Pickled mushrooms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I picked around 2 pounds of chantrelles earlier which I have cleaned and pickled into 1 jar.... yes ONE jar.... Not even a big jar at that. Pickled in vinegar which was a first for me as normally i would do oil for mushrooms so not to impart the acidity into them.

It took me about 3 hours to clean and prep the mushrooms (for ONE jar!) however they were button ones so less mushroom per fiddle with the brush. Then dry fried to get the water oot of em so they can pick up the vinegar for preserving (otherwise the water spoils the mix and you get unpreserved mushrooms which defeats the purpose) Added some thyme, sugar, peppercorns and salt to the mix and chucked in a kilner jar.

Now just have to wait a week to see if they taste OK - they tasted lovely before the vinegar was added and horrendously acidic after despite some addition of sugar to the mix but then my chutney never tastes great until on a cheese sarnie some months later!

Anyone else pickled mushrooms in vinegar?

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Sure... I pickle jews ear mushrooms and I've recently tried pickled hedgehog mushrooms from last year.

I use pure malt for the jews ears, a good teaspoon of rock salt/sugar (per large jar) and whatever's to hand, from bay to fennel, wild onion, chilli, red pepper.
Will be experimenting with a wide variety if we get a glut locally. Blewits are supposed to be ideal along with larch bolettes ect but I would probably use spirit vinegar and water.

Time is the trick to pickles as me mam used to say :)

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Sure... I pickle jews ear mushrooms and I've recently tried pickled hedgehog mushrooms from last year.

I use pure malt for the jews ears, a good teaspoon of rock salt/sugar (per large jar) and whatever's to hand, from bay to fennel, wild onion, chilli, red pepper.

Considered adding chilli but thought I would leave it out this attempt, I'll be doing plenty of experimenting over the coming weeks n months though. Pure malt ey, a good excuse to get the bottle out for a dram at the same time :D (not that I need any excuses) :p

Do you brush the spines off the hedgies before pickling?

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I think he may be referring to Malt Vinegar not Malt Whisky ?

Considered adding chilli but thought I would leave it out this attempt, I'll be doing plenty of experimenting over the coming weeks n months though. Pure malt ey, a good excuse to get the bottle out for a dram at the same time :D (not that I need any excuses) :p

Do you brush the spines off the hedgies before pickling?

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I've not pickled any shrooms - but it's something I'm gonna have to give a go.
Chants already in Scotland? are you finding them out earlier this yearthan last? The earliest I found some in the Lakes was middle of August.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Yep... that's malt vinegar, but feel free to have a swig :)

Spines where on the hedgehogs, I think its more cooking its advised to save your dish getting 'gritty'. Wild fennel also adds a nice twist to a jar or two.

Enjoy!

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
pickled mushrooms in whiskey, not so strange as whiskey and mushroom goes very very well together, i hate the taste of mushrooms which is a shame as its such a plentiful bounty of a food source...

give the whiskey mushrooms a go and let us know how they taste after a month....

regards.

chris.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
pickled mushrooms in whiskey, not so strange as whiskey and mushroom goes very very well together, i hate the taste of mushrooms which is a shame as its such a plentiful bounty of a food source...

give the whiskey mushrooms a go and let us know how they taste after a month....

regards.

chris.

Well I defo got that one wrong.. eeeek. However maybe I am on to something with the pure malt shrooms. Loads of mushy weeks to go so I'll break open a bottle of peaty lagavulin and see if it goes well :D As said, it gives me a good excuse to........ ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE