Healthy Eating

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Where on earth did you read that? It's not right.

About a year ago I had very high cholesterol, very high 'bad' cholesterol. Family history of early death from heart problems.

I tackled it with major diet changes. Complete removal of dairy, reduction in animal fats (almost no bacon or chorizo), increased intake of foods with 'helpful' fats.

Cholesterol levels altered to 'healthy' balances and overall level.

You are what you eat.

There's no way I am getting into debate with you about something you are betting that much on.

You have the link to the latest study suggesting the statement is true.
You have google.
You have a brain.
You have the free will to choose whether to research or not.

I expect it's from the resurgence in the popularity of the Adkins Diet. It keeps coming back from time to time.

Uh. No. It isn't.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ok. I looked at the link. I also notice that said journal has no standing with either the FDA nor the ADA. And their findings are contrary to both organizations.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I prefer to process information on the basis of whether it adds up or not.

Who is saying it, who they are associated with or not associated with, who approves of who is saying it, how many people believe it, why they believe it..........are all things that I have found to be largely irrelevant when determining the % of truth of a statement.

A "this organisation" or "that organisation" seal of approval or disapproval does not change the underlying % of truth of a statement. It only tells us who is "buying in" to believing in the statement.

The % of truth we must determine for ourselves, or choose not to determine.

On the other hand if someone provides a genuine critique of the methods use to reach the conclusion used in a statement, then that I would find relevant.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
If you are what you eat, our politicians must live on a diet of deep fried a***h***s. (I hope that was enough asterisks, mods feel free to replace if required)

It also depends on what you do. The farm worker of yesteryear could tuck into a huge breakfast because there was no central heating and worked long cold hours. Don't need it/can't use it up if you sleep with the temp at 70 deg and sit in an air conditioned office. (as I have done, I'm not pointing fingers here)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
There's no way I am getting into debate with you about something you are betting that much on.

You have the link to the latest study suggesting the statement is true.
You have google.
You have a brain.
You have the free will to choose whether to research or not.
You are right.
I have researched this, very very thoroughly.

The waters are muddied by previous ideas on the effects of cholesterol. What's not disputed is that the balance of types is as important, if not more so, than total levels.

Harking back to days of yore, when all workmen ate fried breakfasts, etc, is a little daft. They died young (relatively). I'd quite like to live past 60, thank you very much.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....It also depends on what you do. The farm worker of yesteryear could tuck into a huge breakfast because there was no central heating and worked long cold hours. Don't need it/can't use it up if you sleep with the temp at 70 deg and sit in an air conditioned office. (as I have done, I'm not pointing fingers here)

That's very true. They had that amount of work and heavy diet and yet were far from obese. However, they did die much younger than we do today. Some of that mortality rate was obviously due to less advanced healthcare, And some of it due to problems with water contamination. But the fact remains that a large part of it was due to cardiovascular problems associated with that diet.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
You are right.
I have researched this, very very thoroughly.

The waters are muddied by previous ideas on the effects of cholesterol. What's not disputed is that the balance of types is as important, if not more so, than total levels.

Harking back to days of yore, when all workmen ate fried breakfasts, etc, is a little daft. They died young (relatively). I'd quite like to live past 60, thank you very much.

I assume this bit

Harking back to days of yore, when all workmen ate fried breakfasts, etc, is a little daft. They died young (relatively).

is not in any way assigned to me.

So it's a fail all way round then?

Indeed. (assuming you mean fail is not 100% outcome).

As I have said elsewhere, every decision we take is a gamble, based on what we think the probabilities are.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Where's the debate? I thought that for the past 20 years it was an established fact that dietary(?) cholesterol has zero correlation with bloodstream colesterol to the extent the statement is printed in "Basic Medical Biochemistry".

More anecdotally. I have also heard that....

"Studies proving eggs are 'bad' were done with powdered eggs instead of real eggs to provide a double blind facility in the study. The problem being that powdered eggs had most of the fat removed so they did not go off".

"The study that 'proved' high dietry cholesterol and fat are bad for you, via numbers, filters out several cultures such as the Masaai who had somewhere around 70-80% of their calories from saturated fat but had none of the disease that 'go with it'. "

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract

This post is wrong. It is fueled by

1. concern that the idea of dietary cholesterol is still a debate (when it doesn't need to be**) and that would send people on bum steer.
2. an extreme dislike of debates.
3. shortness of time.

The first one is OK. The other two aren't and taint any good intention.

** which is of course my own conclusion

I was listening for agreement. I was not listening for understanding. (pretty much evidenced by me asking a question then answering it myself).

For anyone that wants the underlying stuff (to use for whatever way they see fit)

the statement about "basic medical biochemistry" comes a book called "beyond the zone" but I do not have the book to provide better references. And I don't remember much else about the book.

That book is piggybacking(or something) off a book called "the Zone diet" by Barry Sears.

IIRC the basic conclusion in that is that elevated insulin in the bloodstream is a cause, not a symptom, of heart disease and it is all aimed at keeping your insulin in "the zone" by eating meals that are 30%, 30% and 40% of fats, carbs and protein. (by calories not weight).

This should be easy to verify/refute.

The demonisation of saturated fat began in 1953, when Dr. Ancel Keys published a paper comparing saturated fat intake and heart disease mortality. His theory turned out to be flimsy, to say the least, but the misguided ousting of saturated fat has continued unabated ever since.
Keys based his theory on a study of seven countries, in which higher saturated fat intake equated to higher rates of heart disease. However, he conveniently ignored data from 16 other countries that did not fit his theory. Had he chosen a different set of countries, the data would have shown that increasing the percent of calories from fat reduces the number of deaths from coronary heart disease.

as should this

Tribe Primary Diet Percentage Saturated Fat
Maasai tribe in Kenya/Tanzania Meat, milk, cattle blood 66 percent
Inuit Eskimos in the Arctic Whale meat and blubber 75 percent
Rendille tribe in NE Kenya Camel milk, meat, blood 63 percent
Tokealu, atoll islands in New Zealand territory Fish and coconuts 60 percent

and (not good for the low carbs mob) this

The low-carb crowd is very much aware of these statistics, which are often used in defense of low-carb diets as the best choice. Tell that to the Kitavans in Melanesia, who get about 70% of calories from carbohydrate and, like the Inuit and Masai, are almost entirely free of obesity, heart disease and other chronic, degenerative diseases that are so common in industrialized societies. We see a similar absence of modern diseases in the Kuna indians in Panama and the Okinawans of Japan, two other healthy indigenous populations that get about 65% of calories from carbohydrate.

I can't think how verifiable this is

In the 1960s, a Vanderbilt University scientist named George Mann, M.D., found that Masai men consumed this very diet (supplemented with blood from the cattle they herded). Yet these nomads, who were also very lean, had some of the lowest levels of cholesterol ever measured and were virtually free of heart disease.
Scientists, confused by the finding, argued that the tribe must have certain genetic protections against developing high cholesterol. But when British researchers monitored a group of Masai men who moved to Nairobi and began consuming a more modern diet, they discovered that the men's cholesterol subsequently skyrocketed.
Similar observations were made of the Samburu -- another Kenyan tribe -- as well as the Fulani of Nigeria.

The basic premise for looking in this direction is that I haven't seen anything yet that indicates that the whole heart thing is not a recent problem. i.e. I don't hark back to the days of fried breakfasts. I think one needs to go much further back than that to get a better picture.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wow this moved from lighthearted to serious. Different peoples have had to adapt their diets to what was viable in their area. And Natural selection has made the best of what it can in the time available, though human development has kind of messed with this in more developed countries due to farming and business.
Good luck to an Inuit trying to grow a nice crop of wheat up on the icy tundra. No they had to survive on berries, mosses, fat and meat. They didn't necessarily live to a great age but it was a lot longer than one who decided to be a skinny veagan.
Those Maasai may be skinny due to diet and exercise partly, but they are also an incredibly body conscious people where the men are lined up and judged publically on how pretty and tall and skinny they are. The ones that don't meet the criteria don't get the bride or the cattle dowry that'll allow him to pass on his genes.

Most things are OK for us in moderation and if we try to mix a broad range of foodstuffs that would be found locally and don't overindulge them then we should be OK. Over generations our bodies have adapted a little to make the most of what we can obtain. Like why there are fewer folk with dairy intolerance in the west due to generations of milk products due to farming methods. Or the higher numbers of diabetics in India which is a body response to help deal with famine.

We may not all live to 100, but A) who want's too and B) who's to say that that's how long we should live. I think if we balance and enjoy we can be healthy 'till we die. (The sickest guy I ever worked with (for a short time as he was never in) was a fruitarian. You'd think that a diet of fresh fruit would be wonderful but it did him no favours in isolation of other nutrients.)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......The low-carb crowd is very much aware of these statistics, which are often used in defense of low-carb diets as the best choice. Tell that to the....and, like the Inuit......are almost entirely free of obesity, heart disease and other chronic, degenerative diseases that are so common in industrialized societies.......

Ummm. No. The Inuit are obese and do suffer from all those.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Swallow, I'll stick to advice and info from recognised sources such as the BMJ, British Heart Foundation, etc, thanks.

I have read both sides of the argument. I understand the arguments about excessive carb consumption, particularly fructose and the role of certain sugars in metabilising into fats in the blood.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....We see a similar absence of modern diseases in the Kuna indians in Panama and the Okinawans of Japan, two other healthy indigenous populations that get about 65% of calories from carbohydrate......

The Okinawans and Japan as a whole seem to have the lowest obesity rate and longest average life span in the world. However, when studying their diet, it must also be noted that they only consume (on average) less than 60% of the recommended TOTAL daily caloric intake (or only about 1200 calories per day) regardless of source.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE