hobo or honey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hobo or honey

• Total voters

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
i'm talking stoves here.

looking to sort out a small wood burning stove to heat water and or food for 1 person maybe 2.

not that bothered by it being trangia compatible.

Now I made a hobo stove from a waitrose espresso ground coffee tin (I'm a very upper-middle class hobo dontcha know) which fits in and under a billy quite nicely but i don't know how long it will last.

is it worth forking out some cash for a stainless steel shiney or just keep making hobo stoves - I have about 6 empty tins waiting if needed!

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Thanks copper head.

I used a mates one that was identical to that but got tired of taking the pot off to refuel and then wait a min or 2 for tge gasifier effect to kick in.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
In the eternal struggle of gear choices there's no contest between a classic tin-can hobo and the Honey-stove, the hobo wins IMHO.
Though I would urge you to try building a DIY woodgas stove and see how you get on with it.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'd expect the tin can hobo stove to last weeks of daily use. If you're happy with it and the cans are free with your coffee then there's no point in spending money on anything else.

I prefer a wood gas stove for the cleaner burning but honestly they are a bit of a pain to get burning cleanly and the pots still get more sooty than I'd like.

If I'm only doing a short trip I'll use an Optimus or similar just to keep the pots cleaner.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I prefer the canteen cup stoves - compact and covers 90% of my needs

I have looked at severasl wood burners and the folding pocket stove worked well

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Canteen cup stove also for me now, fits the Trangia burner, wood chips, pine cones etc... Simple and sturdy just like me.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I prefer a hobo-style stove. This one is a "two burner" model. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• twig_stove2b.jpg
    twig_stove2b.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 485
  • twig_stove3b.jpg
    twig_stove3b.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 490
  • twig_stove4b.jpg
    twig_stove4b.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 487

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Well I do like my honey stove but I think for price and your intended usage. Id go for a woodgas stove, £10 well spent and I use mine in preference to my honey stove and ikea cutlery holder hobo stove.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/291637159651

Funnily enough, I took delivery of one of these Chinese wood gas stoves yesterday - a "Lixada" branded one (I assume that they are all made in the same factory) and was pleasantly surprised at the quality.

Intending to use it with a Trangia burner (I have the Trangia "Mini" set - standard burner but just a small aluminium stand which does not keep the heat in and struggles to vapourise in cold weather) so hoping that the double skinned section will assist in vapourising the fuel with the bonus of being able to fall back on "biomass" fuels if/when the meths runs out on a longer lightweight hikes trip.

Planning to give it a bit of a workout with the Trangia, some cat litter and any dry biomass I can find.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Funnily enough, I took delivery of one of these Chinese wood gas stoves yesterday - a "Lixada" branded one (I assume that they are all made in the same factory) and was pleasantly surprised at the quality.

Intending to use it with a Trangia burner (I have the Trangia "Mini" set - standard burner but just a small aluminium stand which does not keep the heat in and struggles to vapourise in cold weather) so hoping that the double skinned section will assist in vapourising the fuel with the bonus of being able to fall back on "biomass" fuels if/when the meths runs out on a longer lightweight hikes trip.

Planning to give it a bit of a workout with the Trangia, some cat litter and any dry biomass I can find.

Yeah I agree, I ordered mine via aliexpress a couple of years a go and was quite impressed by the finish. Especially so given the price. I use a small 'monkey boy stove' (vaseline tin filled with loft insulation as a wick for meths) in mine as a back up to burning wood. I'm sure the Trangia burner would work very nicely.

Anyway nice bit of kit and I've never found keeping the fuel topped up that much of a hassle.

DSC_0138_zps1ipewmzp.jpg

Brynglas

I picked up a Four Dogs Bushcooker earlier in the year:

98baa0f78dc8a1ba6bc142bff08c8f15.jpg

04c3e2a14bbdf15d824e2b645d9b20f3.jpg

a92ffb5e9b2369255e0f41fedd51f6af.jpg

Not the cheapest but it's very tough and we'll made, it's also very efficient and I've used it with meths, wood and charcoal. It's titanium so very light and strong.

So far I can't fault it.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I like that a lot.

Are there supports under the fuel tray or is the tray just wedged into the tapered basin.

Glad you like it! The floor of the stove is made from a piece of stove pipe that I pounded flat, drilled some holes in, then bent the ends and some tabs over to raise it above the vent holes. Normally these bread pans are 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 inches deep but I found some pans that are 3 inches deep and I found that works better.

attachment.php

Attachments

• twig_stove5b.jpg
    twig_stove5b.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 449

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Yeah I agree, I ordered mine via aliexpress a couple of years a go and was quite impressed by the finish. Especially so given the price. I use a small 'monkey boy stove' (vaseline tin filled with loft insulation as a wick for meths) in mine as a back up to burning wood. I'm sure the Trangia burner would work very nicely.

Anyway nice bit of kit and I've never found keeping the fuel topped up that much of a hassle.

Wildstoves sell a kit based around a very similar looking (but much pricier) stove which includes a Trangia burner so it should work.

http://wildstoves.co.uk/wild-woodgas-stoves/wild-woodgas-stove-budget-duo-kit/

I've seen various utube vids showing similar stoves using cat litter and densely packed vertical twigs and lasting a decent time on one fill.

I've got a plumber's soldering mat which I've used to save the grass/wooden tables etc. from my Kelly kettle which should do the same job - my stove came with a small bowl for gel fuel which should catch most of the ash anyway.

Looking forward to giving it a go. :)

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland

DSC_0138_zps1ipewmzp.jpg

Cheers copper_head, the comments on the option of monkeyboy type stoves and using a trangia convinced me that I ought to try one, and I was interested in seeing how woodgas stoves worked and performed anyway.

I see potential for a lot of versatility in one of these stoves, so my finger could not help but press the buy button :p, ta mate.

Incidentally, I bought from this site, not because it was a few pence cheaper, but because it had a decent feedback, says located in Manchester, but the business seller information takes me to China, will be interesting to see how long it takes to be delivered.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wood-Gas-...338569?hash=item41a2bf9449:g:f6kAAOSwaA5WjnPj

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
i think the plan then is to try and create a wood gasifier hobo stove.

there are SO many tutorials but I'm going to use the coffee tins i have and a regular food can so cost will be all of £0.00p and maybe 30 mins of my time.

again i wasn't that impressed by my mates but i'll see how i get on with one in the garden. no sense in spending money when i don't need to!

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
i think the plan then is to try and create a wood gasifier hobo stove.

there are SO many tutorials but I'm going to use the coffee tins i have and a regular food can so cost will be all of £0.00p and maybe 30 mins of my time.

again i wasn't that impressed by my mates but i'll see how i get on with one in the garden. no sense in spending money when i don't need to!

I am looking forward to your designs, nice project.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Honey stove, can be four sided for a brew up or larger 6 sided for a meal or bush tv, packs down to a lightweight flat package that takes up beggar all space. Use it with a meths burner or twigs/pine cones/charcoal with ease. What's not to like?
The main negative comment in reviews seems to be that it takes a few minutes to assemble...... I don't know about you but my time outdoors is about relaxing, not rushing to get stuff done.

Rob.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Cheers copper_head, the comments on the option of monkeyboy type stoves and using a trangia convinced me that I ought to try one, and I was interested in seeing how woodgas stoves worked and performed anyway.

I see potential for a lot of versatility in one of these stoves, so my finger could not help but press the buy button :p, ta mate.

Incidentally, I bought from this site, not because it was a few pence cheaper, but because it had a decent feedback, says located in Manchester, but the business seller information takes me to China, will be interesting to see how long it takes to be delivered.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wood-Gas-...338569?hash=item41a2bf9449:g:f6kAAOSwaA5WjnPj

Good stuff, I think they're a great bit of kit. Must say though I've never tried proper cooking on one, I suspect it would be a struggle to cook anything that required simmering or lower temperatures. Their real strength is quickly boiling water.

When using the monkey boy burner I invert the the fire bowl to raise the burner up a little.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Hobo gasifier mark I complete. Might redo the outer can though as the hole tge inner can sits in isn't ready small enough. Test burn and modifications this weekend methinks.
20160112_232200.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE