hobo or honey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hobo or honey

• Total voters

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Hobo gasifier mark I complete. Might redo the outer can though as the hole tge inner can sits in isn't ready small enough. Test burn and modifications this weekend methinks.

Looks good, I made a similar one from a kids formula ( SMA ) can and a large tomatoes' tin the only difference was that I took the bottom ( lid ) off and was able to slide in an Ikea hobo stove in-between the inner and outer cans, fire kit went inside the chamber, cap it all off with 2 plastic lids and Bob's your Uncle, might have to make another one soon :)

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Ordered 9th January and arrived today, posted from Manchester and not China :)

Unbranded, appears to be well made and nice durable looking pouch.

For £10 I am happy with it.
stove%202_zps9cpofu3m.jpg.html

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I forked out years ago for a Bushbuddy stove. Have never regretted it. Serves all my solo needs, and even when I'm camping with other people I take it as I can often boil water faster than anyone else on the site.

Bought a nice new honey stove from Backpackinglight.co.uk had it two weeks used it once and my son took it down to local woods to use...2 weeks past and I asked where my stove was packed (his bag I think) go'e into get it from the pack and find a empty green pouch with the smaller part for the stove in...! :( I ask him where he'd put it and with that he ran out a down to the spot he stayed 2 weeks prior...:( bad news fro me no stove...Now I have a nice cheap woodgas stove from china that cost a lot less and burns better (i Think) fits inside of my Coleman Exponent Non-Stick Cook Set (fits inside the smallest) ... don't think I'll get another from Bob and rose (very nice folk though ring you to make sure your items arrived).
lesson learned is that my son now buys his own :):lmao:

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
For those people that mentioned the canteen cup stove where in the UK can you get them?

I think the hobo stove appeal for me was that I made it, it was cheap and it actually works.

The Manchester seller seems sold out at the moment, I might drop them an email to ask when back in stock.
Buster

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I got one of those wood gasifier stoves as mentioned in this thread. I have only used it in anger once, but it was a bit of a sod to use. Feed it too slowly and it starves, feed it too fast and you choke it. I ended up relighting it twice as I got the balance wrong. It doesn't take much either way. It's a nice idea but I didn't get on with it.

I want to try the honey at some point, but right now can't justify yet another stove when I'm already approaching double figures...

J

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
I love a good thread resurrection! I've used my hobo gassifier... should probably say (hobo wood-gassifier) a few times now and it works just fine. Need to put a stand on it but by faithful feline has already polished off some waitrose fancy tinned cat food. Empty tin should be about the right size :)

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I got one of those wood gasifier stoves as mentioned in this thread. I have only used it in anger once, but it was a bit of a sod to use. Feed it too slowly and it starves, feed it too fast and you choke it. I ended up relighting it twice as I got the balance wrong. It doesn't take much either way. It's a nice idea but I didn't get on with it.

I want to try the honey at some point, but right now can't justify yet another stove when I'm already approaching double figures...

J

Sums up my experience with the wood gassifier stove - I replied earlier on this thread (post #9) as an excited new owner of a cheap Chinese copy before I had the chance to use it in anger. I know some people swear by them but I found it very frustrating to use with anything other than bone dry fuel for short boils rather than proper cooking - the need to regularly take the pan off to add sticks cut to a specific lengths was for me a real downside.

I will persevere but in the meantime, I splashed out a bit more than a tenner on one of these Emberlit copies (nb - it seems to be a bit bigger than the originals Emberlits, which IMHO is a good thing).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIXADA-Stainless-Steel-Folding-Wood-Stove-for-Camping-Cooking-Picnic-AY-6V30-/131620185095?hash=item1ea52ca407:g:XWIAAOSw4HVWEknT

Not super light (600g) and takes about a minute to assemble (unlike the folding ones) but sturdy and easy to light and more importantly, easy to keep going with surprisingly large (and once it is going less than dry) sticks.

The first time I used it, I had it going for 7 hours to make charcloth and experiment with different cooking set ups and last weekend at the North Wood "bluebell" meet, I had it going for 3 plus hours to cook a hearty beef stew for three in a full 14cm Zebra pot and used a full sized cast iron frying pan to do a fry up for three.

Combined with a plumber's mat to catch the fine ash and any ends of sticks which escape from the generous feeding port/bushcraft TV screen, IMHO it is the perfect solution to situations where you want a decent wood fire to cook on or to keep yourself warm but need to keep it off the ground.

acheter

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2016
Poland
www.pishop.de
for this to really work as a woodgas stove you would need some holes along the bottom of the burn chamber, so that the air rising on the outside of the burn chamber can pull the woodgas up along with it for secondary combustion. otherwise, nice work, i am currently thinking about making a hybrid wood gas rocket stove, if executed properly i think it would be quite efficient.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Neither...

How about one of these?

http://canoepaddler.me.uk/Products.php

The company ships fast and are very helpful , all my questions were answered promptly.
I got the Trinity in the end as it's lighter and do not regret it, serious cooking (three pots) in one stove .

No affiliation, just a happy customer.

:)

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
How well does a meths burner or esbit/hexy work in a woodgas?
What meths burner works best - trangia types or monkeyboy?

Would be interested in anyones experience
Thanks in anticipation

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
I really like my woodgas burner, but I find that if you're cooking / brewing any significant amount of food or liquid, especially for a couple of people, I will need plenty of 'natural' fuel (twigs, kindling etc.) prepared nearby, because it definitely seems to consume this type of fuel quite quickly. Never had a problem with soot, it has always burned the fuel very cleanly once up to temperature and working efficiently.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE