Healthy Eating

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Oh thank you Goatboy :)

A thread where the Scots discuss healthy eating with the Americans - I'm going to enjoy this!

Could you maybe also discuss religious tolerance whilst you are at it? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

486694_467187566724623_2128209998_n.png

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I came on here to see if there was any updates on the hogweed thread. The thread concensus was that yes everything does taste better either with bacon, butter or covered in sugar.

The basic laws of foraged food are
mushcrooms
mushrooms first try fried with butter and garlic, if not great try with frying with bacon. If these methods fail fry in sesame oil and dress with soy sauce and brown sugar. Disguard any species as inedible if these cooking methods fail.

Green stuff
Green stuff first fry with butter, if it tastes bitter try agian first boiling in water, throwing away water then frying in a pan that had bacon in it. Dont mix green stuff of foraged origin with bacon until you know it tastes ok, other wise you will end up crying into your beer as you have just ruined good bacon on some weed that tastes like ear wax. If this method still produces green stuff that tastes yukky, try agian by shredding the green stuff then deep frying then covering with soya sauce and brown sugar.

roots
Wash all the dirt off, peel, gain a deep aprication of the last three thousand years of farming of why we eat cultivated un-nobbly non-gritty veggies. be thankful to our ancestors. Slice thinnly, boil for bit, then fry with butter and bacon. Give up and make chips instead.

Fruit
Fry with butter, dust with brown sugar. Bacon optional.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Can someone recommend an establishment where I can get a deep fried pizza? (of the half cooked pizza then dipped in batter and fried variety).

In/Near London if possible, but I am willing to make a Pilgrimage.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
On the Mexican front They eat more eggs per capita than any other nation on earth. Around 438 eggs each a year. In recent years the bird flu scares meant that so many chickens had to be slaughtered that their was a national shortage before bird numbers could be built up again. There's even moves in their parliament to exclude eggs from a proposed food tax as they are considered such an important and inexpensive source of protein. And with 186 mg of cholesterol, which is 62% of the recommended daily intake it may go some way to explaining the weight problem - though in balance there is debate as to the consumption of cholesterol intake and the bodies production of it.

Go to work on an egg!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
On the Mexican front They eat more eggs per capita than any other nation on earth. Around 438 eggs each a year. In recent years the bird flu scares meant that so many chickens had to be slaughtered that their was a national shortage before bird numbers could be built up again. There's even moves in their parliament to exclude eggs from a proposed food tax as they are considered such an important and inexpensive source of protein. And with 186 mg of cholesterol, which is 62% of the recommended daily intake it may go some way to explaining the weight problem - though in balance there is debate as to the consumption of cholesterol intake and the bodies production of it.

Go to work on an egg!

Traditional Mexican food and modern Mexican fast foods are also both high in carbs.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've just returned from Mostar, in Bosnia Herzegovina.

They have their own version of a calzone pizza - instead of bread, it uses ground beef, made into a patty and folded over like a calzone. Stuffed with healthy stuff like cheese, then cooked. It is truly the size of a standard take-away calzone and probably contains enough calories to feed a grizzly for a week.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
though in balance there is debate as to the consumption of cholesterol intake and the bodies production of it.

Where's the debate? I thought that for the past 20 years it was an established fact that dietary(?) cholesterol has zero correlation with bloodstream colesterol to the extent the statement is printed in "Basic Medical Biochemistry".

More anecdotally. I have also heard that....

"Studies proving eggs are 'bad' were done with powdered eggs instead of real eggs to provide a double blind facility in the study. The problem being that powdered eggs had most of the fat removed so they did not go off".

"The study that 'proved' high dietry cholesterol and fat are bad for you, via numbers, filters out several cultures such as the Masaai who had somewhere around 70-80% of their calories from saturated fat but had none of the disease that 'go with it'. "

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I'm essentially made of Bran Flakes, oatcakes, fruits berries and nuts. It's all I eat these days. Can't beat a nice glass of water too.

Edit: I should eat more porridge though...

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Where's the debate? I thought that for the past 20 years it was an established fact that dietary(?) cholesterol has zero correlation with bloodstream colesterol to the extent the statement is printed in "Basic Medical Biochemistry".

Where on earth did you read that? It's not right.

About a year ago I had very high cholesterol, very high 'bad' cholesterol. Family history of early death from heart problems.

I tackled it with major diet changes. Complete removal of dairy, reduction in animal fats (almost no bacon or chorizo), increased intake of foods with 'helpful' fats.

Cholesterol levels altered to 'healthy' balances and overall level.

You are what you eat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE