a 40g bag - suitable for mixing with a 2 litre can of vinegar which works out well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE