Heart Attack In A Pan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 8, 2006
Mississauga, Canada
For all of you who don't care about your cholesterol...
An old Canadian bush recipe from the logging camps of northern Ontario:
1/2 pound bacon
1 cup brown sugar
Couple slices of bread

Fry up the bacon in a frying pan,
put the bacon aside for eating later,
mix the cup of brown sugar into the bacon fat in the pan,
drop in your two slices of bread, and fry up.
You'll think you died and went to heaven...and if you you eat this every morning you will! ;)

Reactions: Lithril

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
You Canadians are lightweights! We eat the bacon then have the fried bread/sugar for dessert ;) .
Just kidding, sounds like a good way to calorie up on a cold morning.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
I think that's criminal and you should be ashamed of yourself for posting such foolhardy and potentially damaging advice... now where is that pack of bacon *grubbing about in back of fridge*

Anyone else got any heartstopper recipes?

That reminds me - theres a camp ground in the lakes which has a bacon buty van on site - don't, I repeat don't, go anywhere near it if you are about to head up the fells. I nearly had a coronary after one particularly good bacon and egg butty. Okay - it was two! I confess!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice starter..but wheres the main course? I sense a lack of sausage, black pudding, mushrooms, beans, bubble and squeak, eggs etc.

And no reference to tea :eek:

Red ;)

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
British Red said:
Nice starter..but wheres the main course? I sense a lack of sausage, black pudding, mushrooms, beans, bubble and squeak, eggs etc.

And no reference to tea :eek:

Red ;)

I' m with you Red - really dont understand why theyd ignore the bacon.

soldiered with the Norwegians for a while a quarter century ago. They had the same principles of carbing up heavy in the morning 3 courses for breakfast, hot soup/stew for lunch and crispbread sodalls for dinner - worked a treat though.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
bambodoggy said:
Isn't Scotland the home of the "deep fried mars bar"? :lmao:

YES and bl**dy lovely. A few years ago i saw some real hard men,peat cutters, we were on the island of Uist and at about 5.30 in the morning they were tucking into full scottish breakfasts(bacon,egg sausages,black pudding,fried mushrooms,fried bread,haggis,beans.) and swilling them down with pints of electric soup(80 shilling ale),and not a drop of tea or coffee insight, they must of had four pints of electric soup each before heading off to cut peat. Needless to say they all looked in mighty fine health.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
bambodoggy said:
Isn't Scotland the home of the "deep fried mars bar"? :lmao:

you bet ya it is
and lots of other stuff two
deep fried pizza,
deep fired steak pie,
deep fried haggis,
deep fired black pudding,
deep fried white pudding,

in fact the chip shop down the road from my student flat would try to deep fry anything that you suggested one Christmas we had deep fried mince pies they were great. The deep fried Christmas pudding wasn't a great success though !!!!!!

stone said:
I had deep fried mushy peas in Daventry in 1999

now i wouldn't mind trying that:cool: :D

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
jdlenton said:
in fact the chip shop down the road from my student flat would try to deep fry anything that you suggested one Christmas we had deep fried mince pies they were great. The deep fried Christmas pudding wasn't a great success though !!!!!!
Funny, I never really liked deep fried mice pies (the pastry soaked up too much grease) but deep fried christmas pudding was great, and I don't like it as a rule. You have to slice the pudding then chill it before you batter it. And you have to fry it in beef dripping, not vegetable oil for maximum coronary damage :)

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
jdlenton said:
you bet ya it is
and lots of other stuff two
deep fried pizza,
deep fired steak pie,
deep fried haggis,
deep fired black pudding,
deep fried white pudding,

now i wouldn't mind trying that:cool: :D

Argh! You're making me home sick :(

Mmmm. Deep Fried Creme Egg from the Kinness Fry Bar :approve: . Have to let it cool though - injury by molten creme egg is a quick way of getting laughed at by the nurses at A&E.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Porridge made on a stove or fire (doesn't taste the same on a cooker) made with condensed milk!

A good sized portion sticks a good few thousand calories inside you and sets you up for a days walking.

However don't leave it on too long or you end up with toffee and oats :D ........
......and a need to buy a new pan :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE