Has anybody..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
ever gone to stay with a tribe or people living traditionally? I would love to go and live with a tribe somewhere but cannot find any information as to how to contact them etc? Does anybody have any information?

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Theres always North Wales,if you wait by a stream in the morning they'll come out to drink.Try not to startle them,they scare easily. LOL

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
At least the language barrier is eventually overcome. I was married to a Geordie girl for 36 years,born in the shadow of Vickers. After 3 years I worked out that "Ah div'anah wha' yeer takkin' aboot man" actually meant "I am unsure as to exactly what you mean ,old chap" ..:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

H

He' s left the building

Have you thought about: http://www.vso.org.uk/

I've spent a wee bit of time in E Africa and other places, I couldn't do it now in the current financial climate with a family to feed... (euro/pound is one-for-one, grumble, grumble...!)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
ever gone to stay with a tribe or people living traditionally? I would love to go and live with a tribe somewhere but cannot find any information as to how to contact them etc? Does anybody have any information?

Did you have a people or place in mind?

A good grasp of a common language is something you should develop, French, Arabic, Portuguese or whatever, it'll make your time at your planned destination more rewarding.

Theres always North Wales,if you wait by a stream in the morning they'll come out to drink.Try not to startle them,they scare easily. LOL

:lmao:

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Did you have a people or place in mind?

A good grasp of a common language is something you should develop, French, Arabic, Portuguese or whatever, it'll make your time at your planned destination more rewarding.

:lmao:
No need. they all understand English if you talk really loud and very slowly.;)

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
You could try going on a Raleigh International expedition. I went to Chile on my trip and we did several comunity projects with marginalised people. One of the groups we worked with saw themselves as sea gypsies and recieved no goverment aid.
Raleigh have expeditions going on all around the developing world depending on where you want to go. www.raleighinternational.org
Ta Ed

BOD

Can you live with other cultures whose language you do not speak and who may only speak English poorly?

Are you comfortable communicating with people in a third language e.g French with a Rumanian?

The limiting factor usually is your ability to cope with other people whom you have have little cultural affinity.

A difficult environment is a small problem if you have a sense of cameraderie with your hosts but can be overwhelming if you feel isolated as well.

You ability to get on with people in your own culture is no indicator of how you will do. I have seen very sociable people crumple in a different community and seen so-called misfits bloom and end up staying for a couple of years.

The VSO suggestion is an excellent one.

Good luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE